Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 12, 3:33 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: United
Posts: 6
United's $75 Late Booking Fee? (Close-in Booking Fee)

Hi folks,
I'm new. I wanted to ask if anyone has challenged the $75 fee United charges for booking within some unknown period of time close to departure. I just called my credit card company and demanded they remove it. I was literally forced to buy the ticket online, then they slapped this fee on and I did not see it anywhere.
This whole thing has to stop. The government needs to re-regulate these crooks.
rocketdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 12, 3:36 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdriver View Post
Hi folks,
I'm new. I wanted to ask if anyone has challenged the $75 fee United charges for booking within some unknown period of time close to departure. I just called my credit card company and demanded they remove it. I was literally forced to buy the ticket online, then they slapped this fee on and I did not see it anywhere.
This whole thing has to stop. The government needs to re-regulate these crooks.
Welcome to FT!
Perhaps if you could provide a few more details of what happened, folks here might be able to help give you some answers to what was apparently a frustrating situation.
UAPremExecflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 12, 3:42 pm   #3
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 26,157
Welcome to FT!, rocketdriver

Not sure I understand your posting.

There is a with 21 day fee for booking award tickets but there is no equivalent fee for $$$ tickets. Award fee chart is here and the cost shown prior to final purchase. Which was yours?

There is a fee for booking ticket on the phone while there is none for online purchases. You are typically informed prior to purchase n the phone of the fee -- so should not be a surprise. Which was yours?

As for disputing either of the above, probably not going to win either -- they have been in service for awhile and are well documented online. And UA is far from the only airline that does this.

Was your case one of the above or different?
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 12, 9:03 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,363
Whenever I have booked a reward flight, right above the "select" button for a flight, it says "xx,xxx miles and $xx.xx" its quite clear what the fee will be, and as I progress through to purchase, it lists the fee in miles and dollars, up until it prompts me to purchase.

As far as other close-in booking fees, I am not aware of any specific fees which would apply in any other type of ticket.

Please post either a screen shot, or cut and paste your reciept information, and maybe we can figure out what this fee is.


Also, you aren't going to get anywhere "demanding" your credit card refund any fees. For starters, they cannot do anything until the charge formally posts to your account, and even then, they usually will require you to attempt to settle with the merchant before proceeding to a dispute.
__________________
coming Soon
kwildnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 12, 9:55 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Posts: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdriver View Post
I was literally forced to buy the ticket online, then they slapped this fee on and I did not see it anywhere.
This whole thing has to stop. The government needs to re-regulate these crooks.
Really, literally forced? I would like to know how that happened. I think perhaps you should look up the word "literal" in the dictionary, perhaps you meant "figuratively"? Unless of course an actual person was threatening you with harm if you didn't buy the ticket, in which case, I think there are far bigger problems.
fastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 4:25 pm   #6
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 26,157
was this within 21 days? (a PMCO rule and added to PMUA once they alinged the award charts) or to an international destination (airport fees)?
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 5:10 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
was this within 21 days? (a PMCO rule and added to PMUA once they alinged the award charts) or to an international destination (airport fees)?
As a 1K, these fees would be waived, however. As a 1K who "hasn't booked a reward in 5 years", that must a nice little cache of miles
__________________
coming Soon
kwildnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 7:34 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental250K View Post
Going BUF to LAX in 10 days and can't find a SWU fare not arriving at midnight.


Any fare is eligible for RPU (CR-1) or GPU (SWU) when the flight is domestic, as BUF-LAX is...
flyer215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 7:41 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 9,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdriver View Post
Hi folks,
I'm new. I wanted to ask if anyone has challenged the $75 fee United charges for booking within some unknown period of time close to departure. I just called my credit card company and demanded they remove it. I was literally forced to buy the ticket online, then they slapped this fee on and I did not see it anywhere.
This whole thing has to stop. The government needs to re-regulate these crooks.
You need to get an education in fares and fees before claiming "crooks" and
calling the credit card companies on a valid, published fee.
__________________
2014 CPUs: 18/29 Missed: EWR-SEA, PHL-IAH, SEA-EWR, PDX-SFO, SFO-PHL (x2), PHL-SFO (x2), SAN-EWR, IAD-SMF, PSP-IAH
aacharya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 7:58 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental250K View Post
And wait list? Why risk it?

Might as well use 25k and go thru ORD confirmed in 2E.

It rhymes.
Does using mile to upgrade invariably avoid being wait listed.
Being eligible is different then getting an upgrade.
If the flight shows 0 in the fare bucket then it is not eligible right?
JohnMacWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 8:34 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 17,222
CC companies don't "remove" fees. You can initiate a chargeback request. UA will be asked to respond and, presuming that they've documented the fee, which they most certainly have, you will lose the chargeback and have wasted a whole lot of time.

What are the details of your itinerary and fare basis and what, exactly was the fee for?
Often1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:43 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: JAX
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
was this within 21 days? (a PMCO rule and added to PMUA once they alinged the award charts) or to an international destination (airport fees)?
I believe the 21 day advance rule was put in place sometime last June. I remember because shortly after (and not having received any kind of notification from UA) I booked 4 reward tickets and was charged $75 for each. I called United and after being very polite but firm and being transferred to various supervisors, I was able to have the fees waived. This was only because the policy had just become active and they had not sent any customer communication. Now I know...
jstevenson0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 11:46 pm   #13
Moderator, All Nippon Airways
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TYO
Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH G
Posts: 2,790
Close-in booking fee; booked vs ticketed?

I booked an *A award with UA on 10 September for travel in mid-October. It turns out that they never ticketed it for whatever reason, and finally got around to calling me today after a 3-day weekend to "confirm" my credit card details. However, I was informed that I would now have to pay the $75 close-in booking fee since I am now within 21 days of travel.

I did not have time to argue as I'm at work, but is this correct? I thought the booking fee depended upon the date on which the flight was booked, not when it was ticketed. And since this seems like an error on UA's part (they never thought to email me in the week since the 10th), shouldn't I be exempt from paying this? I don't redeem much with UA, so I'd appreciate any advice.
armagebedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 11:53 pm   #14
TA
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: if it's Thursday, this must be Belgium
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 4,231
When you say they didn't ticket it "for whatever reason", what was the reason? You forgetting to ticket it? Or them having taken payment, but not ticketed it because of an error?
TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 11:59 pm   #15
Moderator, All Nippon Airways
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TYO
Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH G
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA View Post
When you say they didn't ticket it "for whatever reason", what was the reason? You forgetting to ticket it? Or them having taken payment, but not ticketed it because of an error?
How can I "forget" to ticket it? I booked it, then received the standard "We are processing your reservation and will send you an e-ticket confirmation once this has been completed...." message. I would think that it's then up to UA to swiftly ticket the award or contact me ASAP if there is something amiss. When they finally did contact me, all they asked was if I indeed wanted to go through with purchasing the award (and the additional miles required) and asked for my credit card details and UA PIN. I had already put in my credit card details when I booked the award with no hint of trouble, so I'm still a bit baffled why they needed to call me.
armagebedar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:25 pm.