Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I book award ticket for someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I book award ticket for someone else?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, IIRC you can't use miles from different accounts to book award tickets on the same PNR, although phone agents might be able to do this. (Service charge might apply for phone bookings of award tickets.) A phone agent should be able to "link" two PNRs for free, but this doesn't do much.
A good agent can do this and pull the miles from two different accounts onto the same PNR. DId this for an ORD-FRA-IST-BOM-IST-ORD trip earlier this year.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by morokcn
What's the new UA policy on booking award tickets for family members? I was told my account could get suspended if I booked award tickets for anyone other than myself.

I did some google search on flyertalk.com, this is the closest question that i could find:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eone-else.html

Not sure if this is still true on the new UA. I couldn't seem to find an answer on UA's website.
I book award tickets (my miles) for my Mother-In-Law to come visit at least twice a year. And the great thing is that she inherits my status, so there are no bag fees.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does this work in reverse? Say you book an award ticket from a family member's account (to use orphan miles). As a 1K, can I add in my UA number to the reservation to save on bag fees or change the ticket without any fees? Or does the originating mileage account override on bag waivers and change fees on day of travel?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this work in reverse? Say you book an award ticket from a family member's account (to use orphan miles). As a 1K, can I add in my UA number to the reservation to save on bag fees or change the ticket without any fees? Or does the originating mileage account override on bag waivers and change fees on day of travel?
Ooooh, that is a great question and I too would love to know the answer...

Waiting expectantly for the smart people to clarify this one...!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Bags overriden when you put in the 1K number.

But fees are still based on account holder's status.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Technically no -- the MP account redeemed from is tied to the reservation. A few times, my workplace booked me on miles but I couldn't put my 1K (or CO Plat) status/number on top of it (it always reverted back to the original MP/OP #). I ended up doing everything manually (showing that I was a 1K at bag check, security line, ELR/E+ seat fees, etc).

I think it's also to prevent transferring of miles w/o a fee -- I guess you could be a GM and buy a ticket for a 1K. Then the 1K would put his/her number on top of it and cancel the ticket to redeem the miles.

However, I've never called about this issue so I don't know if an agent can manually override this. Not sure if this has changed either -- been a few months since i've redeemed miles.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Bump....trying to book an award flight for my girlfriend using my miles, all on UA metal. I won't be traveling on the trip, will I have any issues?
Old May 29, 2014, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jtrain351209
Bump....trying to book an award flight for my girlfriend using my miles, all on UA metal. I won't be traveling on the trip, will I have any issues?
No. Not a problem. Done all the time.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Do i need to worry?

I (resident in SIN, 1K) just booked an award ticket for my sister (diff last name, resident in DE). Do I need to worry that this might be seen as fraudulently handing on miles/awards? Her trip is to to meet me in the US (my trip was booked before on another itinerary)

If I need to worry, what can I do to prevent any unintended actions taken (cancellation, loss seats, unable to get those back even if they relent)?

Should I call to clarify?
Old May 29, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by matjes
I (resident in SIN, 1K) just booked an award ticket for my sister (diff last name, resident in DE). Do I need to worry that this might be seen as fraudulently handing on miles/awards? Her trip is to to meet me in the US (my trip was booked before on another itinerary)

If I need to worry, what can I do to prevent any unintended actions taken (cancellation, loss seats, unable to get those back even if they relent)?

Should I call to clarify?
Shouldn't be an issue unless they get a surly check-in agent. I've booked flights for my wife's cousin, my Mom and my Wife, all of whom have different last names and it's never an issue. Also I had my account hacked earlier in the year and flights and hotels booked for random people - the guy was about to fly out but I caught it a day or so before his flight and they cancelled it.

I'd be more worried about the US Immigration and Customs for her, depending on what passport she holds. I get more questions coming back home to US then I ever do going abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.