Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Certain Lufthansa Fares (LH) earning only 50% or no EQM/RDM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certain Lufthansa Fares (LH) earning only 50% or no EQM/RDM?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by wco81
The page on united.com indicates that Discount Economy within Europe on T and L class fares earn no Base or Premier Qualifying Miles.

But a flight search turns up a W class fare for UA9200, FRA-NCE, in August. The chart shows W-class fares get 100% base and Premier Qualifying Miles.

So which part of the chart is correct?
Both of them are.

I'm confused, where is the contradiction? W-fares get 100%, T/L get 0% (at least within Europe). Seems fairly straightforward...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:02 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Confusing indeed.

Sort of diminishes the advantage of booking flights on Star Alliance carriers if one has to look closely at the fare class that actually is booked for each segment.

A goal of Star Alliance membership should be consistency across the different carriers.

My wife flies frequently to India, and was surprised the first time she was only credited for 50% of the miles between FRA and BLR.

Similarly, I was disappointed when I got zero miles credited for my very fine economy Air NZ flight in February.

Anyone know why these 0% and 50% limited credits even exist?

As for advance notice, I do notice on the "My Reservations" screens for each itinerary, there is an indication of how many award miles will be credited for each segment. Alas, this is AFTER you have booked your flight.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
I recently flew UA and LH on connecting segments to Mumbai (IAH-FRA and FRA-BOM). That was 3/17 and 3/18. The UA website clearly lists the rules under which they will credit flights on UA:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...ED15015848087B

So they will not give credit for discount economy (Class L) flights only in Europe. And for discount economy flights out of Europe, you need a connecting international segment (which I had.) So.....Why won't UA give me credit for this flight?

(Yes, I have submitted the web form, and yes, I have also called the service center. No results after several attempts, only a run-around, and no delays.)

Is UA confused? Do they think that Mumbai, India, is part of Europe? (I may be an ignorant American, and a product of the U.S. public education system, but even I know that India is part of Asia, not Europe.) I can only presume that UA's systems can tell the difference between flights to Asia, and flights to Europe....or am I giving them to much credit?

That's roughly 4,000 PQMs that I will have to flush....really frustrating. And I am very close to Star Alliance Gold, which makes the situation doubly aggravating.
UA finally coughed up the credit for my FRA-BOM flight - from 29 days ago.

I guess I should be thankful! That's 5,000 EQMs that I really need!

I feel like Kevin Bacon, from the Animal House movie: "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"

I can't find the Youtube clip of that seen. I will post it, once I have it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP
Thumbs up

^couldn't agree more. Stars are misaligned. Buyer Beware.

Originally Posted by mmihalik
Confusing indeed.

Sort of diminishes the advantage of booking flights on Star Alliance carriers if one has to look closely at the fare class that actually is booked for each segment.

A goal of Star Alliance membership should be consistency across the different carriers.

My wife flies frequently to India, and was surprised the first time she was only credited for 50% of the miles between FRA and BLR.

Similarly, I was disappointed when I got zero miles credited for my very fine economy Air NZ flight in February.

Anyone know why these 0% and 50% limited credits even exist?

As for advance notice, I do notice on the "My Reservations" screens for each itinerary, there is an indication of how many award miles will be credited for each segment. Alas, this is AFTER you have booked your flight.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by joel67
How about other partners? My favorite example is SA, where the chart indicates 50% PQMs on W fares and 150% on K fares. Anyone with recent experience?
My worst recent experience was on bmi, where for some reason U fares aren't shown on the chart at all. This despite bmi U fares (domestic UK) being fairly expensive fares that are credited 100% to all other Star Alliance programs I checked (ANA, LH, US, Air Canada, pre-merger UA).

I called MP, but they insisted (after speaking with supervisor, supposedly) that the 0 mileage credit was correct.

