Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SQ SKL access @ SFO permanently denied for *G domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ SKL access @ SFO permanently denied for *G domestic

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: UA1K
good thing i got rcc membership for a year hah

and for the record, i was allowed entrance to LH at IAD on tuesday.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver
Used the lounge on 12/23 as United Domestic First *G pax. The renovation turned out to be nice with no more segregation between First section and Business section. Sad to see this no longer available for domestic UA trips.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
It will be interesting to see if SKL considers my SFO-MEX flight this Sunday to be international, or domestic (as does UA).

Dave
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DGellman
It will be interesting to see if SKL considers my SFO-MEX flight this Sunday to be international, or domestic (as does UA).
UA does not consider it domestic.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: UA G
Bah. While this has been beaten to death elsewhere, if UA decides to nuke E+, I'll make it a point to get *G on AC or A3 to use domestic lounges. Making up your own rules is weak.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:01 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Because they can? I think that's reasonable, to request an international out-bound flight.
Whether you think it's reasonable doesn't have anything to do with whether they are allowed to make their own rules instead of following *A rules. If this applies to all, *G there isn't even a "cheaptastic" issue with regard to *G flyers from carriers other than UA/CO/US, because LH, NH, and all the other *G carriers allow lounge access for their own *Gs (and other airlines' *Gs) to their lounges even on domestic itineraries.

Also, does this mean that RCC members are banned from the SFO SKL now too? There's no "cheaptastic"/"free visit" issue there either because RCC members have paid for a visit to the RCC on each trip, which, per the terms of the RCC membership, also includes the *A partner lounges listed on the RCC website.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DGellman

Dave
This reminds me of the time the US Club at DCA was adamant about the Bahamas not being an international destination. I mean, I understand the whole pre-clearance thing and all, but the discussion got to the point where the gatekeeper agreed with my statement: "So what we are saying is that the Islands of the Bahamas is part of the United States?"

On this topic of the SKL, it seems like "appealing" to *A is a double-edged sword, as *A could choose to "clarify" the *G lounge access policy to say something like: "For lounges where the operating carrier has set more restrictive rules, those rules apply." That could mean goodbye LH!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
This reminds me of the time the US Club at DCA was adamant about the Bahamas not being an international destination. I mean, I understand the whole pre-clearance thing and all, but the discussion got to the point where the gatekeeper agreed with my statement: "So what we are saying is that the Islands of the Bahamas is part of the United States?"
Similar thing happened to me at US Club at PHL, going to BDA, where the matron thought that "international" meant "transatlantic" only. I had to get her to call her supervisor, who told her to let me in because Bermuda is international.

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
On this topic of the SKL, it seems like "appealing" to *A is a double-edged sword, as *A could choose to "clarify" the *G lounge access policy to say something like: "For lounges where the operating carrier has set more restrictive rules, those rules apply." That could mean goodbye LH!
Why would *G "clarify" the rule to allow all *A carriers to arbitrarily deny *G benefits to all other members' carriers by implementing "more restrictive rules"? What if, for example, UA implemented a rule saying that SQ *Gs only get RCC access on full-fare international F and C tickets? Or OZ implemented a rule saying no *G lounge access at ICN, period, due to the need to take care of the many OZ pax there?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Why would *G "clarify" the rule to allow all *A carriers to arbitrarily deny *G benefits to all other members' carriers by implementing "more restrictive rules"? What if, for example, UA implemented a rule saying that SQ *Gs only get RCC access on full-fare international F and C tickets? Or OZ implemented a rule saying no *G lounge access at ICN, period, due to the need to take care of the many OZ pax there?
Oh, it would be a terrible idea for sure, but I'm just saying that they could add additional caveats, just as they currently do for UA/CO/US domestic.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Well I'm glad I had a chance to visit last Sunday for some hot noodles and beer during a misconnect.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I suspect UA finally looked at the bill from SQ and blanched.

Note that on united.com, it says for United Star Gold members, "Enjoy special benefits with our Star Alliance airline partners, including priority on wait lists and for standby and access to Star Alliance lounges (on international tickets)."
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I suspect UA finally looked at the bill from SQ and blanched.

Note that on united.com, it says for United Star Gold members, "Enjoy special benefits with our Star Alliance airline partners, including priority on wait lists and for standby and access to Star Alliance lounges (on international tickets)."
Did it actually say "on international tickets" on .bomb?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Do RCC members get entrance to the SKL on domestic itins?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lax2010
Did it actually say "on international tickets" on .bomb?
It does here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53227,00.html

As a Mileage Plus Premier Executive or 1K member, your elite status is recognized across the alliance as Star Alliance Gold status which gives you and a guest access to more than 900 Star Alliance lounges worldwide. Show your same-day international boarding pass* and your Star Alliance gold card, no matter what class of service you travel in, and your Star Alliance gold card, for access to the Star Alliance lounge.* Just look for the Star Alliance Gold logo.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
OK, good point. But where the united.com website and Star Alliance publications differ on the official rules, the *A publications control...

Based on what united.com says, UA 1Ps/1Ks (a) should not get into SFO SKL on domestic itineraries, but (b) should get into the SIN SKL on all itineraries.

But do you think (b) is really going to happen, because united.com says so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.