Wiki Posts
Search

Possibility of UA price match?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Possibility of UA price match?

Hello all!

I am a long time lurker and before asking my question just want to say thank you! The tricks/tools/advice from this form have helped me quite a bit in my travels

I am looking to pick up a one way ticket from CID to the LA area (LAX, SNA, ONT) on UA but current price for a one way ticket is over 100 less on AA. Is there a possibility of UA matching or should I snag the AA ticket before it goes up in price? I am guessing the answer is pick up the AA ticket fast, but any advice or thoughts are welcomed.

I am traveling Sunday 8/12

Thank you
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Cgagne
since you have not posted what your status is with ua, im gonna assume your a blue card member....i doubt anyone in bangalore or any us location for that matter will "priceline" you to a ual fare, good luck if can snag it and post when came of it ok....
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It doesn't matter what your status is..UA does not match prices of other carriers.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by Cgagc123
Hello all!

I am a long time lurker and before asking my question just want to say thank you! The tricks/tools/advice from this form have helped me quite a bit in my travels

I am looking to pick up a one way ticket from CID to the LA area (LAX, SNA, ONT) on UA but current price for a one way ticket is over 100 less on AA. Is there a possibility of UA matching or should I snag the AA ticket before it goes up in price? I am guessing the answer is pick up the AA ticket fast, but any advice or thoughts are welcomed.

I am traveling Sunday 8/12

Thank you
you'll get it if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
you'll get it if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa
That's probably good advice. UA has been consistently higher in price than competitors in just about every market I'm looking to buy tickets for personal travel over the next two months.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:12 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It's a somewhat interesting question actually --

Airlines actually do match each others' fares in some cases, but what they are matching is the published fare buckets.

However, the number of seats in each bucket is certainly *not* matched, and what people perceive to be "why are UA's fares so high" is often that they are late to the game and have only the expensive tickets to choose from.

These days, it seems that the fare buckets themselves are higher than usual / the competition.

Either way, they have already optimized their yield for the flights through the fare bucket / # seats for sale combination, and are not going to change it for you.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It doesn't matter what your status is..UA does not match prices of other carriers.
Au contraire, mon ami

About 3 months ago, I scored a very nice Z fare as a result of United matching AA on a 3-day sale. Doesn't happen often, I give you that!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
It's a somewhat interesting question actually --

Airlines actually do match each others' fares in some cases, but what they are matching is the published fare buckets.

However, the number of seats in each bucket is certainly *not* matched, and what people perceive to be "why are UA's fares so high" is often that they are late to the game and have only the expensive tickets to choose from.

These days, it seems that the fare buckets themselves are higher than usual / the competition.

Either way, they have already optimized their yield for the flights through the fare bucket / # seats for sale combination, and are not going to change it for you.
I agree that fare buckets do seem higher than usual and that they're unlikely/not going to change them for a mere customer. However I have to take issue with the "late to the game" argument, United is more expensive than AA or DL from the NYC area well into October on a number of routes, so I think it's more about yield management than schmucks like me trying to book too late.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by StingWest
Au contraire, mon ami

About 3 months ago, I scored a very nice Z fare as a result of United matching AA on a 3-day sale. Doesn't happen often, I give you that!
No.. what I mean is, they don't match for people calling in to say another airline has a better fare and asking for a match. UA matches other airlines all the time but it's not something anyone can call and ask for.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No.. what I mean is, they don't match for people calling in to say another airline has a better fare and asking for a match. UA matches other airlines all the time but it's not something anyone can call and ask for.
Oh I get it - and you're right!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If you can't find the fare you want on-line, it doesn't hurt to try calling and see if a phone agent might see a different routing than you do, or for some reason a fare bucket availability that isn't showing on-line. As I just mentioned in another thread, this happened to me once on a TATL itin.

I needed the same itin as my wife's award ticket, and desired to play the upgrade lottery so I had minimum fare bucket requirements... and the buckets showing for the flights in question were the very highest (most expensive. The phone agent found qualifying fare buckets that were substantially less. ^
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by TA

I recently purchased a fully refundable D-fare on United that was cheaper than the (maybe) fully refundable M-fare. I could wave my hands in the air and say United is optimizing yield by doing something like this but then I'd have to light my pants on fire

Practically speaking the causes of the issues reported by United's customers on FT are likely starting to cause/escalate some issues for United's operations/sales functions, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.