Search

New business class...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, SQ PPS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Wink New business class...

Hey guys!

A friend of mine is going to fly in the new C-class with opposing seats. Has anyone tried this? What's it like to fly backwards?

More importantly, isn't it odd having to face your fellow passengers for hours on end? How's the privacy on board? Seems somewhat unimaginable to me… :roll eyes:
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: QR platinum
The new C seat on UA is really comfortable, and I love flying backward for sleeping (the head is slightly higher than the feet as the airplane flies at a slight inclination upward). You can find multiple reviews, but the bottom line is that the seat is way better than the current LH seat in C, to give you a familiar comparison given your Sen status.

Regarding privacy, some seats can feel a bit crowded (downstairs in the 747 or 777), but otherwise it is not too bad.

Depending on the equipment, I would recommend upper deck window on the 747 (storage bins on the side and extra room to spread out elbows/legs, or a central seat on the 763 (guaranteed aisle access). Avoid the middle seats in the 777/747 if possible.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Except for take off and landing you have no feeling of "flying backwards". You are not facing the persons right ahead/behind of you, there is a divider blocking the view. You do see the face of the person across the aisle. I always ask for the "backward" facing seat.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Flying backwards=zero issues... Don't even realize you are doing it until you come into land

I've only flown QF and UA in bus. and I found UA quite (suprizingly!) comparable to QF.. IFE was good, food was good and lie flat was great!

Goes to show UA CAN do things properly.. they just choose not to for the cattle like me who have to fly (most of the time) in Y... (food, grog, IFE..)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
I enjoy the view out the window (non sunny side), which is much better facing forwards. The new configuration has cut such seats in half. At night, doesn't matter so much.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
The UA C-class opposing seats have been in the market for years. Is there a new design of C-class seat that recently came out the market? Did I miss anything?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
The UA C-class opposing seats have been in the market for years. Is there a new design of C-class seat that recently came out the market? Did I miss anything?
No, you aren't missing anything - same lie-flat seats that United introduced in 2007 - nearly FIVE years ago! I think the OP means they are new to him - not to seasoned flyers on UA.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:39 am

Yet another new thread for this age old question. Search is your friend. You may also want to ask on the British Airways forum as they also have rear facing seats. I actually prefer rear facing, it's a more natural sleeping position due to the angle of attack of an airplane in cruise.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
OP is relatively new to FT ("search" unknown to him), and probably does not know that UA "new"-C has been around for many years.

It's probably time this thread was merged into one of many, many, many other threads in which this topic is discussed.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I actually like it. When at cruising altitude the pitch-up that the AC travels at is counteracted. When facing forward you get the the feeling you head is above you feet because it is... When facing the back you can lie absolutely flat by counteracting the pitch.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA's rear-facing seat is great. Good for sleeping and I always go out of my way to sit backwards.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HansHirschi
...isn't it odd having to face your fellow passengers for hours on end? ...
Due to the video screen your view of the passagner behind you is blocked. At some seat locations, folks have commented about the view into the economy section or those a row back & across the aisle -- both of which are not really in your normal line of slight.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
i prefer the backwards seat...i think they actually call it a "premium" seat as well...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR G
I've never flown in one facing forward, so I can't tell you which is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.