Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking B Fare Class to Avoid Upgrade Award Copay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to score a Polaris biz class seat TATL. Award seats are too expensive miles wise (145k miles each way). Miles + Copay is astronomical (T or L class = 20k miles + $550 co-pay each way, on top of the base econ/prem econ ticket cash price).

Instead, as a non-elite, If I buy a cash ticket in B fare class, can I avoid the upgrade copay (but pay 20k miles each way) and instantly upgrade from the economy into business at booking? Or Is this done manually by customer service after ticketing? Or is this only done closer to departure? Or can I not do this as a non-elite?

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:22 am

Try booking premium economy (O,A,R)
That would have priority over a B fare
VRFast likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Only if PZ is open will you be able to upgrade instantly. Which fare class you book into wouldn’t matter.
moondog and zombietooth like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by nd2010
Try booking premium economy (O,A,R)
That would have priority over a B fare
Also on an O fare (highest Premium Economy fare) requires no copay when applying a MUA to Polaris. If you're in PE you will be on the waitlist ahead of anyone in regular economy (except GS).
However, an "instant upgrade" at booking would require a PZ fare available like sannmann said.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chillin2345
I'm trying to score a Polaris biz class seat TATL. Award seats are too expensive miles wise (145k miles each way). Miles + Copay is astronomical (T or L class = 20k miles + $550 co-pay each way, on top of the base econ/prem econ ticket cash price).

Instead, as a non-elite, If I buy a cash ticket in B fare class, can I avoid the upgrade copay (but pay 20k miles each way) and instantly upgrade from the economy into business at booking? Or Is this done manually by customer service after ticketing? Or is this only done closer to departure? Or can I not do this as a non-elite?

Thanks.
Have you priced out the B fares? In most cases, they're considerable more expensive than the discount L/T fares plus the copay… and in the (quite likely) event that your upgrade doesn't clear, copays get refunded but a voluntary higher fare purchase does not.

There is no meaningful additional upgrade priority on the B fare compared to the L fare. As others have stated, if PZ is available, your upgrade would clear immediately, whether you purchase the B or L/T fares. And if PZ is not available, your upgrade will be waitlisted, whether you purchase the B or L/T fares.

Originally Posted by VRFast
Also on an O fare (highest Premium Economy fare) requires no copay when applying a MUA to Polaris. If you're in PE you will be on the waitlist ahead of anyone in regular economy (except GS).
However, an "instant upgrade" at booking would require a PZ fare available like sannmann said.
The O fare is even more expensive than the B fare and also likely to be much more than the discount PE fares plus copay. Also, PE isn't offered in every market.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you don’t get the upgrade, the extra money spent on a B fare is guaranteed wasted. If you apply miles/co-pay and do not get the upgrade, you get those back. As mentioned above, B fares can be considerably more expensively be than fares below it - sometimes more than the co-pay amount.

Depending on time and route, a non-status (or lower status person) paying a higher fare for a better chance at an upgrade is throwing money out the window. If you post your route and travel date, you might get guesses at your chances.

UA could be a bit more truthful and say upfront that upgrades to Polaris from coach for non-Premiers is exceedingly rare.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, fastair and 3 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 8, 2023 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The O fare is even more expensive than the B fare and also likely to be much more than the discount PE fares plus copay. Also, PE isn't offered in every market.
I've noticed that P+ to Tokyo sometimes has O only a few hundred more than W. This was for purchases months out though.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've noticed that P+ to Tokyo sometimes has O only a few hundred more than W. This was for purchases months out though.
…and purchase of an O/A/R fare at least guarantees a halfway decent seat if the upgrade request fails.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you sure that wasn't an R? O is typically priced higher than P and sometimes even Z.

I would be much more concerned about clearing the upgrade than paying a co-pay. I wouldn't pay above an R for purposes of upgrade priority or minimizing a co-pay. Focusing on the co-pay vs. the difficulty of clearing the upgrade is IMO focusing on the trees and losing sight of the forest.
moondog, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you sure that wasn't an R? O is typically priced higher than P and sometimes even Z.

I would be much more concerned about clearing the upgrade than paying a co-pay. I wouldn't pay above an R for purposes of upgrade priority or minimizing a co-pay. Focusing on the co-pay vs. the difficulty of clearing the upgrade is IMO focusing on the trees and losing sight of the forest.
Oh yes, I was shocked when I saw it, and I did book O on that itinerary, but my PP UG never cleared. Usually, I am booking R, but as a caveat to others here, at least to Japan, booking P+ and applying PPs is not a sure thing. I've failed on 2 out of 4 itineraries.

I too, would only focus on the UG. No matter what the Co-pay or miles cost, it will be thousands cheaper than J. If you see PZ or I, you should grab it immediately.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Oh yes, I was shocked when I saw it, and I did book O on that itinerary, but my PP UG never cleared. Usually, I am booking R, but as a caveat to others here, at least to Japan, booking P+ and applying PPs is not a sure thing. I've failed on 2 out of 4 itineraries.
I am surprised that P+ fare failed Polaris upgrade. Did you travel on weekends?

In theory, only GS had higher priority.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kb1992

Mid-week to/from NRT. I've noticed that the HND flights are easier to UG.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992

Waitlisted upgrades are always a crapshoot, because not only does UA sell a lot of J seats outright, they also sell a lot of TODs.

This is why you should never upfare just for the purposes of clearing an upgrade.
moondog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is why you should never upfare just for the purposes of clearing an upgrade.
Yeah, if you're going to spend extra money, spend it on a buy-up to J.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Bit of a moot point now that I realized inventory is PZ0 and RN0. But here's what I was looking at. I know B is often times a higher fare, so I was shocked to see B was only $450 ish more than deep discount economy L. That's why I was thinking upfaring this ticket + MUA (mileage only) would make more sense than buying an L ticket + MUA ($450 each way copay + miles) -- Savings of about $450 on the copay going with B. But again, a moot point.

I get that this route is a pretty premium heavy and important route for UA. Am I just too far out in time to even look at award seats/upgrades? Does United tend to release more seats for upgrade/award closer-in? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to redeeming on UA.

Thanks.

B fare pricing

-----

O fare pricing

-----

Upgrade pricing

-----

Award ticket pricing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.