Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

$680 fuel surcharge on LAX-SYD-LAX ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I recently bought 2 Economy W fares to be able to use my GPU's. Here are the fare/taxes breakdowns:

LAX-GIG-LAX (W fare)

1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $1,808.00
Taxes/Fees

U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax $33.40
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge $10.50
September 11th Security Fee $7.50
Brazil Embarkation Tax $36.00
TOTAL $1912.90

LAX-SYD-LAX

1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $1,593.00
Taxes/Fees

U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax $33.40
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
Australia Passenger Service Charge $51.00
Australia Passenger Movement Charge $47.00
International Surcharge $680.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
September 11th Security Fee $2.50

TOTAL $2428.90

I called UA and asked what the $680 international surcharge was for the SYD flight - they said it's a fuel surcharge.

Both the Rio and Sydney flights are about a 14 hour flight (roughly). Why does the SYD flight have a $680 fuel charge and the Rio flight $0.

Both flights are on all UA metal.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
i'm no law expert but perhaps due to laws at each destination/jurisdiction governing how fares may be advertised (e.g. must be bundled vs. base fare only) ?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I believe fuel surcharges are not allowed by Brazillian law, so they roll it into the fare.

Brazil has a few consumer-friendly regulations. Another is that they regulate baggage limits, which I believe is 2 free bags minimum.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Brazil law "forbids" airlines to create a separate line for fuel surcharges.

Airlines create a separate item line for fuel surcharge primarily for tax reasons, but removing the fuel surcharge will not reduce your airfare, they will just build it in the base airfare instead and pay more business tax.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Airlines create a separate item line for fuel surcharge primarily for tax reasons, but removing the fuel surcharge will not reduce your airfare, they will just build it in the base airfare instead and pay more business tax.
Tax reasons? I don't think so. Deception is sole reason they do it... the US govt now requires airlines to show the full price on their own websites so it's now less deceiving than it used to be. But when UA publishes its fares to 3rd parties the fuel surcharges are not included in the base fare.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfingboy
They still have to pay the 7.5% excise tax on the YQ.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Could this have anything to do with the Australian carbon tax?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Could this have anything to do with the Australian carbon tax?
No.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:50 pm

Why don't they just do it for every fair? I mean, incorporate it in price. Is there a benefit into separating that?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18669376

But they will pass on the cost to us. Or does this only apply to Quantas?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by trupper999
Why don't they just do it for every fair? I mean, incorporate it in price. Is there a benefit into separating that?
Because that would be too consumer friendly..the whole reason fuel surcharges were introduced in the first place were to lure people in with a low fare and then slap the surcharge on right at the end along with all of the taxes. All about deception and psychology.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Because that would be too consumer friendly..the whole reason fuel surcharges were introduced in the first place were to lure people in with a low fare and then slap the surcharge on right at the end along with all of the taxes. All about deception and psychology.
Yeah, but now that fares have to be quoted as all-in from the start, what's the benefit?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Yeah, but now that fares have to be quoted as all-in from the start, what's the benefit?
I agree.. I see no benefit yet they still do it. You can't even get the full fare including surcharges on ExpertFlyer.. the airlines lobbied the govt to allow them to continue to publish fares without taxes/YQ to 3rd parties.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Two big motivations for fuel surcharges:
1) Avoiding the 7.5% excise tax - more money for them.
2) Easier/faster to change when fuel prices are volatile. Just update one YQ charge rather than refiling thousands of fares per city pair. I believe there's a GDS capacity issue here the makes the latter untenable.

There's no marketing advantage since the fare search engines will all include the taxes and fees from the start, and the new DOT advertising rules require the fuel surcharge to be included.

I agree.. I see no benefit yet they still do it. You can't even get the full fare including surcharges on ExpertFlyer.. the airlines lobbied the govt to allow them to continue to publish fares without taxes/YQ to 3rd parties.
Sounds like an ExpertFlyer issue... ITA Software has no problem displaying the all-in fare from the beginning.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA
Some airlines charge YQ on award tickets (not UA), which makes international awards more expensive. Maybe they also get some more revenue from "complimentary" tickets from Amex Plat.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.