Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waited in line for 7 hours to get rebooked after cancellation. Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waited in line for 7 hours to get rebooked after cancellation. Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

What happened to the OP?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
What happened to the OP?
Hopefully she's boarding today's flight 877 as we speak.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Antipode
The whole SHARES thing is overdone on this forum IMO and there are plenty of things that are not the fault of SHARES that people blame on SHARES, but I think rebookings taking a lot longer than they should is something I believe is strongly correlated to the switchover to the new system.

Since the PMCO agents are also taking a long time to do rebooks, I don't think it's a conversion or learning issue as much as it is an issue with the system.

The entries required are very prone to error. Those of us who use command line systems know how easy it is to get a command slightly wrong or the syntax or ordering incorrect.

One agent provides a very good post mid-way down this thread with examples of the level of effort required to resync a ticket: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1343504.html

They even go on to say that they cannot resync more than 2 segments of a ticket or change to an alternate airport without a phone call.

This was the example of a 2:2 exchange:

T-$EIR/S2/S3‡3363PWMIAD07MAY/991ORDIAD07MAY
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Since the PMCO agents are also taking a long time to do rebooks, I don't think it's a conversion or learning issue as much as it is an issue with the system.

[...]
Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. It's not just a conversion/familiarity issue, it's becoming more apparent that it's just not as efficient and things take longer regardless of whether they know how to do it or not. But it certainly is exacerbated by PMUA agents having to learn a new system, and probably even PMCO agents having to deal with new policies or changes to the system that weren't necessarily there in the PMCO SHARES.

But not EVERYTHING is because of SHARES, which is what some people on this forum seem to insist.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I feel sorry for the OP. If you are not a frequent UA flyer you will stand waiting in the line to be helped. It is easy for us to say go to the Club, call United etc. But if you are transiting through a foreign country, you are at the mercy of the airline.

I dont think the OP exaggerates about the 7 hr wait. Very possible in today's UA world.

I will suggest that the OP write a letter to UA explaining the circumstances and depending on the response do the following - Avoid UA on any future trips and dissuade friends and family for remotely considering UA. That is the only power left in his/her arsenal.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I feel sorry for the OP. If you are not a frequent UA flyer you will stand waiting in the line to be helped. It is easy for us to say go to the Club, call United etc. But if you are transiting through a foreign country, you are at the mercy of the airline.

I dont think the OP exaggerates about the 7 hr wait. Very possible in today's UA world.

I will suggest that the OP write a letter to UA explaining the circumstances and depending on the response do the following - Avoid UA on any future trips and dissuade friends and family for remotely considering UA. That is the only power left in his/her arsenal.
Someone posted on UA's Facebook page about having to wait over 2 hours to drop a bag at EWR BF checkin.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Someone posted on UA's Facebook page about having to wait over 2 hours to drop a bag at EWR BF checkin.
Ouch!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
-----

Last edited by zombietooth; May 9, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was at LAX UA counter to rebook a flight that I missed about a month ago. There were 3 agents at the counter, two were working on a issue for one passenger, another agent was helping a family rebook tickets plus hotel overnight. No line, just me waiting. It took almost 1 hour for me to be served. It was another 30-40 minutes to rebook me to the next available flight. Seems to me new system and perhaps new procedures slow down everything. I considered myself lucky to get on the last flight out of LAX that night but can't stop thinking why it took so long... I did call, the 1K line can't find any availabilities.

I can relate OP waited for 7 hours but still shocking there is no plan to react for a international flight cancelation.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hobo13
For every one person saying that it's not a SHARES problem, there are 10 who says it is.
No, there are three people that say everything is a SHARES problem ten or more times a thread.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
You are essentially calling fastair and other GAs who participate here, liars.
Where did I infer anything remotely similar to that.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
No, there are three people that say everything is a SHARES problem ten or more times a thread.
Much like the Gang of 11 or whatever they're called who like to distract from anything that puts the airline in a negative light.

If SHARES is not responsible for lengthy rebooking handling times, it would be useful to hear what your theory is.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:03 pm
inY

If SHARES is not responsible for lengthy rebooking handling times, it would be useful to hear what your theory is.
Insufficient staffing at customer service desks. Time to learn a new system, no matter whether better or worse. Insufficient authority delegated to frontline agents. Air France in CDG took an hour with one pax in front of me. Do they use SHARES?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pigx5
I assume that OP didn't have a US SIM card/phone
and he didn't want to pay extra for roaming. In addition,
he/she didn't want to leave the line to make
a phone call and lost his/her position.
There are phone banks and self-service kiosks right next to the customer service line at LAX.

Originally Posted by hobo13
You say that so confidently -- have you been to the T6 'CO' club? I was told that 'they don't do rebookings. They send send to CS.'

Welcome to COdbaUA.
Actually, since it was a CO club, it is COdbaUA.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by inY
Insufficient staffing at customer service desks. Time to learn a new system, no matter whether better or worse. Insufficient authority delegated to frontline agents. Air France in CDG took an hour with one pax in front of me. Do they use SHARES?
I would also add record load factors and disrupted operations elsewhere in the system. It is extremely difficult to reaccomodate when there's limited or no inventory available.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
I would also add record load factors and disrupted operations elsewhere in the system. It is extremely difficult to reaccomodate when there's limited or no inventory available.
Have you ever been in a rebook situation with CO/NewUA?

They're not spending half an hour hunting for flights. That's the easy part. It's the ticket reissue in SHARES that takes them forever.

Even the PMCO agent who helped me with my VDB rebook -- she spent about a minute confirming the flights, and another 20+ reissuing the ticket and printing a VDB voucher.

That's not to say there aren't situations where finding protection is a challenge. But the ticket reissues with the expanded network seems to be challenging the system due to the difficult-to-use interface.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.