Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
If you do the Back to Back using different airlines then this should be OK

Example

Fly CLE-LGA Sat AM UA
Fly LGA-CLE Sat PM DL
Fly CLE-LGA Mon AM DL to get to NYC to get my UA return
FLY LGA-CLE Mon PM UA

This is Back to Back ticketing but not legal if it was UA. Since it is different airlines
UA and AA won't be aware of this, only God knows. The reason I would do this is I get 2 full days in NYC, but no hotel bills. I did this one time many years ago on CO when they had the EWR weekend special of $79:00 RT. I thought when I to book the EWR-CLE RT to avoild the Sat night stay the reservation system would not take this buit it did.
Exactly. As long as it's two separate airlines, and you meet the terms of each separate ticket, there wont be a problem. Airlines don't communicate between each other on such ticketing, and legally can't.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA
Is this back-to-back ticketing?

Hi all,

I have a trip coming up late this year: BOS-HNL-OGG-PHL

I used points to get two business class tickets BOS-EWR-HNL, and now I need to buy cheap tickets to get back. United one-way tickets from Hawaii are pretty expensive, but...

...we also have a trip this year PHL-SFO-PHL.

So, now, if I buy an open jaw round trip: PHL-SFO-OGG-PHL, I can get that for cheap, and then all I need is a cheap one-way SFO-PHL.

My question is: is this legal? Or, rather, is this back-to-back ticketing? Note that I'm not doing this to get around minimum stay requirements (we'll meet all the minimum stay requirements easily).

I do have a backup plan: flying AS from Hawaii to west coast, because they have cheap one-way tickets.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
This used to be a bigger deal when Saturday night stays netted you much lower fares than trips within the work week. The "old" back to back was buy a round trip ticke that included a saturday night stay to go to a destination and then buy a second roundtrip ticket to return home the same week and then go back to the destination after a weekend. Two "leisure round trip tickets" were often much less than the single "business trip ticket." The tickets with Saturday night stays were commonly $3-500 for domestic US travel, and tickets without Saturday night stay were commonly $1200-$2000.

Nowadays, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether you stay over a Saturday night. Many of my domestic travel fares are now $3-600 regardless of whether I stay over a Saturday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.