Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Got a good laugh: Because of the merger, your refund will likely take a long time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a good laugh: Because of the merger, your refund will likely take a long time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Last week I was booked IAD-ACC and UA cancelled the flight for 'operational' reasons (ie, very light load).

I took the option of a full refund of my otherwise non-refundable ticket over being re-accomidated two full days later.

So of course, on the first pass, the refund department refunded the base fare minus $250.

When I called refunds this morning to get it sorted, the fella says, 'We will fix this and get you a full refund, but you will have to be patient. This is merger week and it may take a long time to get this fixed and for your refund to be properly processed.'

I literally laughed out loud. And asked, 'what's a long time?'

He said, 'well we usually say 7 business days, but I can't say that for sure.'

Really? It's merger week and there seem to be no issues paying for tickets...but refunds...? Yeah. That's going to take a while.

It's like they are TRYING to drive my business away.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Last week I was booked IAD-ACC and UA cancelled the flight for 'operational' reasons (ie, very light load).

I took the option of a full refund of my otherwise non-refundable ticket over being re-accomidated two full days later.

So of course, on the first pass, the refund department refunded the base fare minus $250.

When I called refunds this morning to get it sorted, the fella says, 'We will fix this and get you a full refund, but you will have to be patient. This is merger week and it may take a long time to get this fixed and for your refund to be properly processed.'

Really? It's merger week and there seem to be no issues paying for tickets...but refunds...? Yeah. That's going to take a while.

It's like they are TRYING to drive my business away.
Can you go back and challenge the original charge with your cc company? You can also challenge the incorrect refund (using the refund as proof of UA's intention to refund you something, so it's not a spurrious challenge). Then you can patiently wait for UA to get its act together.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

I had Air France process a refund for me a couple of months ago and it took six weeks. Their standard thing to say is that it will show up on your CC statement within the next two or three billing cycles. I'd be thrilled with one or two weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Changes Jeff thinks we are going to like.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You're doing better than over at AA. I had an e-mail from a Northern CA AA flyer this morning that was told his refund request isn't even scheduled to be looked at until March 27. Amazing.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Changes Jeff thinks we are going to like.
Right. This has to do directly with the CEO how?

Seriously for every thread this pops up. Mostly inappropriately.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya

I disagree. Mr. Smisek is the one who was bombarding us with the catch phrase, and when you do that as he as, there's going to be some blowback.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by aacharya

I am far from a Smisek apologist, but I have to agree about this one. Whilst I've never needed to request a refund from PMCO, I have only ever received refunds from PMUA by disputing the charge with my credit card company, threatening legal action, or a combination of both.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Refunds on or near 3/3?

Bought ticket 2/29 and cancelled under the 24 hour cancellation policy the next day on 3/1. CS rep said it should take 5 business days for the refund to process. Nothing credited back to my CC yet. I figure due to the integration refunds are delayed as well. Anyone in the same situation or have any luck getting a refund credited during this very hectic time period? I cringe at the thought on being on hold for hours to try to take care of this but on the other hand don't want to be out $$$.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:00 pm

I refunded a refundable ticket on 3/2 but after not seeing the credit called back this week and was told it has not been cancelled. They "refunded" it again, but I can't see any refund yet or even check on the refund status. Also, purchased premium seating on 3/2 on united.com by mistake, called to cancel, was told to request the refund online because the refund department " was not taking calls" due to merger, and not seeing anything done re-requested the refund this week with no results at all. I am waiting another several days to allow them two weeks and will need to escalate the issue. There are multiple venues - credit card dispute, DOT complaint, etc. It's time they got their act together. People are complaining about the upgrades, but what about the non-processing of refunds, and non-posting of flights (from 3/5?).

BTW, was advised to "email [email protected]" as well as go on united.com/refunds.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
It looks like United processed the refund from a cancellation from 3/1. It took 2 weeks, instead of the 5 days but I'm just glad I got my $$ back without having to dispute the charge^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I was laughing at the time: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...long-time.html

But on the closing date of my credit card cycle I disputed the charges with Chase.

No way in hell am I paying interest after UA screwed me and are now totally screwed up.

Not laughing anymore.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
I cancelled 4 award tickets (on 2 PNRs) on 3/2, which I paid with 2 separate credit cards for the taxes and fees. Received 3 same letters mailed to one of C/C billing address showing $5 ($2.50x2) will be refunded -- this is fine. Also received another 3 same letters to the other C/C's billing address showing $0 will be refunded; but for this one, total taxes and fees were over $300 (~$160 each). Called 1k desk, and was told to disregard the letters. They explained "CO system won't read UA data correctly, which caused the error on the letters. What can I say except laugh?

Btw, none of the refunds show up on my accounts yet, as of today. I purchased those tickets months ago so the charge has been settled long time ago. I dont think I can disbute the charges now (don't want to bother either). I told the 1k rep I won't concern too much as long as he can see the charge correctly shown on his system. I think it would be a matter of time to get them back.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
Btw, none of the refunds show up on my accounts yet, as of today. I purchased those tickets months ago so the charge has been settled long time ago. I dont think I can disbute the charges now (don't want to bother either). I told the 1k rep I won't concern too much as long as he can see the charge correctly shown on his system. I think it would be a matter of time to get them back.
It would still be very easy to dispute. Just today, I went ahead and disputed the original charge for a refund initiated 2/27 after 6-7 fax and email communications unanswered from United. Just pathetic.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by rch4u
It would still be very easy to dispute. Just today, I went ahead and disputed the original charge for a refund initiated 2/27 after 6-7 fax and email communications unanswered from United. Just pathetic.
It's good that Credit Card companies will go the extra mile. It's sad we have to resort to this to get action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.