Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Working IFE and Reading Lights on my DEL-EWR Flight -Can I Complain to UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I landed in EWR today after the 15 hr flight from DEL in economy. On the plus side, the flight attendants were excellent - very polite and attentive. On the negative, however, an entire cluster of In-Flight Entertainment was non-functional. Eg. seats 39D-F were non-functional, where as 39A-C were. This further resulted in being unable to turn on the overhead personal reading light.

Now, 15 hours without IFE is uncomfortable, but manageable. But spending more than 11 of those hours without the overhead personal light makes it significantly worse -(and, to me, is unacceptable) - so no TV and no books/magazines.

Has anyone else been in this situation recently? Can I complain to United and expect anything? The attendant did say that UA will make-up to us at EWR; but the ground staff at EWR were unhelpful

Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, HHonors - Gold
on recent Z class fare Flight UA950, LAX - IAD I had an IFE failure that did not affect overhead light, but equipment is very different from yours I'm sure.

One thing to note though is that flight attendant gave an on the spot "sorry for the inconvenience" card that I redeemed on their website for $US50 flight voucher. She seemed to have a stack of them available for such issues. I'm not sure if this is Biz class specific and dependent on routes.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXgilmo
on recent Z class fare Flight UA950, LAX - IAD I had an IFE failure that did not affect overhead light, but equipment is very different from yours I'm sure.

One thing to note though is that flight attendant gave an on the spot "sorry for the inconvenience" card that I redeemed on their website for $US50 flight voucher. She seemed to have a stack of them available for such issues. I'm not sure if this is Biz class specific and dependent on routes.
these Sky Kits are something that the old UA had but CO never did. with CO you had to call or write in, so that they could tell you well we flew you from Pt A to Pt B , if reading is what you wanted to do you should have gone to a Library instead, no IFE should have gone to a Movie Theater, no special meal where arent a restaurant... just get use to hearing these answers. ive heard them countless times when I was flying CO for some 10 yrs
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
PMUA used to be very good about taking care of Customers with flight issues.

Not sure what's going to happen in the new era. I'd file a complaint, take the survey and complain, post on the Twitter or FB pages.

It's important to be heard on the matter, I think.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Don't expect much from COdbaUA. Fredd recently reported that Mrs. Fredd received $50 for non-functioning IFE in C! on DEL-EWR. She is a 1K MM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up, we received a reply from United today - $100 for each of us (so $200 in total). The accompanying email, however, was a little disappointing - they apologized for the delay in responding, and blamed system integration for all problems (?). No mention of faulty equipment.

But we got something, so no grumblings there.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
After getting stuck with faulty reading lights one too many times, I've taken to packing a cheapo book light in my carry-on.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rn273
As a follow up, we received a reply from United today - $100 for each of us (so $200 in total). The accompanying email, however, was a little disappointing - they apologized for the delay in responding, and blamed system integration for all problems (?). No mention of faulty equipment.

But we got something, so no grumblings there.
Glad you got some resolution - but wow, pretty pathetic
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Glad you got some resolution - but wow, pretty pathetic
Yeah, atleast they got something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.