Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Delta SkyMiles to UAL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Transferring Delta SkyMiles to UAL

I know this has been a thread in the past, but I'm looking for help on moving ~300K dormant SkyMiles into MileagePlus. I have no real way to utilize this quantity of miles, and I am planning some big mileage spends with MileagePlus, for which this would be a huge benefit.

Any and all options would be considered - I am Denver-based, HHonors member... Thanks gang!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by hokierock
I know this has been a thread in the past, but I'm looking for help on moving ~300K dormant SkyMiles into MileagePlus. I have no real way to utilize this quantity of miles, and I am planning some big mileage spends with MileagePlus, for which this would be a huge benefit.

Any and all options would be considered - I am Denver-based, HHonors member... Thanks gang!
Good luck . . . but even if you could convert, it is probably at a terrible conversion rate.

If it was anywhere near 1 for 1, every DL medallion would trade every sky peso they had for the greatly more valuable UA miles.

I have 160k DL miles to put my money where my mouth is. Would trade them straight up for UA miles in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
where do you want to go on UA that DL cant take you?

if you have status on DL you can use some of the miles for hotel or car rentals on your trip(s).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
where do you want to go on UA that DL cant take you?
It's not so much the desire to go somewhere on DL's route map but the inability to find award space without having to pay exorbitant rates.

It's so much easier to find award space on UA compared to DL. And the one way awards are so much more flexible than just round trips.

Billy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
It's so much easier to find award space on UA compared to DL. And the one way awards are so much more flexible than just round trips.
Which is why UA miles are more valuable, and you can't easily trade SkyPesos for them.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:45 pm
Suspended

It's not so much the desire to go somewhere on DL's route map but the inability to find award space without having to pay exorbitant rates.

Billy
after you would do any type of a transfer you wont be left with enough UA miles to go anywhere. Your best bet might be to cash out using ST at whatever you can get for it
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
believe Delta's program is the same as UA's program, miles can not be transferred out. Nicknamed -- blackhole programs.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i was doing some award booking research for my folks who still have a ton of miles on DL for a month long trip to Asia in Y (HKG + SIN) with rates like 140 miles per pax, and 2 stop routings. then i went to UA and found better routings for 65K per pax.

i have about 70K+ DL miles that i don't plan on using any time soon. i thought about going down to ATL to see some friends and realized i would burn nearly all of those miles on one RT with DL in Y whereas I could theoretically get 3x RT in Y with UA for a similar amount of UA miles.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Just to clarify, I am 1K on United and have ZERO status on DL.

It is not so much the choice of destinations between UA & DL; with my UA 1K, I have zero fees and complete ability to change/redeposit miles, etc as I see fit.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokierock
I know this has been a thread in the past, but I'm looking for help on moving ~300K dormant SkyMiles into MileagePlus....
You won't like the answer.

The only way is via www.points.com. Exchange rates is variable. Current rate is DL 2K to UA 1K with $50 fee. Your DL 300K will become UA 150K with fee of $7,500.

Some airlines, not DL and UA, allow transfer via hotel or credit card programs without fee. However, you usually end up with 5-20% of miles. For example, if you have AA 300K, you can transfer them to UA via Diners and Marriott at AA 50K to UA 10K. Your AA 300K will become UA 60K miles.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 15, 2012 at 4:36 am
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
... The only way is via www.points.com. ...
besides a terrible exchange rate, this method is not authorized by the airlines.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
besides a terrible exchange rate, this method is not authorized by the airlines.
The exchange rate isn't the problem IMO.... it's the fees that go along with the maneuver.

I can see 150K UA having significantly more benefit than 300K DL.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Where did you hear that www.points.com exchanges are not authorized by the airlines? That's news to me. Why would the airlines enable points.com to execute unathorized exchanges?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
There isn't going to be a good way of turning DL pts into UA pts, but I would say the best value you can get out of your 300k Skymiles is 3 J tickets to Europe. If your flexible it's not that hard to find some destinations to Europe with low award availability. For Asia you can try CZ's new LAX-CAN route and KE during non-blackout days. In general finding Asia awards on DL metal is not easy.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Billy

BINGO!!! I am in the same exact boat... was Diamond on DL a few years ago so I have 200k+ left over.... stopped flying because I relocated for work. I mess around with award tickets every now and then... they want something like 200,000 miles for IAH-MSP-NRT in biz or 150,000 miles to go to hawaii from IAH.

Im not a fool.... there is no way i'd waste the miles on that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.