Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

When do the summer sales start in London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I'd like to go to London to do some Oxford Street shopping, but I have no idea when the summer sales start. Can anyone help me out?

Do all the stores start on the same day or does it varies?

I thought saturday juli 3 would be good. What do you think?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is almost impossible to say when exactly. The best I can do is suggest that sometime towards the end of July should see most stores offering some kind of reduction on summer clothes. It can vary depending on a range of factors, the weather being surprisingly key. Unlike in some countries, there is no major legislation that regulates the timing or duration of store sale periods.

The last 5 years have seen some fundamental changes in the way shops in the UK deal with end of season stock, largely becuase most of them don't work to a 2 season year but a series of 6/8 week stock cycles (the Gap/Zara model). The summer sale is one that has diminished in importance as a result, unlike New Year!

3rd July sounds about 2 weeks too early.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:11 am

I would agree that 3 July is too early (and possibly more than two weeks too early).

Unlike in many other countries the school holidays don't start until the last week in July here, so people will be busy buying clothes for their summer holidays in early July. I don't think you will see prices going down until after the schools have broken up.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Although if the shops' sales are slow, then the summer sales will start earlier. But I would agree, a couple of weeks would probably be better...
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Unless you're from the UK, then who cares when they start?! The dollar exchange for GPB/US is almost 2-1 (NOT in US favor). Why would you buy anything over there if you didn't absolutely need it or couldn't find it anywhere but UK? (BTW - I love UK but me buying anything is not happening until the exchange rate gets better - UK will have to survive on my hotel, bar & food bills until then).
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well when we go to Palm Springs this summer the old Amex is going to get a heck of a spanking
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

SkiAdcock,

I live in Belgium so I only care about the GBP/EUR rate, which hasn't risen as much as the GBP/USD.

GBP/USD: http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=GBP&t=USD&a=1&c=2
GBP/EUR: http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=GBP&t=EUR&a=1&c=2

If only New York wasn't a 8 hour flight and a 400 EUR airline ticket away....
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Sales now on!

Have noticed there are alot of sales currently on of the "mid-season" variety.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dddc
Have noticed there are alot of sales currently on of the "mid-season" variety.
Which is designed to get rid of any remaining winter stuff and the transitional spring stock. You can look forward to breathtaking displays of swimwear very, very soon. Even if it is still 12 degrees and cloudy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.