Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need some help planning a RTW trip with United and Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some help planning a RTW trip with United and Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If any segment is F then you get charged F for the trip.

Fees are based on your status when the change request is made.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I've got booked the following 4 1-ways:

HNL-NRT (UA F saver)
NRT-DOH-DXB (Qatar J, no F on these planes).
DXB-FRA-IAD-JAX (1st segment LH J, F not available, the rest UA F)
JAX-IAD-HNL (UA F standard).

The nice thing is that I may now have to tack on a business trip after JAX, so I'll fly JAX-DAY-IAD-HNL-OGG for that, and get my miles back on the JAX-IAD-HNL itinerary. But I'm going to hold off on getting the miles refunded, just to make sure the trip solidifies.

Trying to do a RTW as one ticket had too many restrictions for me.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sbm12
You're only allowed 6 destinations along the route on a UA-issued RTW award. And you can only have 16 flight coupons (including surface segments). Plus you must continuously travel in the same direction between stops; no backtracking, even within a region.

MRU and ADD are out of the way geographically so you'll likely have to drop those. And you need to pick a couple of those places to skip since you have too many stops.

F awards should run 350K.
I recently read that AR is a member of SkyTeam. If I eliminated South America from my *A RTW, could I re-add MRU and ADD (and maybe even SEZ) to the itinerary? Or, would some type of NA-Africa open jaw be best?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi everyone,

What is the minimum amount of miles needed for the following itinerary, and is it even bookable?

NYC-Iguazu-LOS-TAS-NYC?

Clearly, stops will have to be made, which is no problem (no choice), but which airlines would have the most decent IFE (range of movies) in Y? Also, can I book part of this itinerary in Y, and part in J?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anything is bookable; it is just a matter of how much you're willing to spend and finding inventory.

Three stops means at least a couple awards or buying a segment on your own to connect two points. And getting stops in Igaucu and Lagos on the same award likely isn't going to happen. Price it as a bunch of one ways for the worst case scenario of points required. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...ardTravel.aspx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Does RTW award book into the XIO fare classes on partners ?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:53 pm

*A RTW Questions

I've got 200k UA miles and am currently Global Services. Have some pretty broad *A RTW questions. Dug through the rules lists, but had some questions about general effectiveness, etc.

1. Is it possible to use Global Premier upgrades for a *A RTW trip?
2. Being Global Services, I'm accustomed to buying economy and getting free upgrades. Is there any chance of this occurring on non UA lines?
3. Are there any cities that are noted as being good hubs to pass through to bypass RTW rules?
4. In the same vein, are there any cities to avoid passing through?
5. Are there any considerations for maximizing *A RTW effectiveness (assuming miles traveled, stopovers, personal happiness and time are maximized)?

Really appreciate any help given.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stupandaus
I've got 200k UA miles and am currently Global Services. Have some pretty broad *A RTW questions. Dug through the rules lists, but had some questions about general effectiveness, etc.

1. Is it possible to use Global Premier upgrades for a *A RTW trip?
2. Being Global Services, I'm accustomed to buying economy and getting free upgrades. Is there any chance of this occurring on non UA lines?
3. Are there any cities that are noted as being good hubs to pass through to bypass RTW rules?
4. In the same vein, are there any cities to avoid passing through?
5. Are there any considerations for maximizing *A RTW effectiveness (assuming miles traveled, stopovers, personal happiness and time are maximized)?

Really appreciate any help given.
Welcome to FT!
I'm having trouble understanding the premise of some of your questions.
Are you looking for an award RTW or a revenue ticket?
If the former, 200K UA miles won't go very far.
1. Yes, if you book a UA flight in W or higher for Y>C or D or higher for C/J>F, or an LH flight (GPU can only be used on day of departure subject to availability);
2. No;
3. Don't understand your question "bypass RTW rules"?
4. Again don't understand your question;
5. Again, very vague .. so many different considerations that don't really relate.
Also, I would suggest doing a search in the UA forum using "RTW". You will find multiple threads there, like this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-miles.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Feb 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm Reason: added thread link
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Welcome to FT!
I'm having trouble understanding the premise of some of your questions.
Are you looking for an award RTW or a revenue ticket?
If the former, 200K UA miles won't go very far.
1. Yes, if you book a UA flight in W or higher for Y>C or D or higher for C/J>F, or an LH flight (GPU can only be used on day of departure subject to availability);
2. No;
3. Don't understand your question "bypass RTW rules"?
4. Again don't understand your question;
5. Again, very vague .. so many different considerations that don't really relate.
Also, I would suggest doing a search in the UA forum using "RTW". You will find multiple threads there, like this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-miles.html
Seems like I should save for 300k for the business RTW then. Thanks for your help!

Regarding the RTW rules, I just meant all the various extra charges that seem to be added at certain cities (ex. Singapore seems to have a lot).

Thanks again!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
And keep in mind that any award RTW will not be a *A RTW, per se, in the sense of xRWSTARx as usually discussed here. Any award booking will be regulated by the rules of the FFP where the points are coming from (in your case, UA) and you will no doubt get more knowledgeable advice and more creative suggestions in the specific FT forum of your particular programme.

cheers,

Henry
Old May 23, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
United Around the world tickets?

what are the limits on cities and distance and connections on around the world tickets? Can you change the dates free? can you change routing? looking to book 2 person around for honeymoon when i get married.

i mean the mileage plus around the world tickets, is that same as star alliance?

Last edited by UA1KPHL; May 23, 2013 at 3:37 am Reason: change/
Old May 23, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
If you're talking about the Star Alliance round-the-world fares, there are four different products with complex rules, available on the Star Alliance web site.

There used to be various other round-the-world products offered by United in partnership with a hodge-podge other airlines. This is an old thread summarizing some of them; I don't know how many of these still exist.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
what are the limits on cities and distance and connections on around the world tickets? Can you change the dates free? can you change routing? looking to book 2 person around for honeymoon when i get married.

i mean the mileage plus around the world tickets, is that same as star alliance?
The UA award RTW is different with revenue RTW in the following aspects:
  • UA award RTW is allowed to have at most 6 stopovers while revenue RTW can have up to 15. Both can have up to 16 segments including surface sector/open jaw (so SFO-LHR,CDG-SIN-SFO will count as 4 segments rather than 3).
  • UA award RTW has no mileage restriction while revenue RTW has mileage restriction on total distance travelled. In both cases, you need to satisfy basic RTW guideline (the stopover places must always go eastbound or westbound, you need to take both TATL and TPAC flights exactly once).

Both UA award and revenue RTW tickets are flexible, even after travel starts (better than AA explorer award for this). You can change as many times as you want. Date change should be free, but routing/carrier change may result in a change fee (waived for award RTW if you are PLT/1K/GS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.