Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Premier Gold Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
Don't forget access to US customer service agents. With all the schedule changes and IRROPs, an American agent is a huge benefit.
On my way to Gold at the end of the month, and I think that the value of the free SDC is something that's being overlooked. I would have saved a lot of money over the last few months if I were not paying $75 every time a schedule change came up unexpectedly. Even if you don't have frequent schedule changes its nice to have the flexibility without having to pay. This actually would have saved me a call last night during IRROPs as well (though the Premier line agent took care of the change sans fee).
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

@wcalvert: enjoy seeing your family with the gold status as a free benefit!
The advantage of UAL's changes is that 1Ks get more bang for their $$. Apparently United has figured out too many flyers have some sort of status and earn too many miles. In the long run everybody will be happier if we can actually use the miles in our accounts.

I will be grilled for posting this.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
Originally Posted by bwg03
So it saves a lot of time? I am unfamiliar as I have only done it on silver and had to wait in lines.. Terrible.
Even as Silver what I would do is hop in line and call the number on the back of my MP card. The phone agent would rebook me and I would jump out of line, walk up to the automated kiosk and grab a new ticket.

Both times this year it was on Hawaii flights where UA was rebooking through lax and I jumped on the next direct.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Gold saves me more than $350/year in same day changes compared to Silver.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
Even as Silver what I would do is hop in line and call the number on the back of my MP card. The phone agent would rebook me and I would jump out of line, walk up to the automated kiosk and grab a new ticket.

Both times this year it was on Hawaii flights where UA was rebooking through lax and I jumped on the next direct.
This.

Not to mention you should have less time wasted waiting on the phone, as your status bumps others.

Then again, one does feel bad when you go on standby, and bypass the list when BPs print out, much to my (and the agent's) surprise. But it was a really good feeling.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Gold saves me more than $350/year in same day changes compared to Silver.
+1

Also:

*3 free bags (useful when traveling with others not on your same PNR -- happens occasionally for me)
*slightly better upgrade access, i have been the last one upgraded on some flights mid-tier cities to hubs (ie, BDL-ORD)
*slightly better premier treatment (IME relative to sliver pre 3/3, certainly YMMV)
*free E+ at booking (huge for me as most of my flights are tcons)
*star alliance gold status (very useful when traveling internationally or domestically via IAD with LH lounge)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
Wait a second.. Let me get this straight.

If I want to change my flight same day I can at no charge being gold?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Gold vs Silver is 25% in RDM bonus.

So even if you fly just 25,000 next year - that is 6250 miles - a value of $135 in itself. If you plan to fly >50,000 miles next year - that is $250 in RDM value alone given up on top of all the other perks.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL

Yes, provided the same fare class is available on the flight that you’re attempting to change to.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by XLR26
Yes, provided the same fare class is available on the flight that you’re attempting to change to.

That is excellent. I had no idea.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Gold is definitely worth it. Best thing they have is no change fees for standby or same day travel, along with Star Gold lounges and lower fees in everything. I just crossed Gold, but not going for Plat and it requires too many mileage runs. Plus all these benefits are good only if you travel a lot next year.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

That is excellent. I had no idea.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Tried to do from SAN in February, but never got any flights with required fare class.

Yesterday I was able to move up my ORD-DFW flight by several hours, because it looked like rain all day and didn't feel like sightseeing in that kind of weather.

Originally Posted by hyho61
Gold is definitely worth it. Best thing they have is no change fees for standby or same day travel, along with Star Gold lounges and lower fees in everything. I just crossed Gold, but not going for Plat and it requires too many mileage runs. Plus all these benefits are good only if you travel a lot next year.
I would agree, Silver just isn't that valuable. I don't check luggage, but travel to Asia or Europe 2 to 3 times a year, plus Central America or Canada a couple of times a year, and love the lounge access And I already mentioned SDC.

EmailKid
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by XLR26

even if the same fare class isn't avaiable you can SDC for no change fee onto a higher fare class which often is less than the $75 change fee would be to do it within fare class as a silver -- i did this recently FLL-IAH-SFO and even though G wasn't availalble i changed to a K for $55 and streched my vacation by about 12 hours. fairly decent ROI, IMO.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have been booking my business travel into V or W to maximize my flexibility on SDC. For the BWI-ORD or DCA-ORD flights there is almost always flexibility at that fare.

Advanced search for fare class is my friend for that move.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I agree Gold is definitely worth it due to all of benefits other folks cited. My only complaint is the upgrade chance is almost 0 these days (same as Silver). I flew two domestic round trips out of SFO last week and on every flight I was somewhere like 30 out of 60 people on the wait list. Depressing (as a former GS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.