Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy on ticketing a lap child?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by fragment54
At what age does a child stop qualifying as a "lap infant"?
Old May 31, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by qq511
You mean a week to get the ticket issued, and before it was issued you hadn't seen the lap child under your reservation? We called again and finally we can see a pending charge on the cc (although it seems that they charged twice, will see what happens). But the adult's reservation still shows no signs of lap child and still no receipt. They said the ticket is being processed by the ticketing department and should take less than a week.
Yeah, keep an eye out of the double charge, that has happened on two of mine (one for $400+). I've been told about the week or more for ticketing any number of times, but the only one that I've successfully added my daughter to (UA international paid reservation) showed her on the online reservation immediately after I got off the phone. The others are all still supposedly in the ticketing queue and show no sign of it anywhere.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tulane41
I know it's not an issue for all FTers, but the lap infant issue has been a complete and total disaster since 3/3.

We have 5 different international reservations of all sorts coming up - paid on UA, award on UA, award on *A partners - and trying to get our 14-month old added to each of them has been a complete nightmare. I've spent no less than 2 hours on the phone for each reservation and, unlike some of the issues I've dealt with post-3/3, there doesn't seem to be any agent that is any more sure they're doing the right thing than any other.

On the paid UA reservation, when I look at the reservation online, it now (after 3 weeks and numerous calls) shows the lap infant on the reservation. I've printed 1000 copies for posterity.

The award reservations are impossible. I've spent probably 8 hours on the phone over the past 3 weeks working on the Singapore flight, and (sitting on hold right now, 1 hour 44 minutes and counting...) this agent just told me that it's not possible for UA to add the infant and that I need to call SQ to do it. I had another agent tell me the same thing about an award flight on Qatar, and I called Qatar who told me UA had to do it. The hold time now is my fourth attempt at adding her to a Thai reservation (and to correct the spelling of her name, which the last agent apparently didn't do properly).

While I too worry about things like my CPUs not processing, GPUs not clearing, etc since 3/3, this is a much bigger deal to those of us that deal with it. No two agents give me the same answer. When they do tell me that something has actually been done there is no evidence to show for it - nothing appears in my online reservations on these partner awards, there is no confirmation number or ticket number they can give me, and I can't get an email receipt. In short, I have zero confidence that any of this is being done right, and I fully expect to show up at least one of NRT, SIN, DPS, BKK, DOH, LHR or BRU in the next two months and be told that I have to spend north of $1000 or more for a one-way ticket so that my daughter has a boarding pass for the privilege of sitting in our laps for countless hours.

I, like everyone else, have put up with all the merger growing pains. And I know that every person has their limit, and that some have already reached it and taken AAdvantage of AA's offer to jump ship. I can tell you very simply that this has already taken way too much of my time, will continue to take too much time between now and when we fly, has sapped most any confidence I have in the ability of United agents to do these procedures correctly (or even to tell me truthfully that they can't!), and when something predictably goes wrong on this series of flights I can honestly say that I will send my status match info to AA and never look back.
I just did this with a Swiss Business reservation. I called both UA and LX to see if I could get a better price. UA has to send it to rate desk for pricing since the Operating Carrier is the ultimate decider. It took an hour and the agent called me back to inform me of the price. Needless to say, the price is outrageous. $105 for the ticket, $900 for YB taxes. Ouch. Should just buy a coach ticket.

It looks like you have a very complicated ticket and it is not straight forward to price depending on taxes and ticket prorates.

But it is much easier to just call the operating carrier and book through them. It autoprices in a few seconds and they can book straight away. Or wait until the airport departure. I believe the infant tickets are based off the lowest published fare in the ticketed cabin plus taxes. It shouldn't vary that much.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by Tulane41
The only one where I can see her online is the paid international itinerary.
Is there some secret word or phrase that might help an agent figure out how to do this, or do we just have to play the "call till you get an informed agent" game?

I also have an international itinerary (upgraded) and a separate infant record with no flight segments.

Please let us know what happens when you actually try to fly this reservation, and what approach might solve the problem of dealing with chaos at the airport.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by downright
It took a week and 3 phone calls in order to get the ticket booked. It was in queue for that entire time. Now, my son shows up on my reservation.
Update on ours: after 3+ weeks it looks like our daugther is ticketed on our award reservation booked with UA miles on a QR flight. Of course, there was no notice from United. But I noticed the charge show up on my Amex statement, and when I looked at the transaction details online it showed a 016 ticket number. She also now shows on united.com on our reservation. My next step is to call QR to confirm they see her on there.

