Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Elites behaving badly - United Club Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, *Gold, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, IC Plat Ambassador, Delta Skymiles

There is something about the lounge that brings out some really nasty behavior in our mostly genteel group of elite members. Is it the wood paneling? The free muffins? Or the general sense of superiority that comes with entering frosted-glass doors? Whatever it is, let's learn from their mistakes and not be that jackass that we all talk about in forums.

Story #1:
I was sitting across the United Club in Terminal 7 at LAX today at 4:30am patiently waiting for the club to open at 5:00am, where it's posted clearly in front of the club. Along comes 2 guys at 4:40am walking towards the door and guffaw like frat boys when the door doesn't open. Then, they peep into the glass doors and rap the glass. When that doesn't work, they go to buzz the bell, long ones. You know, like how the delivery guy buzzes when you don't get to the door fast enough? They alternate between door rapping and buzzing. Then, when all else fails, they actually YANK THE GLASS DOORS OPEN and charge in. I was hit with the Bystander Effect, doing nothing and just watching in horror across the hall. But then a minute later, I felt a delightful sense of schadenfreud when the agent promptly kicked the 2 guys out and made them wait outside in shame until the club opened

Moral of the story: Always read the club hours posted in front of the club

Story #2:
Shortly after I entered the club at 5:00am, a return to the attendant for a wi-fi card. The attendant is talking to a tall, broard, sweatered, nordic looking guy with a deep, scary voice and intimidating accent. "So flying 100,000 miles a year means nothing anymore?!??!" "Sir, you're flying domestic which doesn't allow for *A lounge privileges" "100,000 miles! It means nothing apparently. This is ridiculous! 100,000!!" Buddy, we get it, you flew 100K miles. But still no dice. Read the rules.

Moral of the story: Read the rules of the lounge. Or join flyertalk. That'll put your 100,000 miles a year in check

Please share your stories of how your fellow elites behave badly!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

the UC at LAX seems to be a magnet for people trying to bluff/intimidate their way into the club, because I seem to witness that behavior almost every visit.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:22 am
axl

Originally Posted by blu816305
There is something about the lounge that brings out some really nasty behavior in our mostly genteel group of elite members.
Maybe some think the 'elite' label applies to more than just status within the MP program? Believe it or not I know very polite and cordial folks who haven't even flown a single mile
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
the UC at LAX seems to be a magnet for people trying to bluff/intimidate their way into the club, because I seem to witness that behavior almost every visit.
So true.

Very annoying as I often have just 10 minutes to spare, and these yahoos waste my time while I have to wait for the drama to play out.

Suggestion: have a separate line for UC members.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
There is something about the lounge that brings out some really nasty behavior in our mostly genteel group of elite members. Is it the wood paneling? The free muffins? Or the general sense of superiority that comes with entering frosted-glass doors? Whatever it is, let's learn from their mistakes and not be that jackass that we all talk about in forums.

Story #1:
I was sitting across the United Club in Terminal 7 at LAX today at 4:30am patiently waiting for the club to open at 5:00am, where it's posted clearly in front of the club. Along comes 2 guys at 4:40am walking towards the door and guffaw like frat boys when the door doesn't open. Then, they peep into the glass doors and rap the glass. When that doesn't work, they go to buzz the bell, long ones. You know, like how the delivery guy buzzes when you don't get to the door fast enough? They alternate between door rapping and buzzing. Then, when all else fails, they actually YANK THE GLASS DOORS OPEN and charge in. I was hit with the Bystander Effect, doing nothing and just watching in horror across the hall. But then a minute later, I felt a delightful sense of schadenfreud when the agent promptly kicked the 2 guys out and made them wait outside in shame until the club opened

Moral of the story: Always read the club hours posted in front of the club

Story #2:
Shortly after I entered the club at 5:00am, a return to the attendant for a wi-fi card. The attendant is talking to a tall, broard, sweatered, nordic looking guy with a deep, scary voice and intimidating accent. "So flying 100,000 miles a year means nothing anymore?!??!" "Sir, you're flying domestic which doesn't allow for *A lounge privileges" "100,000 miles! It means nothing apparently. This is ridiculous! 100,000!!" Buddy, we get it, you flew 100K miles. But still no dice. Read the rules.