Indeed, when I try to book a ticket in the future, there are cases where at different times I can book V or U on bmi. The U fare is more expensive, but shows up as 0 mileage credit, whereas the cheaper V fare earns 100%.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:12 am

same problem

having same problem - have only 9000 some miles for a w fare from IAH-FRA-BLR and back, hopefully will get fixed soon!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Azurik
This is my first flight post-SHARES integration. My flight from Boston to Munich just showed up on my Mileage Plus account as having earned only 1,927 miles, whereas I was expecting the usual 3,855 miles. This calculates to 50% earnings even though the website shows 100% EQM/RDM for international flights.

Anyone else having this issue? Was there a statement during the "refresh" that this issue will be fixed?
Well, something happened during the "miles refresh" this past weekend as my T fare flights are now all credited for 100% EQM/RDM + 50% bonus for Gold Elite!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
And I eligible for RDQ / PQM on this LH flight?

I had a flight from

BUF -> PHI US (L/K Fare)
PHI -> FRA LH (L Fare)
FRA -> FLR LH (L Fare) (lufthansa cityline)

this was booked before march 3rd and the flight happened march 9th

the old CO.com had L fares @ 50%, but now it says 100% with a int'l connection (very vague -.-). Am I eligible for any RDM/PQM? I still have my stub and I wasn't credited anything.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by vindicate
I had a flight from

BUF -> PHI US (L/K Fare)
PHI -> FRA LH (L Fare)
FRA -> FLR LH (L Fare) (lufthansa cityline)

this was booked before march 3rd and the flight happened march 9th

the old CO.com had L fares @ 50%, but now it says 100% with a int'l connection (very vague -.-). Am I eligible for any RDM/PQM? I still have my stub and I wasn't credited anything.
According to the UA website, yes you should get these miles.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
No resolution yet

Still 50% for me!

3/23/2012 Lufthansa 576S
Frankfurt-Cape Town S / S 2907 1,453 4360 2,907 0

Sent 2 e-mails and got a canned response back that all will be well within 7 days... let's see what happens, I might have to give a call in when I get back to the mainland from Guam.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
In the past at PMUA, earnings were based on the operating carriers program, weren't they? LH gives 50% miles for K fares.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Mileage Earning on LH (K fare)

Preface: My initial research is telling me my friends will earn 0 miles, but hopefully I can be proven wrong here....

I have a family friend who is looking to take ~10 days in JNB. The son (about 10 y/o) loves flying so I've been working on some fun routings without bumping the fare too high. This is what I came up with:

SEA-IAH-EWR-FRA-JNB (this gets him on a few domestic legs and on the A380, which he'll love) - FRA-SEA (since they'll be tired and just want to get home after the trip).

With the exception of JNB-FRA-SEA (which are in the T bucket), all flights are booking into K. The total is about $1,400 (which isn't so cheap), but within their range. That said, K isn't listed on .bomb as an eligible bucket.

What is the truth my UA friends?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
No miles sorry
K fare no longer accrue miles on UA, only 50% on LH Miles and More
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by sidestep
As i read the mileage accrual rules, and based on everyone's feedback above, I just want to be doubly clear, that T fare FRA-BEY, will earn both EQMs and RDMS correct?

Thank you for the confirmation.
Flew the first leg on 4.21 no credit.
Anyone have a different experience?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
i have had no success trying to recover 50% of S fare flights ewr-dus/fra-ewr, as well as a connecting intra-europe L flight...
Several calls were answered with "we resubmitted - wait". Then an email was replied by Service Director:
"The totals that were earned on your account for your Lufthansa flights from ticket xxx(February 24, 2012-March 2, 2012) were the correct award miles and correct Premier Qualifying Miles at the time of these flights. "

Then another agent on the phone said she had a print-out of old earning table and I am not eligible....
I didnt save a pre3/3 table, and all I have is my memory that when I bought the ticket I checked to insure that credit to MP earns 100%... as opposed to credit to OP...
I also found webarchive page of old UA table, but its from 2010.

At this point I have faxed all the evidence, as well as sent it as PDF to Smisek, will also mail it when I get a chance...

Anyone has the earning table close to pre3/3 saved that they can share?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.