This is all well and good, and it's progress. But, this reservation is for the end of August, and I have two other *A parter award reservations that we fly in two weeks, and she hasn't shown up yet on either of those. That, coupled with the fact that each agent I talk to reassures me that these are being processed, "in chronological order by flight date," isn't all that comforting.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
This isn't very helpful for the posters above, but I thought I'd post this for posterity in case someone else is in the same boat a few months or years from now...

If you're flying with Aeroplan internationally, the fee for a lap child is $100 or 10,000 points. It was easily added to our LH itinerary to Dusseldorf. I'm not sure if this is an AC thing or just an Aeroplan thing.

The downside with Aeroplan is that they have ridiculous YQ surcharges, so be warned it may still be cheaper to pay the 10% fare.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:23 am

sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar question. So I was able to book from Mileage Plus an award ticket on Thai airways in business class for my wife and I. However, here is my problem, we also have an infant that will be travelling with us. When i tried booking it on UA.com, it allowed me to either book 2 adult tickets or 1 adult and 1 lap infant. If i tried to book 2 adults with a lap infant, the error screen comes up saying this flight is no longer available. Out of nervousness of not wanting to lose these award seats, I booked it with just my wife and I. I was thinking that I can just call UA and add my baby, is that correct? or did I make a HUGE mistake? thanks
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by babypuwet
sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar question. So I was able to book from Mileage Plus an award ticket on Thai airways in business class for my wife and I. However, here is my problem, we also have an infant that will be travelling with us. When i tried booking it on UA.com, it allowed me to either book 2 adult tickets or 1 adult and 1 lap infant. If i tried to book 2 adults with a lap infant, the error screen comes up saying this flight is no longer available. Out of nervousness of not wanting to lose these award seats, I booked it with just my wife and I. I was thinking that I can just call UA and add my baby, is that correct? or did I make a HUGE mistake? thanks
Call UA. You can't just show up with a lap infant.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by wpr8e
I just did this with a Swiss Business reservation. I called both UA and LX to see if I could get a better price. UA has to send it to rate desk for pricing since the Operating Carrier is the ultimate decider. It took an hour and the agent called me back to inform me of the price. Needless to say, the price is outrageous. $105 for the ticket, $900 for YB taxes. Ouch. Should just buy a coach ticket.
Does this work? Can you board the F or J cabin with a lap infant when the infant is holding a Y cabin seat?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Joshua
Does this work? Can you board the F or J cabin with a lap infant when the infant is holding a Y cabin seat?
I suspect not, you usually have to pay 10% of the full ticket price for the cabin in which you are traveling.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:10 pm

Just for the good of the group. I have a *A award booking via mileage plus with Thai Airways coming up and was able to contact Thai directly to issue the lap infant ticket. They had to price it first and call me back, and the rate was about 30% cheaper than what United quoted me.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:14 am

Question on adding child to travel award ticket

Here is my situation.

2 adults, 1 kid who is 7 years old and 1 baby 3 months old.

I want to use my United miles to book a travel award to Asia.

The strange part is it is 35,000 miles one way + $40 fees/tax per person, HOWEVER when I add the 3 month old on lap, it charges 35,000 miles + $800 fees/tax.

So basically United is trying to charge $740 for a 3 month old baby on lap (no seat). I assume its trying to charge tax on a full fare ticket cost as opposed to what one normally pays.

How do I get around this?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Call UA. On international flights, many carriers charge 10% of the fare for a lap child, so it's not just taxes. You should be able to choose between paying the 35,000 miles with minimal fees (which would also get your infant a seat), or paying the $800 with no miles (and no seat).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JiggyJohn
Here is my situation.

2 adults, 1 kid who is 7 years old and 1 baby 3 months old.

I want to use my United miles to book a travel award to Asia.

The strange part is it is 35,000 miles one way + $40 fees/tax per person, HOWEVER when I add the 3 month old on lap, it charges 35,000 miles + $800 fees/tax.

So basically United is trying to charge $740 for a 3 month old baby on lap (no seat). I assume its trying to charge tax on a full fare ticket cost as opposed to what one normally pays.

How do I get around this?
Give them a call? As far as I know, it is 10% of the code of an adult ticket (and it should be based on how much that ticket would cost today, not a full fare one, as far as I know) plus the taxes.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by emma69
Give them a call? As far as I know, it is 10% of the code of an adult ticket (and it should be based on how much that ticket would cost today, not a full fare one, as far as I know) plus the taxes.
United system shows the ticket as $8K+ per person. When you book with award, it shows cash value if you want to pay by cash instead of miles.
In reality, the ticket is around $800++

I guess I would have to call in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.