Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Certain Lufthansa Fares (LH) earning only 50% or no EQM/RDM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certain Lufthansa Fares (LH) earning only 50% or no EQM/RDM?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thank you both for your quick and useful response.

To summarize I will get full miles on the United metal flights and all Economy T leg flights. I will try to upgrade the fare class for the K class ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:49 am

Booking classes needed to earn full M+ miles on Lufthansa

I will be flying to Berlin and would like to ensure that I get miles for the long trans-Atlantic flight. I know Luftansa is partnered with United, but do you earn full Mileage Plus Miles when flying on Luftansa? If you do, is there a certain class ticket that needs to be purchased to earn full miles?

Thanks!

Last edited by BostonBound; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BostonBound
I will be flying to Berlin and would like to ensure that I get miles for the long trans-Atlantic flight. I know Luftansa is partnered with United, but do you earn full Mileage Plus Miles when flying on Luftansa? If you do, is there a certain class ticket that needs to be purchased to earn full miles?

Thanks!
Yes all the paid fare classes L and above (excepting specialty or bulk tickets) will earn at 100% (or higher) on the transatlantic segment. So don't buy an N or K fare (or a consolidator ticket). See LH accrual chart: Airline Partner Details.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 23, 2014 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Gold
Be careful, K class earns zero miles.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by benmacd
Be careful, K class earns zero miles.
Whoops, thank you, I will amend my post.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Welcome to Flyertalk, BostonBound!

And, as others have said, definitely check the fare class. Also, if you're flying BOS-TXL, you could possibly do BOS-EWR-TXL on UA rather than BOS-FRA-TXL on LH. I'd only recommend considering that, though, if you're tall and eligible for Economy Plus on United.

Otherwise, a FRA routing is better, because:
(i) EWR gets hit by bad delays
(ii) Clearing US customs in EWR when you have a connecting flight on your return would mean you'd need a long layover.

Last edited by endrond; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Do you have status with United or LH? If you're star alliance gold, the stopover in Frankfurt is totally doable. The Senator lounge is quite nice IMO.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
BostonBound, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I edited the thread title to clarify your question.

For a thorough and lengthy thread on Lufthansa booking classes earning United MileagePlus miles, and at what rate -- and type of miles -- you might wish to consult this FlyerTalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...qm-rdm-32.html

/Moderator.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:13 am

I have a question that is similar to the original question but with slight differences.

I bought a ticket on united.com that is operated by Lufthansa in K booking class. It has a 016 ticket number, but its not a codeshare. Am I correct to assume that miles will not be earned on this ticket?

Also, a leg on the flight is "operated by Deutsche Bahn". Assuming that this leg is not in K class (and one of the mileage earning classes), do you net any miles or segments for this?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Deutsche Bahn is German railways
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kenying
I bought a ticket on united.com that is operated by Lufthansa in K booking class. It has a 016 ticket number, but its not a codeshare. Am I correct to assume that miles will not be earned on this ticket?
No
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I was really surprised to see on a completely intra european ticket posting miles from a T LH class to my united account....
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all - can someone confirm my earning level in this situation - USA-Europe, likely to be booked via LH.com on LH metal/stock, in T bucket. Crediting to MP. LH rules say that this earns 25% of flight miles. MP rules page says T intercontinental flights will earn 100%, and makes no distinction between flight booked on UA or on LH ticket stock. Will I earn 25% or 100%? Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When crediting to UA MP, MP rules apply. M&M earnings are irrelevant.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
K-Class on UA Codeshare (LH operated) - Mileage Earning?

My questions:
Does K-Class on UA-operated flights on UA-ticket stock earn MileagePlus miles?
Does K-Class on an UA-codeshare flight (e.g. UA8718 SEA-FRA, operated by LH) on UA-ticket stock earn MileagePlus miles?

K-Class on LH-operated normally does not earn miles.

Lets assume those flights are taken before March 2015.

Thanks for your answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.