Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best chances for an UG - what flight to EU should I choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best chances for an UG - what flight to EU should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Hey there,
Flying out for a conference in Vienna, Austria this upcoming October.
I still have 4 SWU and want to utilize them.
There are lots of options, currently, non have R class open, which is nothing to write home about
To try and maximize my UG chances, would any one here by kind enough to share his/her experience in regards to what TATL flight to choose? ORD-FRA on very early flight (2:39PM)? IAH - LHR (two options there)?
My origin is IAH. I don't mind 2 connections (one in the US and the other in EU), and my search is for departure on Tuesday returning on Sunday.
It'll be on a W fare.

Thank you,
R

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm Reason: no bumping zone
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rebech34
Hey there,
Flying out for a conference in Vienna, Austria this upcoming October.
I still have 4 SWU and want to utilize them.
There are lots of options, currently, non have R class open, which is nothing to write home about
To try and maximize my UG chances, would any one here by kind enough to share his/her experience in regards to what TATL flight to choose? ORD-FRA on very early flight (2:39PM)? IAH - LHR (two options there)?
My origin is IAH. I don't mind 2 connections (one in the US and the other in EU), and my search is for departure on Tuesday returning on Sunday.
It'll be on a W fare.

Thank you,
R
ORD-FRA is usually not difficult for 1ks - I have done it several times. I do not know about IAH-LHR. Tuesday should be quite easy, Sunday is far more difficult.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
If you're willing to connect twice going through ORD, the Tuesday DEN-FRA should be pretty easy to UG - of course, it would be a standby UG, but I've never missed an UG on that route (the return is a whole different story).

I think that the early ORD-FRA is actually harder to UG than the later one, but either one shouldn't be too bad on a Tuesday.

Personally, I would do IAH-FRA-VIE on UA and take my chances on that route. Again, you aren't flying on a typically busy day so your chances should be decent.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Any word on BRU - EWR 777 and upgrade chances on that?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
I would say EWR-BRU and IAD-BRU are usually good for upgrades. I don't know what dates you're thinking, but for example tuesday 10/16 IAD-BRU has R8.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K
I've found BRU and AMS are often available - means a connection in Europe, but you'll probably have that and with Austrian as a partner, should be easy to connect to VIE!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Not Exactly

Originally Posted by revigik
I would say EWR-BRU and IAD-BRU are usually good for upgrades. I don't know what dates you're thinking, but for example tuesday 10/16 IAD-BRU has R8.
I flew IAD-BRU to avoid IAD-CDG (almost impossible) in June on a Saturday. I had no chance for upgrade as 1K on H fare.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:33 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I am flying to London in October. Outbound via EWR on a Wednesday and returning via ORD on a Monday. Both upgrades have already cleared. As a matter of fact, the EWR-LHR is still R9. If you send me a PM with specific dates I'd be happy to check R availability for you.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I'm returning from a conference in MSY in October, and my upgrade IAH-LHR cleared immediately upon booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.