Search

Where are all the nasty FA's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:02 pm

Delete

Last edited by FlyHigh74; Feb 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'll post my latest experience here as it fits, but it could be filed under a couple of more topics. Sunday night on UA 872.
NYC based crew
The purser named Gustavo:
1. Pre departure drink: only offered luke warm water not even juice. Request for a diet coke was ignored
2. Meal order, took by row. They had 3 salads all gone in first row. Full fare Italian couple in 2nd row ( I could see stars on print out) wasn't even offered choice. He saw my 4 stars and just said "I am sure you are ok with wrap". I said not really, he asked nothing or wrap
3. Right after the double chime before landing, he makes the electronic device announcement then sits down, takes out his iPhone and types on it right until after touchdown.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by M11Stephen

I really don't know why UA doesn't crack down on agents and F/As who consistently provide bad customer service.
They don't because UA doesn't care about providing good service. If UA cared about providing good service there wouldn't be multiple complaints in this thread alone about the food.

Do you know what someone who tries hard and provides exceptional service gets at the end of the day at UA? The exact same as someone who provides terrible service.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer420
LH FA's have generally been great, but some of their CSRs and GAs (often the same at US stations) do little to erase memories of Germanic love of rules and blind enforcement of same. Vee haf our methods!
I will always remember my first transit through FRA and the LH GA who was scolding the members of my group (for only arriving at the gate 20 minutes ahead of departure) like we were in grade school.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
Originally Posted by Baze
All it takes is one DYKWIA attitude to change a FA to a bad mood. But at the same time all it can take is one person smiling and saying please and thank you to improve a FA's attitude. I can't believe how many passengers I see that can't extend common courtesy by saying, please and thank you.
ummm ... whaaaa??? ... so in your world, the passengers have to be courteous to the FA's before they return the "favor" ... It seems to me that the model you propose is entirely reversed ... in my experience, the rude FAs whom I treated well only continued to be rude/abrasive/discourteous

when I laid out for a FA - "I do not need you to give me attitude when I ask for a refill" I was treated far far better than when I earlier asked her "ohh please, ohh thank you, ohh may I..., would you be so kind as to..."

I'm paying for the seat ... I don't need a servant ... I need an attendant who **attends** and I don't need to preface that with obsequious solicitations to get them to do the rudiments of their job
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by boss315
Mixed bag on co and I've flown them for 31 years! Newark crews tend to be surly and pissy so I make a point of flying out of Houston. Much better overall experience: those good old Midwestern values! I gave up on ua to Asia 15 years ago until forced to take flight to Seoul last spring... Think the same nasty old bag served me as did 15 years ago. It was horrible....food mid flight sandwich that must have cone from 7/11, all served in a rush with a scowl. . Human relations training never hurt anyone starting out or as a refresher course
Tend to agree, it may be my fondness for the "Southern Touch", but CO as IAH based is much different than CO as EWR based. Y'all can right guess my preference.

Safe Travels

Last edited by GTITAN; Feb 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Tend to agree, it may be might fondness for the "Southern Touch", but CO as IAH based is much different than CO as EWR based. Y'all right can right guess my preference.

Safe Travels
And I like NRT based the best.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
( I could see stars on print out)
Can someone explain this in more detail?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I'll post my latest experience here as it fits, but it could be filed under a couple of more topics. Sunday night on UA 872.
NYC based crew
The purser named Gustavo:
1. Pre departure drink: only offered luke warm water not even juice. Request for a diet coke was ignored
2. Meal order, took by row. They had 3 salads all gone in first row. Full fare Italian couple in 2nd row ( I could see stars on print out) wasn't even offered choice. He saw my 4 stars and just said "I am sure you are ok with wrap". I said not really, he asked nothing or wrap
3. Right after the double chime before landing, he makes the electronic device announcement then sits down, takes out his iPhone and types on it right until after touchdown.
That is appalling. I hope you also write into GS about this guy's behavior.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by flyer215
I would have been calling UA as soon as I deplaned.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I would have been calling UA as soon as I deplaned.
Yup. If we accept poor service enough it becomes the norm. WE are the ones setting the "standard". This stuff has to be reported.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: United 1.9MM
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
How did it get like this? Where is the sense of elegance within US carriers?
Maybe we need to look in the mirror. Go to the Elites Behaving Badly thread to see how we're congratulating ourselves for dressing like slobs
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flyer215
Did so before even posting here. No response to date.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Wow....surprised with some of the comments. I do believe in what goes around comes around as well as treat people the way you would like to be treated. With that being said, with over 100EQS and 350K EQM this year, i have had no bad service. I have had good service and great service. I treat them well and they treat me great. Don't get me wrong,I have had some bad service in the past,but This has been a good yaer for service. They are still human like you and I. We sometimes have good days and sometimes not so good.We all wake up on the wrong side of bed somedays,some more than others.Getting great service from people that have taken a few pay cuts,benefit cuts and have seen their pension disappear is not only something I appreciate but something I admire.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I mostly agree with you, I think service has been pretty good on every flight over the last year with the only exception a couple NRT-USAs HOWEVER:

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
i have had no bad service. I have had good service and great service.
I don't think your experience on UA flights is ever going to be any measure of normal. If Obama turned up on your flight, he would probably be served second.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:26 pm

I felt the mainline US crews were really bad some years ago. It seems to me they have improved substantially, and the international crews have gotten worse. Although it's rather hit or miss - I just had a good (but not great) London-based crew. Intra-Asia is also usually good, although I feel some deterioration from a few years ago. Four years ago, I wrote in to compliment an intra-Asia crew, at a time I was practically at war with the mainline US part of United. Some of the regionals (I used to fly on various subsidiaries of Republic quite a lot) struck me as quite good; if I could get a Republic Embraer 170 on a route, I would choose that over mainline every time.

Someone said for every bad attendant, there are a whole bunch who are better. This is probably true, but it only takes one who is still angry about not getting the Gitmo guard job to ruin a trip.

For the people who feel the crews are nasty because the passengers are nasty, any theories on why I am so reliably nastier on some airlines than on others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.