Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waited in line for 7 hours to get rebooked after cancellation. Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waited in line for 7 hours to get rebooked after cancellation. Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Thank GD we have not yet reached the point where every check in requires the CS Help Desk.
True, but the impact of requiring the Helpdesk ripples through other, easier transactions.

My other half had to do an agent checkin (visa check, not kioskable). There was nobody in front of her in line. 4 agents helping were helping 4 people, and she still waited 20 minutes.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by channa
True, but the impact of requiring the Helpdesk ripples through other, easier transactions.

My other half had to do an agent checkin (visa check, not kioskable). There was nobody in front of her in line. 4 agents helping were helping 4 people, and she still waited 20 minutes.
What status does he/she have? If dirt, 20 min is nice. As a 1K, unacceptable (duh).

I was simply disupting Often1 conclusion that having 7hr wait times at the CS desk compels every check in to take 8 hours. Presumably his statement was based on assuming OP couldve utilized the regular check-in, which is incorrect as he was airside and Checkin agents are always less helpful.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Often1
OP is not due any compensation and DOT doesn't get involved in line length (or phone hold) issues.
From what I gather nobody is due compensation in your eyes.

I can't dispute the 7 hours on the facts, but it does seem odd because if that were true, thousands of pax on flights which weren't cancelled/delayed would have missed their check-in because it's rare for people to arrive 8 hours prior to flight.
Where do you read OP was at checkin?

Furthermore, while it's frustrating, OP's new flight may well have been the next available service, so UA chose to help those where a better alternative was available. Seems harsh, but if you're going to be delayed by 24 hours no matter what, if I were UA, I'd focus on pax who can be rerouted w. only a 2-hour delay.
OP should have been routed to another carrier rather than forced to wait 24 hours. And i love your arbitrary 2 hour delay position.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What status does he/she have? If dirt, 20 min is nice. As a 1K, unacceptable (duh).
1K at the 1K checkin at SFO.

The point is that there was zero movement across four (4) agents for 20 minutes. That means each of the four (4) agent transactions was taking 20+ minutes each

Lengthy transactions like this are not uncommon with SHARES.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:10 am

I would have immediately gone to the hotel of my choosing, got a room under my credit card, dealt with rebooking from a speakerphone, worried about hotel reimbursement via customer service after the trip.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I question anyone's sanity for taking a path of most resistance and not using what many would say is common sense. If it did in fact take 7 hours I'm sure there are many aspects of your life that aren't in order either. There were numerous other things that you could and should have thought of. If the line was 7 hours long there must have been 500 plus people in it. If you are counting time since you landed till you got a resolution then perhaps 3-4 hours from when you landed till you got in line.

I don't know, but I share all others view that common sense should have told you to act differently and be more assertive. Sorry.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
-----

Last edited by zombietooth; May 9, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just a piece of advice for next time, buy yourself access to a UA club ($35-$50) and you'll get rebooked without waiting on line.
You say that so confidently -- have you been to the T6 'CO' club? I was told that 'they don't do rebookings. They send send to CS.'

Welcome to COdbaUA.

Originally Posted by schley
If the line was 7 hours long there must have been 500 plus people in it.
Actually..... no. I've had three experiences this year that took me and my family 1+ hour to get rebooked -- that was just our time with the agent, while she either fiddled with SHARES or waited on hold for her support desk.

So, let's see, if one group takes 1 hour.... and there are 2 agents working the counter. Let's see, with 14 parties ahead of you, my nifty calculator says that 7 hours is not unreasonable!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 24, 2012 at 9:16 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
OP - sorry for the wait in line, welcome to FT and I hope you post again someday. We are not all negative and condeming and hate UA!! Although I am not sure why the flight was cancelled, I would send a letter regardless. Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I had a similar 1 yard/hour experience after a cancelled flight out of Geneva due to operations. It takes them forever with the new system. It is frustrating to watch alternative flight options go by as they as struggle to rebook the passengers ahead of you.

In my case, they didn't even send me a cancellation email (even though the flight to GVA was cancelled, so they presumably knew what was coming long in advance) or try to rebook me.

I emailed 1kvoice 9 days ago about this and did not (yet) get a response.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Now imagine what happens to this freakin' airline when an entire hub, nevermind region cancel all arrivals & departures for a day or two...

It will be a catastrophe of historical proportions.
IAH was closed for 2 days with last hurricane, can't remember name but was after Katrina, maybe IKE? At any rate, we lived thru it.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
The first lesson I learned when I started travelling was to always carry those prepaid phone cards with me, and now in addition to that, I put the customer service number of the airline I'm flying on my cell phone and magicJack contacts lists
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
Actually..... no. I've had three experiences this year that took me and my family 1+ hour to get rebooked -- that was just our time with the agent, while she either fiddled with SHARES or waited on hold for her support desk.

So, let's see, if one group takes 1 hour.... and there are 2 agents working the counter. Let's see, with 14 parties ahead of you, my nifty calculator says that 7 hours is not unreasonable!
One hour for a rebook is not entirely uncommon. We had another poster here a few weeks ago mention using 45 minutes of agent time to rebook a flight. I think he switched to an alternate airport which complicated the matter for SHARES. With PMUA's system, it would have been a 1-minute job.

Originally Posted by skyemema
IAH was closed for 2 days with last hurricane, can't remember name but was after Katrina, maybe IKE? At any rate, we lived thru it.

That was under CO. And IIRC, phone lines were jammed, and non-status flyers could not get through.

The operation was a lot less complex under CO. Remember that rebooking along the same route is easier than changing connecting point or number of cities with the SHARES interface. In the more complex, combined UA-CO route network, not everything revolves around Houston, and there are many more ways to make a trip work. You see a lot more reroutes than changes now than ever before.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Even though it was a UA ticket, sounds like it was a code-share flight. Doesn't the operating carrier have an obligation here?

EDITED: I take it back. The OP miswrote. Flight 8165 is the YVR-LAX flight, not the LAX-PVG flight. I saw the flight number and assumed it was an Air China code-share, or China Air, or whatever the *A China airline is!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Usually I hate the way the word "kettle" is used around here and I always when I read it. But after reading that a person would wait 7 hours in a line in the middle of the day when so many other options were available (phone, other customer service centers, Club, ticket counter).. I think this could be the first time I'm tempted to apply it.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.