Wiki Posts
Search

US electronics in UK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL HH
US electronics in UK

So I haven't been able to clearly tell what power adapters I will need to make my US laptop work in London. Would anyone be able to give me a hint?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by crux
So I haven't been able to clearly tell what power adapters I will need to make my US laptop work in London. Would anyone be able to give me a hint?
Check the power supply for the input voltage range- most likely it will ~100 tp ~250V. In which case all you'll need is a plug adapter (which you can find in a store at the airport or Circuit City or wherever). Note that adapters FROM US TO UK are quite hard to find in the UK.

In the unlikley event that it is ~100 to ~130V then you would need a voltage converter - but a better idea might be a universal laptop travel power supply.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Check the power supply for the input voltage range- most likely it will ~100 tp ~250V. In which case all you'll need is a plug adapter (which you can find in a store at the airport or Circuit City or wherever). Note that adapters FROM US TO UK are quite hard to find in the UK.

In the unlikley event that it is ~100 to ~130V then you would need a voltage converter - but a better idea might be a universal laptop travel power supply.
And if you buy an adapter, make sure it's fused. Some cheap ones aren't. Due to a peculiarity of UK electrical installations (ring circuits) the wall outlet might only be fused to 30 amps, which is a lot for a tiny laptop cord.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL HH
Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Indeed.

If you have a laptop or a phone charger, chances are likely that it will take all voltage between 100 and 250 (it will say this in tiny writing on the device itself).

This means that you will not have to buy a voltage converter, only a plug adapter.

Try very hard to buy your US-UK plug converter before you leave the US, as finding a plug converter which takes US plugs will be very difficult in the UK.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
A Worldwide adapter I use is the Fuji Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter with USB . So it will also charge any device that has a usb connection. Not sure if it available in the US but this is a amazon uk link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
you should be fine with laptops as the other posters point out. If you are worried or have anything else you need to plug in outside of voltage range you can go to a maplin and get a step down coverter to US plug for around £20, which works quite well.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Stockycub1973
A Worldwide adapter I use is the Fuji Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter with USB
An excellent choice. It is a little bulky, but that's understandable given that it must have the correct innards to allow you to plug pretty much anything in, anywhere.

There is another option - again assuming that your laptop is rated for the correct voltage - if your laptop power brick has the standard detachable figure-8 lead. If that's the case, then you need only buy a new figure-8 lead for the UK (and for other countries you might visit). Readily available in any UK electronics store for a couple of quid.

I use a similar strategy for my Macbook. I have fig-8 lead for the UK, one for US and one for Continental Europe. Ipod, phone and camera then charge through my laptop.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Note that adapters FROM US TO UK are quite hard to find in the UK.
Originally Posted by ajax
finding a plug converter which takes US plugs will be very difficult in the UK.

Nonsense, if one is staying at even a "reasonably" good hotel.

Simply ask the concierge desk and POOF - an adapter you shall have, IME.

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bseller
Nonsense, if one is staying at even a "reasonably" good hotel.

Simply ask the concierge desk and POOF - an adapter you shall have, IME.

Dave
Allow me to rephrase myself:

Purchasing a plug converter which takes US plugs will be very difficult in the UK.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:40 am
cpx

Programs: Many
provided that your computer's powersupply works on 100-250v,
all you need is this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...hL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Grou...ref=pd_sbs_a_6

This one seems bit expensive, but you can find it cheaper.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:42 pm

Allow me to rephrase myself:

Purchasing a plug converter which takes US plugs will be very difficult in the UK.
In the interior of the UK, it may be tricky; but you can buy one at Heathrow with very little difficulty. They sell them in the mini-duty-free between customs and the exit at T3, for instance. (And I'm fairly sure airport branches of WHSmith landside sell them.)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:00 am

They are much easier to find than they used to be, although I am sure people wouldn't want to spend their time looking for them.

Shops such as Wilkinsons have them, although not online.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by jedikiah
They are much easier to find than they used to be, although I am sure people wouldn't want to spend their time looking for them.

Shops such as Wilkinsons have them, although not online.
Really? Wow - I'm surprised. The UK electronics retail sector has come a long way.

The last time I was looking for one (and this was a couple of years back), it took looking through about five of the cluttered little electronic shops on Tottenham Court Road before I found one.

Glad to see that times are changing!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Really? Wow - I'm surprised. The UK electronics retail sector has come a long way.

The last time I was looking for one (and this was a couple of years back), it took looking through about five of the cluttered little electronic shops on Tottenham Court Road before I found one.

Glad to see that times are changing!
Tesco had them last time I looked - and that was in Inverness ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.