Search

Need help from the experts

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Need help from the experts

Hi all

thanks for looking into my post.

I am trying to book tickets from SFO to Chennai (India) for three adults and one infant. I see there are coach (40K) and business (60K) saver awards available. Route is SFO (united)--> FRA (Lufthansa)-->MAA (Lufthansa)
But my mileage-plus balance can buy either 3 coaches or 2 coaches and 1 business.

I need help to answer these questions,

1) If I book one business and 2 coaches, will united and Lufthansa are liberal in allowing us to switch places.

2) Also in what class do you recommend to book the ticket for the infant? Coach or business? I need bassinet and I heard some business classes doesn't have bassinet provision.

Thanks again for your replies..
Old May 18, 2012, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by madprinceras
Hi all

I am trying to book tickets from SFO to Chennai (India) for three adults and one infant. I see there are coach (40K) and business (60K) saver awards available. Route is SFO (united)--> FRA (Lufthansa)-->MAA (Lufthansa)
But my mileage-plus balance can buy either 3 coaches or 2 coaches and 1 business.

1) If I book one business and 2 coaches, will united and Lufthansa are liberal in allowing us to switch places.

2) Also in what class do you recommend to book the ticket for the infant? Coach or business? I need bassinet and I heard some business classes doesn't have bassinet provision.

I believe an infants fare is x% of the reg fare per class, so a BF infant tkt will cost alot more then a coach 1. But if you buy a coach 1 I wouldnt plan on taking the kid up to Biz

In all my yrs of flying the Only place Ive ever seen a bassinet is in Coach

They wll let you play musical chairs but plan on a 1 time swamp and plan on the Y passenger not being able to come and hang out with the Biz pasenger , but the Biz person can go back to Y all they want to. and make sure you clear it with the FA in Biz, dont simply switch on your own
Old May 18, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I'd suggest attaching the INF ticket to one of the coach tickets - you will have to pay 10% of the full economy fare, which will be cheaper than 10% of the full business fare.

As far as switching seats, you will have to decide who sits in the business seat before takeoff (doesn't necessarily have to be the person who is holding the ticket for that seat). Changing seats mid-flight is typically not allowed but you may get the crew who will let you do it once. Forget about the frequent swaps. I would also discourage frequent visits from the back cabin out of courtesy for your fellow passengers.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Hi all

LH may not be as liberal as you like when it comes to switching places. If you just want to switch once in the middle of the flight w your wife that should be ok (explain you have a baby width you). Depending upon aircraft the F cabin can be quite intimate. Your better w the baby in Y with one of you. People are not as understanding as they could be on over night flights if your baby starts to cry The best suggestion I can give is either all fly in Y together or get one C and two Y. The baby sits in Y while you and your wife take turns w her/him. (but they won't be happy w you switching every hour. One of you should take the first half and then switch only once.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
LH may not be as liberal as you like when it comes to switching places. If you just want to switch once in the middle of the flight w your wife that should be ok (explain you have a baby width you). Depending upon aircraft the F cabin can be quite intimate. Your better w the baby in Y with one of you. People are not as understanding as they could be on over night flights if your baby starts to cry The best suggestion I can give is either all fly in Y together or get one C and two Y. The baby sits in Y while you and your wife take turns w her/him. (but they won't be happy w you switching every hour. One of you should take the first half and then switch only once.
thank you to all for great suggestions..
but as I am new to FT, please help me decode the above..
what is F cabin? what is C and Y stands for?

got the answer....F and P for First Class, C and J for Business, and Y for economy.

Last edited by madprinceras; May 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craz
In all my yrs of flying the Only place Ive ever seen a bassinet is in Coach
Look harder. There are definitely bassinets in the biz cabins on most carriers. :-:

Beyond that, I agree with others that you will pay less (usually 10%) for the infant if it is attached to the coach reservation. But that also means it should remain in coach, not in business.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
F - First
C - Business Class
Y - Coach

These are typically booking codes for tickets hence the letters.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Hi all

OP - I hope you know that the 40K/60K is one-way only.

A thought? Book all three of you in coach, sitting in window/aisle/aisle.
No need for someone to be forced to sit in E. You may get lucky and nobody
sits there. (19 A, C, D). I'd also think 19 D, F, G - but then F is stuck if someone does sit in E.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I went ahead and booked 3 Y adults with an infant.

I have a connection with united and lufthansa is my final flight. Whose baggage policies will be enforced??
Any ideas??
Old May 21, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks all for your suggestions.
I went ahead and booked 3 Y adults with an infant.

I have a connection with united and lufthansa is my final flight. Whose baggage policies will be enforced??
Any ideas??
Simple answer:

Whichever airline you are beginning with at each end.

Harder answer:

The Most Significant Carrier (IATA 302 and the DOT regulation)

I would imagine LHR to MAA is less lengthy than SFO-LHR, and hence UA is the MSC.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by aacharya
Simple answer:

Whichever airline you are beginning with at each end.

Harder answer:

The Most Significant Carrier (IATA 302 and the DOT regulation)

I would imagine LHR to MAA is less lengthy than SFO-LHR, and hence UA is the MSC.
SFO-FRA 5699, FRA-MAA abt 4700, so yes, but not "by much". I'd print the web page and be prepared to debate this with MAA agents, as the LH outsourced staff can be quite difficult on this issue, I had quite the debate with them in more than one station when it came to checking bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.