Moral of the story: Read the rules of the lounge. Or join flyertalk. That'll put your 100,000 miles a year in check

Please share your stories of how your fellow elites behave badly!
in the first case, those guys should have their memberships suspended for a month or so, the agent could take down their membership info when they attempt to check in, let them in anyways, but forward their behavior to corporate with a suggestion of a short term suspension or something.

In the 100K mile case, UA could do better in communicating the lounge rules. The question is, why are GS members not given complimentary memberships? Furthermore, full fare domestic F pax (F,A,XF only) should receive lounge access with their tickets! If someone is willing to actually pay for F fares, they outta get lounge access thrown in with the ticket!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
I think this is an ongoing problem by a small segment of elite flyers that have hugely inflated sense of entitlement. I see similar bad behavior when upgrades don't clear or during boarding.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
I think this is an ongoing problem by a small segment of elite flyers that have hugely inflated sense of entitlement. I see similar bad behavior when upgrades don't clear or during boarding.
I always get really amused when I see the DYKWIA types: for some strange reason they seem to believe that acting that way will get them somewhere.

Come on, you're not the only GS/1K around, you know. And just because you're one doesn't mean you have to be an ... about it!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
I always get really amused when I see the DYKWIA types: for some strange reason they seem to believe that acting that way will get them somewhere.

Come on, you're not the only GS/1K around, you know. And just because you're one doesn't mean you have to be an ... about it!
^ As I told one person who acted like this towards a CSA a couple of months ago, "Who the [blank] do you think you are?"
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Back in August, I was at ORD about to walk into the UC club near my gate. When a guy just walked out of the UC all mad and was cussing in Greek. I thought nothing of it, that is when I walked in and saw a tipped over flower plant. The agent looked at me and started to apologize. I told her it's okay and if she needed help. She said no, but told me what happened when she was checking me in. She tells me that the guy who walked out, was very mad because he was flying in F to some domestic place and was very mad that he couldn't get in. Started to throw a hissy fit, throw the plant, and looked at the gate agent and said, "You going to call the cops?" And that's when he stormed out. Silver lining of this story, the agent let me in for free since I listened to her vent.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frubio2012
Back in August, I was at ORD about to walk into the UC club near my gate. When a guy just walked out of the UC all mad and was cussing in Greek. I thought nothing of it, that is when I walked in and saw a tipped over flower plant. The agent looked at me and started to apologize. I told her it's okay and if she needed help. She said no, but told me what happened when she was checking me in. She tells me that the guy who walked out, was very mad because he was flying in F to some domestic place and was very mad that he couldn't get in. Started to throw a hissy fit, throw the plant, and looked at the gate agent and said, "You going to call the cops?" And that's when he stormed out. Silver lining of this story, the agent let me in for free since I listened to her vent.
I once stood behind a very irate customer who giving a LAX CSR a huge amount of grief because he couldn't get her to where SHE needed to be RIGHT AWAY. When I got up to the desk, I complimented him on his tact and diplomacy in handling his previous customer. I was very contrite, because I was asking him if there was any room to standby on an earlier flight back home. After a few more pleasantries, he handed me a confirmed seat in E+ on the next flight out.

Being nice does have its rewards.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by frubio2012
Started to throw a hissy fit, throw the plant, and looked at the gate agent and said, "You going to call the cops?" And that's when he stormed out.
Wow, for someone like that she should have.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Or join flyertalk. That'll put your 100,000 miles a year in check
yeah, who doesn't fly the equivalent of four times around the world. The nerve of some people
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:04 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Then there are times like this...

I'm sitting in the United Club[tm] in EWR this evening. I am sitting in the carrels to get some work done. For the past hour+ there is a member of the serving staff who has been speaking in a high-pitched voice in Spanish clearly wanting to complain to the other staff member next to her. Out in the open by the food, but loud enough that it travels back into the multiple rows of carrels...!

Strange.

No, I don't feel entitled, but quiet is one of the reasons I pay for access to the Club...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:08 pm

Based on title of the thread, was hoping there might be a DVD one could order to see all this play out.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Based on title of the thread, was hoping there might be a DVD one could order to see all this play out.
I can see the ad now. DYKWIA Gone Wild! If you purchase now, you'll get Gate Lice for free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.