Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

28:39 minutes to assign a seat-SHARES strikes again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28:39 minutes to assign a seat-SHARES strikes again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is a post I can certainly agree with.
Me too!

Hewlett Packard is incapable of managing the SHARES system to any degree worthy of this new company. I don't understand why they don't rip up the contract and start over somewhere else.

It's my guess they could be further along with a new system by the time they got it up and running than sticking with SHARES/HP and try to bandage it together over time to do what they want it to.

Unfortunately, both choices have time and continued pain involved.

Everyone who voted to bring SHARES to the new company, I want to see you in the Board Room at 3:00 PM. Bring your ID Badges with you.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:51 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by star_world
Sorry to interrupt the rant but it's perfectly clear that the new airline is vastly bigger than either of its pre-merger predecessors. My comment, which you quoted but clearly misunderstood was that the pre-merger UA was marginally bigger than pre-merger CO.
I've watched you for weeks pretending that the fact that CO was only marginally smaller than UA was an excuse for the problems we are now facing. I'm glad to hear you admit that logic is clearly not your strong point.

And back to today - Check-It isn't new. Not even close. Can we keep this discussion focused on accurate information?
It may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's certainly new to newUA, since we have only recently heard about this add-on system. And your point is?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Originally Posted by hobo13
The point is that SHARES as it is currently used by United is not getting the job done.

Maybe it worked for PMCO. Maybe it didn't. Doesn't matter. It isn't satisfactory now.
This is a post I can certainly agree with.
e pluribus unum
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1P
I've watched you for weeks pretending that the fact that CO was only marginally smaller than UA was an excuse for the problems we are now facing. I'm glad to hear you admit that logic is clearly not your strong point.
Personal attacks on your part aside - did you read my original post, or the subsequent explanation that was evidently required to help another poster understand? It would appear not. Please try again if you intend to comment on what my strong points are, or are not

Here's a fact for you (with logic included and no pretending whatsoever): pre-merger CO was slightly smaller than pre-merger UA. Post-merger UA is bigger than either one of them. Quite a bit bigger in fact, nearly double the size of either original airline. I think you'll find I've been quite consistent on that point.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
You're confused (at best) if you think you've seen posts from me defending SHARES. I strongly suspect that you're so angry about "something" that you haven't stopped to realise that nobody is actually disagreeing with the fundamental point.

Maybe now that you understand that point we can move forward on a more constructive basis
Well, now I am indeed confused. It seems that we are in agreement that things are a mess. That's the most important point. Glad we agree.

But even in this thread, I thought you were saying that SHARES is fine, it's poor agent training? But now you deny that you've ever defended SHARES. Does that mean that you think that SHARES is to blame?

Perhaps you could define your position clearly, once and for all. I am sincerely interested in understanding your perspective. It is wrong for me (and others) to lump all CO apologists into the same category, and I am sincerely interested in understanding your views.
See my comment above: "Blaming PMUA agents is just offensive"

Most of around here know that you guys are doing your best and that are severe technical limitations to the tools you are being offered.
Assuming that all agents, PMUA or PMCO are as willing to learn and, frankly, as intelligent as FlyingNone appears to be is extremely naive.

The portion of agents who have not reached even a base level of productivity or who don't have a willingness to learn is not insignificant. This is true across all major airlines but it is acutely visible here because there is an entirely new system that vast numbers have been required to learn.
There is nothing insulting or offensive about stating that - aren't you familiar with the age-old FT motto about hanging up and calling back if you get an agent who doesn't know what they're talking about? That wasn't invented on the PMCO board.
The point is that SHARES as it is currently used by United is not getting the job done.

Maybe it worked for PMCO. Maybe it didn't. Doesn't matter. It isn't satisfactory now.
Originally Posted by 1P

It may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's certainly new to newUA, since we have only recently heard about this add-on system. And your point is?
Personal attacks on your part aside - did you read my original post, or the subsequent explanation that was evidently required to help another poster understand? It would appear not. Please try again if you intend to comment on what my strong points are, or are not

Here's a fact for you (with logic included and no pretending whatsoever): pre-merger CO was slightly smaller than pre-merger UA. Post-merger UA is bigger than either one of them. Quite a bit bigger in fact, nearly double the size of either original airline. I think you'll find I've been quite consistent on that point.
Please take this with all due respect: Having read through your comments, I have to confess that I'm as confused today as hobo13 was several days ago in asking you to explain your perspective. Do I have this right:

1. You're acknowledging that SHARES is a very flawed system.
2. You nevertheless feel that it is the system we're stuck with, so complaining about it won't do much good.
3. More to the point, you feel that the biggest problem with it is the very inadequate training of UA personnel to handle it.
4. You also feel, however, that a significant part of the problem with implementing SHARES is that those personnel lack the capacity and/or willingness to do so.
5. While you acknowledge that the airline is much larger in the wake of the merger, you don't see the problems with SHARES as being fundamentally a product of it being unsuited for greatly expanded and much more complicated reservation needs. Rather, more training (as per #3) and firing personnel who cannot or will not work with the system (as per #4) should make it adequately functional, even if not as good in some respects as the pre-merger UA system or as functional as it was when dealing with pre-merger CO's less complicated needs.

