Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United tickets on hold are only till 5pm Central time now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

ok I tried to purchase a ticket and my credit card was declined and i then i called my credit card company asking why and they said there was some freuad charged on the card and a new card would be sent. On the United.con it says complete this purchase now and ticket will be held till midnight on the 19th of Jan. and as i was purchasing the ticket the ticket went away. I called and they said it is now 5pm central time and not midnight for hold tickets. I then asked her if the fare lock tickets are the same and she said she did not know but that was a good question.
BE WARNED TO GET TICKETS BEFORE 5pm CENTRAL TIME!!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA*G
I had several award bookings cancelled before the midnight expiration, called United and said its was 5pm so its seems that ua.com is showing the wrong time
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Been this way for some time.

If it's an actual "hold" (done over the phone, paying with cash on the website, etc) then it'll say that it'll held until midnight at the origin, and it will do so.

However if it's a "website problem" hold, then the website will say that it's been held until midnight at the origin, but it will only actually be held until around 5pm (not sure if it's 5pm at origin, 5pm Central, midnight GMT or what exactly).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Same experience. Went to book a ticket held via the website about 9pm CST and it was gone, even though the PNR said midnight in the originating city.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Same experience. Went to book a ticket held via the website about 9pm CST and it was gone, even though the PNR said midnight in the originating city.
Held how? "Cash", or invalid credit card?

I have a ticket on hold at the moment that is due to expire at midnight Eastern tonight, and it's still there - held using "Cash".
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by docbert
Been this way for some time.

If it's an actual "hold" (done over the phone, paying with cash on the website, etc) then it'll say that it'll held until midnight at the origin, and it will do so.

However if it's a "website problem" hold, then the website will say that it's been held until midnight at the origin, but it will only actually be held until around 5pm (not sure if it's 5pm at origin, 5pm Central, midnight GMT or what exactly).

I think it's midnight GMT. Ticket receipts seem to be using GMT for the issued on date these days. If I buy a ticket in the evening (even before midnight in Houston), it usually shows issued date is tomorrow.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm Reason: enough
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It's always been like this, IME, for "phone" holds. If you actually enter credit card info (like if you don't have enough points for an award redemption), the hold will stay until midnight.

-Matthew
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:53 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
CST is 6 hours behind GMT, so the expiration would be at 6 pm under the GMT scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.