Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Any recommendations for

1. 1pm arrival Heathrow to SoHo for two pax with luggage?
Which is a good option? Uber maybe?
I arrive at T4 I think.

2. 9am flight departure from Heathrow
From Victoria station area, would there be traffic problems to get to Heathrow?
Thinking maybe using Uber?

What are your recommendations?

Thank u!
1 Uber would make sense for this
2. With luggage? Cab to Paddington and then the HEX. If you are prepared to leave around 6am then Uber will be fine as traffic really only gets bad from 7 and you are going against the main flow
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
LHR T2 to Canterbury

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a private car service for two people and five pieces of luggage (including carryons)?

TripAdvisor has great reviews of "Twelve Transfers:" Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Is there a train or bus option out of T5 to Bath? Preferences?
Perhaps too late to be of use, but a yet-unmentioned additional option is to take one of the local "7-series" buses from T5 to Slough bus/rail station (about 20 minutes), then pick up a train direct to Bath from there. Saves you going into London and out again. Learned the trick from this forum.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The Bath trains won't stop at Slough (generally only slow ones plus some Oxford/Cotswolds fast ones do), so you'd have to change again at Reading. So, I'd lean towards the Reading rail-aircoach then direct Reading-Bath fast train as easier, for this case!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:41 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
Perhaps too late to be of use, but a yet-unmentioned additional option is to take one of the local "7-series" buses from T5 to Slough bus/rail station (about 20 minutes), then pick up a train direct to Bath from there. Saves you going into London and out again. Learned the trick from this forum.
Visitors probably ought to be aware that services 75/76 are not Transport for London services, instead being run by a private operator, so they do not form part of the Oyster/contactless scheme. Fares are therefore higher than TfL buses, and do not form part of the daily cap.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The Bath trains won't stop at Slough (generally only slow ones plus some Oxford/Cotswolds fast ones do), so you'd have to change again at Reading. So, I'd lean towards the Reading rail-aircoach then direct Reading-Bath fast train as easier, for this case!
Yep, RailAir coach to Reading.

They run every 20 minutes, from T5 it takes 40 minutes outside of peak times to get to Reading station.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Visitors probably ought to be aware that services 75/76 are not Transport for London services, instead being run by a private operator, so they do not form part of the Oyster/contactless scheme. Fares are therefore higher than TfL buses, and do not form part of the daily cap.
That is true. Fare from T5 to Slough is about £4.50 IIRC and they want cash money (though driver will make change). Worth it to me though in certain not-going-to-London cases.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:33 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by BearX220
take one of the local "7-series" buses from T5 to Slough bus/rail station (about 20 minutes)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Visitors probably ought to be aware that services 75/76 are not Transport for London services
There is no more "7-series", it is just the 7 now.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:23 am

Does anyone know how long I should arrive before a flight when taking a National Express Bus?

I'm flying long-haul at 11.10 from terminal 4 and check-in closes 60 minutes before departure.

I'm coming in from Bristol and looking to book a ticket. The bus I'd like to take is scheduled to arrive at T2/3 at 8.15 and T4 at 8.40. Will this leave enough time being in kind this will be a Sunday morning?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Does anyone know how long I should arrive before a flight when taking a National Express Bus?

I'm flying long-haul at 11.10 from terminal 4 and check-in closes 60 minutes before departure.

I'm coming in from Bristol and looking to book a ticket. The bus I'd like to take is scheduled to arrive at T2/3 at 8.15 and T4 at 8.40. Will this leave enough time being in kind this will be a Sunday morning?
Absolutely, plenty of time.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:16 pm

The link to the "Free Routes to Hotels map" in the first post is outdated. I think this is the correct link now.

Interestingly, the map suggests you can take the tube for free between LHR terminals. Is it really the case? How do you do it - surely, you cannot pass the gates without a ticket or an oyster card?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Interestingly, the map suggests you can take the tube for free between LHR terminals. Is it really the case? How do you do it - surely, you cannot pass the gates without a ticket or an oyster card?
You need either an oyster card, a contactless Visa/Mastercard/Amex card, or Apple/Android pay.

You simply tap in at the gates as usual but you don't get charged anything if you then tap out at another terminal.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
LTN to LGW

This is an excellent threads and I hope you guys can provide some advice for my case.

No, this was not the plan. But changes happened, and now I am stuck with an arrival at LTN at 11:30 and a departure from LGW at 16:30. I have 5 hours on a Tuesday in January. 2 passengers, light luggage (carry-on only). I am paying the bill, not using OPM. Here is what I found.
  • ThamesLink rail: takes 1h40m to 2h, with one transfer, costs 62 GBP (for two tickets). There are trains about every 30 minutes.
  • NationalExpress coach: direct 12:50-15:20, costs 31 GBP (for two tickets). This is the only direct coach I can find.
  • Hertz: 30 GBP + petrol
Any other reasonable options? How would you choose transfer between LTN and LGW?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can bring the fare from Luton to Gatwick down by buying a ticket from Luton to East Croydon (£19.40 including the shuttle bus) and then one from East Croydon to Gatwick (£4.50). Don't question it

You don't need to change at East Croydon. Check the train stops there (I think they all do) and you can break your journey in central London too if you feel like it.

As it's a straight shot through from Luton Airport Parkway to Gatwick, without the vagaries of the M1 or M25, I'd go for that.
CaptainMiles likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:41 am

There are four train options per hour (though they’re not evenly spaced, and some are quicker than others). Train would be my first choice. And second. And third.
I'm not sure your Hertz quote is complete. I’ve never seen a Hertz UK rental to a different drop off without a one way fee, so expect that to be added to that cost. Furthermore, you’d be driving in the most congested roads in Europe, and if you went the east circuit of the M25 you have to sort out Dartford crossing toll. (There is no barrier, but you do have to pay, usually by web).
CaptainMiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.