Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from DUB to city centre?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meh!

There's a party of 16-18 of us visiting Dublin for a quiet drink next Wednesday (courtesy of Ryanair's 1p incl' tax offer). I think 4 or 5 taxis would be the best way to get in to the City Centre, rather than the buses. Would anyone concur? Also is there something about getting them to use a road tunnel rather than a longer way - and does this cost more?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure it will have been covered in previous threads but have searched back to 2004 and not found anything.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: United, American
My wife and I spent 25 euros for our middle of the night trip from Dublin airport to city centre. At the time, there was hardly any traffic at all.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:49 am

For a large group, taxis (about €20) are probably the cheapest option (express buses are about €6 per person). Depending on the time of day the tunnel is either €6 or €12 per vehicle. It's very fast and gets you from the airport to the docks (2km from the centre) in about 10 minutes. Whether you decide to use it or not will depend on where in the city you are going, time of day, and how much you value your time!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Regarding where, assume its Temple Bar. Time is critical (its drinking time ffs ) so I assume its yes for the tunnel? Time will be 6pm-ish. We only have 3-hours, as we'll be on the 10pm flight back to LTN.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:41 pm

The tunnel would be of marginal, if any, benefit going to Temple Bar
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaelflyer
The tunnel would be of marginal, if any, benefit going to Temple Bar
Really useful - thank you. ^
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For your size group you might want to consider hiring a small coach for the evening. A quick google on "dublin limousine" turned up many companies, several of which rent small coaches, etc. Might be cheaper than hiring multiple cabs.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:53 am

Maybe try a stretch limo and have a few glasses of bubbly while delayed in traffic!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnmcq
My wife and I spent 25 euros for our middle of the night trip from Dublin airport to city centre. At the time, there was hardly any traffic at all.
Do taxis take credit cards? or cash only?

Anyone have/find a route map for bus 747? It looks like a good way to transport between DUB & City Center. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Jour...metables/7471/
-
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
To see the route, go to the page you linked to, and click "view on map" !

There are two rival buses, the Aircoach and the 747. Aircoach is slightly slower, but serves most of the hotels, including south of the river. 747 is quicker and IIRC a bit cheaper, but only works if you want the city centre
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:52 pm
Formerly known as ahoban

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Do taxis take credit cards? or cash only?

Anyone have/find a route map for bus 747? It looks like a good way to transport between DUB & City Center. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Jour...metables/7471/
-
Most "Hailo" taxis can take card payments via the app even if you don't use it to order the taxi in the first place, some drivers also have chip & pin.

Handy enough guide for the Airlink (747 bus) can be found here.. http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/11...DL_Jan2015.pdf has the few stops that it makes. Journey time is nearly always 30 minutes or less to the city centre, provided it's after 9am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.