Do I have that right? If so, I think you differ with some of us who see the problems with SHARES (and indeed, with today's UA more generally) as extending far beyond inadequate and inadequately trained personnel. (And I might add that while there may always be problematic personnel in any large organization, many who have had trouble working with SHARES are to be admired for doing their best despite an inadequate system and inadequate training.) If not, please - again, with all due respect - clarify what you think is wrong with SHARES and UA today and what needs to be done to fix it.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Please take this with all due respect: Having read through your comments, I have to confess that I'm as confused today as hobo13 was several days ago in asking you to explain your perspective. Do I have this right:

1. You're acknowledging that SHARES is a very flawed system.
Correct.

2. You nevertheless feel that it is the system we're stuck with, so complaining about it won't do much good.
Correct.

3. More to the point, you feel that the biggest problem with it is the very inadequate training of UA personnel to handle it.
Not necessarily the biggest, but certainly one of them. It is a major factor and is the single biggest change that has occurred. From a systems point of view the PSS is just running as a bigger version of CO - flights are still flights at the end of the day.

4. You also feel, however, that a significant part of the problem with implementing SHARES is that those personnel lack the capacity and/or willingness to do so.
Based on personal experience, yes. But it's not an absolute - this definitely is not true across the board, but from my experience is true for a significant portion of the workgroup.

5. While you acknowledge that the airline is much larger in the wake of the merger, you don't see the problems with SHARES as being fundamentally a product of it being unsuited for greatly expanded and much more complicated reservation needs. Rather, more training (as per #3) and firing personnel who cannot or will not work with the system (as per #4) should make it adequately functional, even if not as good in some respects as the pre-merger UA system or as functional as it was when dealing with pre-merger CO's less complicated needs.
Roughly as functional as it was under CO, yes. I don't buy channa's argument that more hubs = more options for re-routing = vastly longer rebooking times. That may have been the case years ago but I don't believe the difference is very significant.

Do I have that right? If so, I think you differ with some of us who see the problems with SHARES (and indeed, with today's UA more generally) as extending far beyond inadequate and inadequately trained personnel. (And I might add that while there may always be problematic personnel in any large organization, many who have had trouble working with SHARES are to be admired for doing their best despite an inadequate system and inadequate training.) If not, please - again, with all due respect - clarify what you think is wrong with SHARES and UA today and what needs to be done to fix it.
Hope the above helps. And thanks for the constructive post - I have no agenda here, unless you count an abhorrence for hyperbole to be an agenda I'm a passenger just like (almost) everyone else here and I want this to work. I think we have a much better chance of that if more people here can voice their opinions in a thoughtful way as you've done above, without just spewing vitriol in every post.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I might beg to differ on whether or which other posters have been hyperbolic or vitriolic. But beyond that, thanks very much for your constructive reply and clarifications!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Roughly as functional as it was under CO, yes. I don't buy channa's argument that more hubs = more options for re-routing = vastly longer rebooking times. That may have been the case years ago but I don't believe the difference is very significant.
That was but only one example of how the larger route network translates to a different set of circumstances for the system to handle.

In my recent 36-minute schedule change call where my remedy was to connect via ORD vs. IAH, in the CO world, and in this market, I would have been stuck with the IAH connection, so either accepted the undesirable schedule change, or refunded the ticket. Both of these are time optimized procedures in SHARES. Refund requests don't take nearly as long as the change I made.

On the mileage side, CO was not as geared towards certificate-based upgrades (they didn't have them until they partnered with UA). And even then, CO's customer base, I would imagine, didn't fly as much since CO didn't have the decades of history of a 100,000-mile tier like UA did. So while UA had a strong customer base of 100K flyers who earned lots of these certificates (10 minimum under the new earning scheme), when CO flipped the switch, CO's 75K tier earned only two if they didn't exceed the tier by 33%.

So the pains associated with how the system handles upgrades, certificates, waitlists not clearing, mishandled rollovers to the airport list, and so on, may have been present in the CO world, but there may not have been nearly as many data points to indicate the frequency of this as a problem. After all, while I have experienced some of the waitlist frustrations that others have, I have also had some regionals clear properly. With fewer instruments, I would have had fewer problems.

At the airport, UA agents are used to being able to reaccommodate a planeload of pax in minutes. CO not so much. So culturally, you have the cultures of help vs. hide. Now SHARES had tied the hands of the UA agents, and made rebooking daunting. No amount of training is going to expedite some of these ridiculous, lengthy commands. That's created a situation where UA customers are no longer satisfied with the service level.

I'm sure CO agents are feeling the frustration as well -- when UA customers want to offload rather than misconnect, this larger route network is a new world to them.

And so on. The environment between the two airlines is radically different. Whether it's program, network, customer service, etc. And the system simply isn't cutting it because it makes it too difficult to execute on procedures that happen frequently.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Here's a fact for you (with logic included and no pretending whatsoever): pre-merger CO was slightly smaller than pre-merger UA.
I have seen you post this in a couple of places. Do you have some numbers you can share? I guess to get Full Year data, we'd have to go back to CY 2009.

I'd like to see what "slightly smaller" means. I remember CO Shareholders getting a 5% premium in new company shares, but that has less to do about business size, rather all about getting Shareholder votes to approve the merger. Again from memory, I think UA was #3 in size and CO #4 or #5.

Do you have the pre-merger numbers handy for;

Revenue
# of Employees
Revenue Passenger Miles
# of Airplanes
Market Cap

Then to keep this on topic, is there any other airline that currently uses SHARES who is the size of just the pre-merger UA?

Then to add the CO traffic/volume on top of that, all I can say is- WOW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.