Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does a waitlisted RPU improve your chances vs. CPU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR

I waitlisted an RPU for a flight showing A/F/P4, R0 (UA 710 today, LAX-CLE, and an A320 which the new United does not customarily open any R inventory up for until a few days out from departure).

Inventory opened up to F2, R1 about 30 hours before that flight's departure. I rang the 1K desk and asked if my RPU could be applied instantly, but was told no, it couldn't, as there were other people in the waitlist ahead of me.

I went ahead and checked in as early as possible. I got offered a TOD upgrade for $229 (from a $174 base fare), with the solemn warning of "2 seats available, 15 customers eligible for upgrade". I declined.

At this point, I was #2 on the upgrade list on mobile.united.com.

My upgrade then went ahead and cleared at T-23:50.

The customer who was #2 on the battlefield list also cleared.

My questions are:
(1) Did having a waitlisted RPU improve my chances? (Since #1 customer didn't, I don't think it did, unless he had a WL'd RPU too.)
(2) If you see R inventory open up, can an RPU be instantly applied, or do you just end up in some kind of queue? (In other words, is RPU just like CPU?)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Joshua
I waitlisted an RPU for a flight showing A/F/P4, R0 (UA 710 today, LAX-CLE, and an A320 which the new United does not customarily open any R inventory up for until a few days out from departure).

Inventory opened up to F2, R1 about 30 hours before that flight's departure. I rang the 1K desk and asked if my RPU could be applied instantly, but was told no, it couldn't, as there were other people in the waitlist ahead of me.

My questions are:
(1) Did having a waitlisted RPU improve my chances? (Since #1 customer didn't, I don't think it did, unless he had a WL'd RPU too.)
(2) If you see R inventory open up, can an RPU be instantly applied, or do you just end up in some kind of queue? (In other words, is RPU just like CPU?)
1. Yes. Mileage upgrades and instruments are prioritized ahead of CPUs.
2. You should be able to call and have the RPU cancelled and then reapply it and instantly clear.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Air Houston
2. You should be able to call and have the RPU cancelled and then reapply it and instantly clear.
As long as it is outside the 24hr mark, indeed.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
1. Yes. Mileage upgrades and instruments are prioritized ahead of CPUs.
why would you need to cancel it and reapplied ?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k650
why would you need to cancel it and reapplied ?
because RPU and GPUs clear automatically, but apprently not if R space is opened after you apply.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I have yet to clear in a battlefield upgrade as a platinum ....... I had better luck as a 1p
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
because RPU and GPUs clear automatically, but apprently not if R space is opened after you apply.
Interesting! so if the R space opens up after you apply RPU/GPU, it will not clear ? This is a huge step back from PMUA system.

Is this well documented?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting! so if the R space opens up after you apply RPU/GPU, it will not clear ? This is a huge step back from PMUA system.

Is this well documented?
I can only point to my own experience.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting! so if the R space opens up after you apply RPU/GPU, it will not clear ? ....
sometimes yes, sometimes no IME
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
OP: Yes, to your question, but not always.....My experience PIT-DEN. 96 hrs 3 "R" available. I did not clear CPU. Called up and applied a RPU for upgrade, 3 "R" still available. Agent said no. We can no longer upgrade manually. Asked for Supervisor, She too said no because we then oversell F. The computer does all upgrading, but is not working, and they don't know why..... But.... I will do a 1 time exception.....
I wonder since US Airways uses Shares....Would their IT dept know how to fix this mess?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime

Is this well documented?
It may clear, just not immediately.

A GPU or RPU will clear when a sweep occurs (if R is available) but you can get it to clear in advance of the sweep by applying the RPU or GPU whenever R>0. A sweep will occur when a 24 hour (approximately) multiple from flight departure occurs or when someone checks in for the flight (which could be more than 24 hours prior to departure due to connecting traffic) provided the process hasn't been stalled by an out of sync record.

You can apply an instrument anytime R>0, even within 24 hours. You can not waitlist a GPU or RPU within 24 hours if R=0, however.

CPUs do NOT process just because R>0. Only GPUs and RPUs and mileage upgrades are "guaranteed" to occur when R>0. Guaranteed is in quotes because we have seen many examples reported where upgrades were not processed properly.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:19 pm

A GPU or RPU will clear when a sweep occurs (if R is available) but you can get it to clear in advance of the sweep by applying the RPU or GPU whenever R>0. A sweep will occur when a 24 hour (approximately) multiple from flight departure occurs or when someone checks in for the flight (which could be more than 24 hours prior to departure due to connecting traffic) provided the process hasn't been stalled by an out of sync record.

You can apply an instrument anytime R>0, even within 24 hours. You can not waitlist a GPU or RPU within 24 hours if R=0, however.

CPUs do NOT process just because R>0. Only GPUs and RPUs and mileage upgrades are "guaranteed" to occur when R>0. Guaranteed is in quotes because we have seen many examples reported where upgrades were not processed properly.

This is interesting, thanks for spelling this out so clearly. So what is your strategy in applying RPUs, then, do you like to wait until close-in and see if you can get it to clear right away with R>0? Do you apply it when you book--and hope for the best?

Also, how does the check-in offer affect your thinking, if it all? Seems that you have pretty good CPU success anyway. If I was Joshua, I might have bit when faced with such "tall" odds...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by First
This is interesting, thanks for spelling this out so clearly. So what is your strategy in applying RPUs, then, do you like to wait until close-in and see if you can get it to clear right away with R>0? Do you apply it when you book--and hope for the best?

Also, how does the check-in offer affect your thinking, if it all? Seems that you have pretty good CPU success anyway. If I was Joshua, I might have bit when faced with such "tall" odds...
If I really want to be sitting in the front then I apply the RPU as soon as I decide to use it. There are plenty of cases where UA opens up one or two R seats a couple weeks in advance, or a couple days in advance, or at what seems to be any random time. So having the RPU listed is definitely better than not having it listed. You certainly can get upgraded on a waitlisted RPU, it just doesn't happen the instant that R becomes available like it did with PMUA. That said, if you happen to find out about R availability between sweeps (via ExpertFlyer notification or a flight search where you notice it) you can always call and have the RPU removed and then reapply it to get the system to upgrade you right away. Knowing that a CPU won't automatically clear just because there is R availability is immensely helpful in this case because otherwise you might take the RPU off and in the end not get the CPU. I would only remove an RPU at 5-days out if F was wide open and there were hardly any people booked in E+, which would indicate very few Premiers on the flight and an excellent chance of getting a CPU. (For example, flying to Kansas City on Thursday January 4 - which is NOT going to be a busy travel day for Premiers.)

I have been upgraded before check-in on most of my flights this year, and only received a check-in offer one time. I suspect the offer I received was a buy-up to M fare as it was for $300 and the system said there were ten people on the wait-list with one seat available; I declined the offer and sat in an exit row.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM

Whoa! That's interesting. I did not know you could apply a GPU/RPU <24 hr window if R>0!

In any case, why the 24 hour limit to wait list a GRU/RPU? What are they trying to prevent?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
I applied a RPU to a flight from SFO to IAD the other day. Stayed on waitlist until the day before flight. 24h prior, I received a message saying that the upgrade did not clear and the RPU would be returned to my account. An hour later the CPU cleared, go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.