Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best way to book the following itinerary: HKG-SXM-EWR-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

So i'm trying to find the best deals to get myself from HKG to ST. Maarten, then to EWR and back to HKG. I can use miles to book the trip, though it doesn't give me enough time in EWR. I essentially need 4 days in SXM, and 2 weeks in EWR/NYC area before heading back to HKG.

If i were to book HKG-EWR-HKG it's 2500USD in late august (no idea why it's this high- it's never been that high), then i could use miles to fly btw to get to SXM. But i really do think 2500USD is way too high- hence why i'm looking at using all miles (same award miles to go to EWR or SXM...)

Would it work better if i called UA to see if i could book the award ticket and ask them for a long layover (of 1-2wks?!)

cheers!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Why does using miles not give you enough time in NYC? That's a standard round trip with a stopover on the return.

joe
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Why does using miles not give you enough time in NYC? That's a standard round trip with a stopover on the return.

joe

When i try to book online, the max time they give me in NYC is 1 day....i need 2 weeks...If i call would UA have more flexibility?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jacklee
When i try to book online, the max time they give me in NYC is 1 day....i need 2 weeks...If i call would UA have more flexibility?
Yes, on intercontinental awards, you get a stopover in addition to your destination. COdbaUA.com does a poor job at doing multicity awards.

You will need to call book anything but the most simple itinerary.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Yes, on intercontinental awards, you get a stopover in addition to your destination. COdbaUA.com does a poor job at doing multicity awards
Also - double check with the inventory first. If you can book each individual flight one by one on the website, it means that award seats are available.

It is easier to tell UA what exactly you need than asking them to search around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.