Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easy United One Way Award Search Tool

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spgaston
Working like a charm and very useful, thanks! Only drawback is that if, for some reason, you wanted to see standard award availability you would need to uninstall or use a different browser. So, it would be nice to be able to toggle on/off the standard award filter.
Yep, that's on the list. Gotta figure out how to add configuration options to the script, then each thing (buttons, hiding standard awards, etc) will be individually togglable
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Another release!

2.1 - 4/24/2012
  • Expands mixed itinerary information instead of it being a popup
  • Color codes mixed cabin info as green if it is because a class doesn't exist on a plane (1 or 2 cabin plane)
  • Color codes mixed cabin info as yellow if it is because the higher class is sold out
  • Removed the three columns for standard awards leaving only saver awards
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Another release!

2.1 - 4/24/2012
  • Expands mixed itinerary information instead of it being a popup
  • Color codes mixed cabin info as green if it is because a class doesn't exist on a plane (1 or 2 cabin plane)
  • Color codes mixed cabin info as yellow if it is because the higher class is sold out
  • Removed the three columns for standard awards leaving only saver awards
Nice!

Any chance you might make it work in Safari (using NinjaKit, which is mostly compatible with GreaseMonkey)?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
lock non-stop option?

Nice tool. I really find the award search annoying because the flights I want are non-stop yet the site keeps being helpful and unchecks the box when it doesn't find any. So I keep needing to recheck non-stop when stepping forward day to day. Any way to detect non-stop was selected, and keep it on?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Good job!

Some findings:

1. When there are no Saver Awards, sometimes I get only the headers (Saver award, Standard award) and sometimes I get nothing. When I get headers only, I feel something is not working right. Maybe it is just how the UA website works.
2. It will be nice to be able to specify nonstop vs multistop itinerary.

Originally Posted by spgaston
Working like a charm and very useful, thanks! Only drawback is that if, for some reason, you wanted to see standard award availability you would need to uninstall or use a different browser. So, it would be nice to be able to toggle on/off the standard award filter.
If you are using firefox, just click on the GreaseMonkey icon on your browser once and it switches off the scripts and clicking on it again enables it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ualvet
Nice!

Any chance you might make it work in Safari (using NinjaKit, which is mostly compatible with GreaseMonkey)?
I hadn't planned on it, but I can look into it. Have you just tried the existing script? I am not using GreaseMonkey specific functionality except in a few places. And, because I am testing on Chrome as well, I have alternate functionality in place to fill in for the missing GreaseMonkey functions in Chrome

Originally Posted by djmp
Nice tool. I really find the award search annoying because the flights I want are non-stop yet the site keeps being helpful and unchecks the box when it doesn't find any. So I keep needing to recheck non-stop when stepping forward day to day. Any way to detect non-stop was selected, and keep it on?
In it's current form, I don't think so. Clicking on the dates in the calendar (which is what the script is doing behind the scenes), does not respect the "nonstop flights only" checkbox.

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Good job!

Some findings:

1. When there are no Saver Awards, sometimes I get only the headers (Saver award, Standard award) and sometimes I get nothing. When I get headers only, I feel something is not working right. Maybe it is just how the UA website works.
2. It will be nice to be able to specify nonstop vs multistop itinerary.
I believe what you may be experiencing is the visual difference between no saver awards (which results in all rows being removed) and no awards at all, which United ends up printing a very small message about on the page that says:
united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements.
I can look into possibly adding my own message when all rewards returned have been filtered out

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
If you are using firefox, just click on the GreaseMonkey icon on your browser once and it switches off the scripts and clicking on it again enables it.
I've got an update in progress that has three config variables
1) Turn on and off the navigation buttons
2) Turn on and off the expansion/highlighting of mixed cabin results
3) Turn on and off the removal of all standard reward info
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I hadn't planned on it, but I can look into it. Have you just tried the existing script? I am not using GreaseMonkey specific functionality except in a few places. And, because I am testing on Chrome as well, I have alternate functionality in place to fill in for the missing GreaseMonkey functions in Chrome
Tried it, but no buttons appeared, so it must be missing some important function. If it's not an easy fix, I'll just continue using it with Firefox. Thanks for doing this!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ualvet
Tried it, but no buttons appeared, so it must be missing some important function. If it's not an easy fix, I'll just continue using it with Firefox. Thanks for doing this!
OK, I'll see if I can look at it tonight.

Also, I found a formatting bug that affects the display when only two classes of service are present for all flights on a route (like LAX-SFO). In that case, the original display only had 4 columns (2x Saver and 2x Standard). Once the script is done, the formatting is messed up because it assumed that there were originally 6 columns and that there would be 3 columns after it was done. I think I can squish that tonight as well.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:48 pm

Looks like a nice tool. Another useful option would be a button to switch the search to the return flight, swapping the departure and arrival cities.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Version 2.2 is released (follow the link in the first post)

2.2 - 4/24/2012
  • FIXED BUG - Display was not correct when no three class flight options were available
  • Added in config options dialog with the help of GM_config
  • Minor code cleanup to prevent uncaught exceptions

In order to use the options dialog, click the Options button. On the window that appears, change the options you would like. You MUST hit Save to preserve the settings before hitting Close. Once that is done, refresh the award search results page in order to apply the new settings. This is a bit clunky right now. It is unfortunately a bit more complicated because I am trying to maintain cross browser compatibility for Chrome and Firefox (for now).
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penner42
Looks like a nice tool. Another useful option would be a button to switch the search to the return flight, swapping the departure and arrival cities.
Unfortunately, because this script is only utilizing the links in the calendar at the top, it is currently not capable of changing the search parameters.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Version 2.3 is released (follow the link in the first post)

2.3 - 4/26/2012
  • Made United text about not being able to find any awards larger and red
  • Added a large warning that all results had been filtered out because only standard awards were found
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:01 am
Original Poster

FYI - I have figured out the problem with Safari+Ninjakit. I can post an update tomorrow.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Version 2.3 is released (follow the link in the first post)

2.3 - 4/26/2012
  • Made United text about not being able to find any awards larger and red
  • Added a large warning that all results had been filtered out because only standard awards were found
Suggestion: Please do not make the text that big with red letters, it is hard on the eyes. Keep the font size around 12 and provide a background highlight similar to what you are doing when a particular class is not available in a multi-leg journey. The latter is easy to spot and recognize.

Thanks for your script.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Yep - another release addressing some things posted in this thread

2.4 - 4/27/2012
  • Added support for Safari+Ninjakit
  • Made the warnings for filtering all results and no results less obnoxious
  • Revamped the formatting of the options dialog
  • Hitting save on the options dialog will now automatically reload the page and thus apply the new settings

Please keep the suggestions flowing. I'd also love to hear success stories of course! I used a prototype of this script to find my own award journey consisting of 10 segments that includes:
  • LAX-IAD in lie flat pmCO BF seats
  • IAD-FRA in UA New F
  • ZRH-BKK in LX F
  • BKK-FRA in TG F
  • FRA-IAH in LH C on an A380
  • A few of intra-asia C segments on TG and SQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.