Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Humor alert: Time for another low-cost spinoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

So, we've suffered through "Shuttle by United" and then TED (RAR).

With a freshly-minted crop of MBAs about to emerge it seems like maybe the time is ripe for another bunch of bored summer interns to sit around one afternoon and think "we need to show something." Hmmm, think, think, think, when one says "I've got it, let's spin off a low-cost airline."

Getting more and more excited, the person goes on "we won't actually be able to do anything to change the cost structure, since we'll use the same planes, pay the same airport fees, and pay the same employees the same union wages. But, we can take away E+ and add a row of seats, the increased load will mean only one more FA to pay, no problem"

"And, of course it will cost a bit to start up - repainting all those planes, marketing, developing custom IFE, changing the interior color scheme. Probably not more than a few million dollars. We'll make this change for entire markets, meaning we can charge the same ticket prices as before. Everyone will love it."

With one voice they respond "GREAT IDEA, but what shall we call it??"

I'm thinking UNIT, that hasn't been used yet. I'd suggest Wizz, since that would offer the best tag line ever "Feeling restless? It's time to take a Wizz", but sadly that's taken.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I suggested this at the time of the merger, but with CO being the LCC, and UA being the premium carrier.

It made sense at the time -- CO had no E+, annoyances like Pay TVs and dark planes, a nearly all 737 fleet, an employee compensation structure that results in longer hours/more productivity, and a weaker frequent flyer program.

It seemed that sCO was already optimized for low-fare leisure markets like CUN or LAS.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
I suggested this at the time of the merger, but with CO being the LCC, and UA being the premium carrier.

It made sense at the time -- CO had no E+, annoyances like Pay TVs and dark planes, a nearly all 737 fleet, an employee compensation structure that results in longer hours/more productivity, and a weaker frequent flyer program.

It seemed that sCO was already optimized for low-fare leisure markets like CUN or LAS.
I flew SkyBus once. SHARES capabilities for handling IRROPS are similar.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm thinking UNIT, that hasn't been used yet. I'd suggest Wizz, since that would offer the best tag line ever "Feeling restless? It's time to take a Wizz", but sadly that's taken.
?? Wizz Air is a legit Polish LCC.

They offer dirt-cheap prices to western Europe and they started operating the only nonstop service LON-LJU when Adria stopped, which is a bummer because I had wanted to take a *A carrier there.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No need as United has clearly adapted a unique hybrid approach.

They have combined the high cost structure of the legacies with the low PRASM of the LCCs.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa

Except that pmCO (before getting Smisked) had a top tier FF program, upgrades that actually happened, routes that actually made money, decent food & drink, and planes that actually flew most of the time without duct tape and bailing wire.

pmCO wasn't a bad place to be ... The downhill slide started before the merger but now we've got a shell of what two great airlines used to be.

I know, let's call it CAL Lite. Or New York Air.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:05 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Except that pmCO (before getting Smisked) had a top tier FF program, upgrades that actually happened, routes that actually made money, decent food & drink, and planes that actually flew most of the time without duct tape and bailing wire.

pmCO wasn't a bad place to be ... The downhill slide started before the merger.
I agree. The downhill started during Larry K. after Gordon's departure. But it was a small decline and barely unnoticeable to most. The inflection point came after Larry's departure. Meal quality declined, pillows and blankets in F gone, award/upgrade space was no longer released far out making planning more difficult, etc...
Old May 7, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by milepig
With one voice they respond "GREAT IDEA, but what shall we call it??"
Why not IT, as in "that's IT," "I took IT," and "I've had IT."
Old May 7, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
?? Wizz Air is a legit Polish LCC.

They offer dirt-cheap prices to western Europe and they started operating the only nonstop service LON-LJU when Adria stopped, which is a bummer because I had wanted to take a *A carrier there.
I know they exist, that's why I said the "name was taken."
Old May 7, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pmCO wasn't a bad place to be ... The downhill slide started before the merger but now we've got a shell of what two great airlines used to be.

I know, let's call it CAL Lite. Or New York Air.
People Express

Remove cost, add seats, Newark Hub. I wish UA was what it was years ago, and I wish CO was what it was years ago as well. I will say that I always enjoyed flying on CO and was hopeful that the best of what they had to offer would make it to both. What I wasn't expecting was that the best was how to cut costs. That cheap pizza is starting to get unbearable.

Here's a thought, maybe we should all start sending Gordon's book to Smi/J's office. Or maybe Grounded. One tells the story of how CO turned around, one tells how Lorenzo destroyed Eastern. Maybe he'll get the hint.

Last edited by WIRunner; May 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm Reason: I a book.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
People Express

Remove cost, add seats, Newark Hub. I wish UA was what it was years ago, and I wish CO was what it was years ago as well. I will say that I always enjoyed flying on CO and was hopeful that the best of what they had to offer would make it to both. What I wasn't expecting was that the best was how to cut costs. That cheap pizza is starting to get unbearable.

Here's a thought, maybe we should all start sending Gordon's book to Smi/J's office. Or maybe Grounded. One tells the story of how CO turned around, one tells how Lorenzo destroyed Eastern. Maybe he'll get the hint.
I didn't mention People Express because it's already in the works:
www.flypex.com
Old May 7, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

www.flypex.com
From their website:

The new PEOPLExpress™ will revive the iconic brand of the 1980's

Maybe people have forgotten...

I was intrigued enough to click all the way through to their job opportunities page. One listing is for "captain" and among the items in the position posting is this "Frequent travel required." Um, yeah, that's a fair assumption.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

www.flypex.com
Again? Isn't this the third or fourth time that this has been attempted to be restarted.

Edit:
I knew I had seen this recently.
http://crankyflier.com/2014/04/17/pu...t-have-failed/
Old May 7, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Again? Isn't this the third or fourth time that this has been attempted to be restarted.

Edit:
I knew I had seen this recently.
http://crankyflier.com/2014/04/17/pu...t-have-failed/
About the only one I haven't heard a reboot plan for is KIWI ... I'm sure it's in the works somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.