Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United crew from UA961 overslept on the flight today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

No pre-landing snack for the economy class cabin. Or coffee after dinner. I was not the guy who did it, but the rumor among the pax was that someone had to go up to the business class area to get help. I was in e+ but on the left toward the rear.

When they tried to tackle him for using the business class restrooms, he told them to wake up the flight crew because we were 30 min out and needed to land

Granted, The flight was shorter than normal, but everyone knew it was announced by the ground staff before boarding and by the flight deck after takeoff

Of course no mention or apology from the crew. Stealing money today.

Another day on the friendly skies.......

Cheers ytjk
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:55 am
mapoptic

@ytjk:

I just want to be sure I understand what you are saying. Was the rumor on the flight that the pilots were dozing, and forgot to begin their descent on time, or was the issue that the flight attendants were paying no attention to the passage of time and therefore were not able to perform some of the usual cabin service?

Thanks for the clarification.

Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mapoptic
... or was the issue that the flight attendants were paying no attention to the passage of time and therefore were not able to perform some of the usual cabin service?
This seems most likely. But really, there could be any number of excuses for it, right? People Magazines doesn't read itself....

Last edited by hobo13; Apr 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by ytjk
No pre-landing snack for the economy class cabin. Or coffee after dinner. I was not the guy who did it, but the rumor among the pax was that someone had to go up to the business class area to get help. I was in e+ but on the left toward the rear.

When they tried to tackle him for using the business class restrooms, he told them to wake up the flight crew because we were 30 min out and needed to land

Granted, The flight was shorter than normal, but everyone knew it was announced by the ground staff before boarding and by the flight deck after takeoff

Of course no mention or apology from the crew. Stealing money today.

Another day on the friendly skies.......

Cheers ytjk

i think i get it
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Since OP did not actually witness the crew oversleeping (or stealing actual currency for that matter), we should probably change the title to *rumor*.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by hobo13
People Magazines doesn't read itself....

Well played, I am rotfl.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Do I read that seat map correctly that the flight departed 10/12 in F and 18/49 in C?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Not having all the UA flight numbers memorized as some, can you tell me where this flight flew from/to?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K (pmua), Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Not having all the UA flight numbers memorized as some, can you tell me where this flight flew from/to?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UA961 :-)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Brussels to Newark.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hobo13
This seems most likely. But really, there could be any number of excuses for it, right? People Magazines doesn't read itself....
Is this another change to like from the merger? Has United banned the US Weeklys and instituted a People magazine only policy for crew?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I apologize for the confusion. Yes it was Brussels-Newark

I did witness the oversleeping event. What I didn't witness the passenger who went to business class.

It was frankly hilarious to watch another attendant wake them up, watch them all scramble out of the crew rest area, decide they had no time to serve the snack because we were already in the descent, and basically barely get the cabin ready for arrival before landing.

I was not of course referring to the pilots.

Anyway, not a rumor just another flight crew stealing money.

YTJK
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by ytjk
Anyway, not a rumor just another flight crew stealing money.
This type of rhetoric isn't helpful. Did they steal money out of your wallet? They overslept. They didn't do their jobs. They're probably embarrassed. You didn't get a meal. At no point are they richer for it.

Write in and you'll get miles for it.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:41 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Moral of the story, don't fly fast, conserve fuel, get in on time, flight crews areready for their job at the apprpriat time. I blame the pilots for this (lol, not really, but no question that they/weather/ATC did contribute) to tis.

I am amazed though. I thought that the CO crews were "the best in the business".
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by fastair

I am amazed though. I thought that the CO crews were "the best in the business".
Glad to see the us vs. them spilling over into UA employees on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.