Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How good is Silver?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 12:29 pm

united premier silver

silver flyer, disappointed don't automatically get econ plus seating anymore; anyhow, if i pay extra for econ plus seat but one is available at check-in, is there any reimbursement or jsut stuck paying it?
Old May 14, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by mike hanback
silver flyer, disappointed don't automatically get econ plus seating anymore; anyhow, if i pay extra for econ plus seat but one is available at check-in, is there any reimbursement or jsut stuck paying it?
Welcome to FT! Below is a link to the United specific forum for everything you want to know about United. One of the mods will move this post over there. I am not 100% certain but this may be just one of the benefits you lost with the new "enhanced benefits" United (or should I say CO) has rolled out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated-681/

Last edited by millere2; May 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Old May 14, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
You pay for advanced seat assignments. No reimbursement later. As most elites get moved up anyways within 24 hours, I recommend waiting and checking back frequently for changed availability. As Premier Platinum, I'm usually gate upgraded from my exit row seats....

Jiburi
Old May 14, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL
Once you've paid for it - it's yours. No refunds.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:16 pm

Mileage Plus Premier Silver

A few quick questions about the Premier Silver.

I have been offered a challenge of 10,000 miles in 90 days. If I do that would I have Premier silver thru 2013?

Also, I am flying businessfirst Dublin to Vancouver and I get 3 bags (afaik) would I get another bag for being Premier Silver?

Am I eligible to be upgraded on all cash fare classes for economy up to business. I know actually getting the upgrade would be difficult. I have economy T ticket from Vancouver to Chicago for example.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
A few quick questions about the Premier Silver.

I have been offered a challenge of 10,000 miles in 90 days. If I do that would I have Premier silver thru 2013?

Also, I am flying businessfirst Dublin to Vancouver and I get 3 bags (afaik) would I get another bag for being Premier Silver?

Am I eligible to be upgraded on all cash fare classes for economy up to business. I know actually getting the upgrade would be difficult. I have economy T ticket from Vancouver to Chicago for example.
Your challenge status will probably only last through Jan 2013... you would have to earn 25,000 PQM's this year in order to extend that to Jan 2014. Check with UA on that though..sometimes when you get challenge status in the later half of the year they will extend it further.

You won't get any more bags for being silver when flying in BizFirst.. you get the highest allowance available to you..they aren't added together.

Yes on complimentary premier upgrade eligible flights which are generally flights in North, Central, and Northern South America plus the Caribbean and Hawaii you are eligible to be upgraded on any published fare. Vancouver to Chicago qualifies.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:13 pm

Note that silvers get one bag - and when you're going to Europe, everyone in Economy gets one free bag, so being silver doesn't net you anything in these instances.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Note that silvers get one bag - and when you're going to Europe, everyone in Economy gets one free bag, so being silver doesn't net you anything in these instances.
Ok thanks. Just trying to decide if it's worth doing it or not.

My reservation is DUB -> YVR then YVR > MCO then MCO -> DUB. Will I have to pay for bags as a no-status member going from YVR to MCO even though it's part of an international trip?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:33 pm

Ok thanks. Just trying to decide if it's worth doing it or not.

My reservation is DUB -> YVR then YVR > MCO then MCO -> DUB. Will I have to pay for bags as a no-status member going from YVR to MCO even though it's part of an international trip?
That might get into the latest ICAO (I think that's the appropriate organization) rulings on what baggage allowance applies when.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
I assume are in Y from YVR to MCO, and that prior to that flight, you will be in YVR for more than 24 hours, making it a stop over (not a lay over). You should get one checked bag, either by virtue of flying internationally, or for any silver benefits you might have during the challenge.

I think until the end of the month, their are offers that will let you get the United Club card with the first year free. You have to play some games to get the first year free, but if you have trouble finding the links from the other posts, you can PM.

With this credit card, you get TWO bags free, as well as some other perks. When flying United Metal, you get benefits that are roughly about what you would get as a Gold status. Somethings are better, some things are not as good, but the two bags free is a nice baseline for any United metal flights. You also get a full United Club lounge membership, which should get you into any *A business class lounge (even for domestic flights).
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dhelman
I assume are in Y from YVR to MCO, and that prior to that flight, you will be in YVR for more than 24 hours, making it a stop over (not a lay over). You should get one checked bag, either by virtue of flying internationally, or for any silver benefits you might have during the challenge.

I think until the end of the month, their are offers that will let you get the United Club card with the first year free. You have to play some games to get the first year free, but if you have trouble finding the links from the other posts, you can PM.

With this credit card, you get TWO bags free, as well as some other perks. When flying United Metal, you get benefits that are roughly about what you would get as a Gold status. Somethings are better, some things are not as good, but the two bags free is a nice baseline for any United metal flights. You also get a full United Club lounge membership, which should get you into any *A business class lounge (even for domestic flights).

I'm flying BusinessFirst on the routing so I think I get 3 bags to YVR then 2 down to MCO? My friends are in Y so will they get 1 bag free with no status?

I really wish I was eligible for the credit card, would have gotten it along time ago but Im an Irish resident so can't apply.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Usually you can only challenge once every several years, and I think with UA it's 5 years. Silver doesn't offer that great of perks to blow a once in 5 years challenge on. If you think you could make it without the challenge, I'd just do that. And since you are already flying Biz/First on the big upcoming trip, the benefits don't really do anything for you other than a 25% redeemable mileage boost.

How much do you fly, and how much will you be flying next year and the years following? If it's not much, then the challenge is probably worth it. If you'll be flying a fair amount this year and the upcoming years, then just get status on your own, imo. If your flying is going to increase, you could save the challenge for a higher level bump like Gold or Platinum.

The way the challenge is set up and advertised on the UA site, assuming this is what you would be doing, is that if you do the challenge after July 1, then benefits will be good for the rest of this year through Jan 2014.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=TB8230
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
Usually you can only challenge once every several years, and I think with UA it's 5 years. Silver doesn't offer that great of perks to blow a once in 5 years challenge on. If you think you could make it without the challenge, I'd just do that. And since you are already flying Biz/First on the big upcoming trip, the benefits don't really do anything for you other than a 25% redeemable mileage boost.

How much do you fly, and how much will you be flying next year and the years following? If it's not much, then the challenge is probably worth it. If you'll be flying a fair amount this year and the upcoming years, then just get status on your own, imo. If your flying is going to increase, you could save the challenge for a higher level bump like Gold or Platinum.

The way the challenge is set up and advertised on the UA site, assuming this is what you would be doing, is that if you do the challenge after July 1, then benefits will be good for the rest of this year through Jan 2014.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=TB8230
I'm 19 from Ireland so my travelling on United is quite limited.

At the moment I have the following booked.

YVR-ORD-LHR-DUB in Economy
DUB-IAD-MCI-DEN-YVR in BusinessFirst (reward booking)
YVR-DEN-MCO in Business/First (reward booking)
MCO-IAD-DEN-ICT in Economy
ICT-DEN-IAD-MCO in Economy
MCO-IAD-DUB in Economy (reward booking)

More than likely will have another DUB-MCO return next February and again in August so the Silver would be handy.

Do the free bags/upgrades/economy+ work on reward bookings too?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'm 19 from Ireland so my travelling on United is quite limited.

At the moment I have the following booked.

YVR-ORD-LHR-DUB in Economy
DUB-IAD-MCI-DEN-YVR in BusinessFirst (reward booking)
YVR-DEN-MCO in Business/First (reward booking)
MCO-IAD-DEN-ICT in Economy
ICT-DEN-IAD-MCO in Economy
MCO-IAD-DUB in Economy (reward booking)

More than likely will have another DUB-MCO return next February and again in August so the Silver would be handy.

Do the free bags/upgrades/economy+ work on reward bookings too?
Didn't realize that the BusinessFirst travel was an award. Realize that that will not count towards your challenge for miles flown. Your other flights will get you there as long as they are within the 90 day window. I'd say go for the challenge as long as you will make the 10k miles on paid trips within 90 days. The E+ seats at check in, priority check in, priority security, and free checked bags are all nice perks. Doesn't seem like you'd be needing to do the challenge down the road, so it's not like you are wasting it.

The Silver benefits will extend to your award booking, however in order to be eligible for a complimentary upgrade you will need to have one of the MileagePlus co-branded credit cards. You are not eligible for the complimentary upgrades on flights to Europe. You could always upgrade with miles and pay the co-pay.

Silver will get you priority check in and security lines in the U.S., but not internationally. You should still get your 1 free checked bag internationally, but you'd get this even without status.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
How good is Silver?

Better than a sick in the eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.