Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Does the UK still seize all the money from illegal immigrants even if they leave UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the UK still seize all the money from illegal immigrants even if they leave UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I think it was a couple of years ago when the UK government started seizing money from illegal immigrants. (money from working illegally in the UK, as the money is considered to be profit/proceeds from a criminal activity, i.e. working illegally)

Even if the illegal immigrant voluntarily leaves the UK by plane/boat/train, the money is seized at the border. The agency that seized they money had to prove that the money was wholly earned from illegally working, of course.

Is this still being done? If so, what is the legal basis for it? Has it ever been challenged in the courts?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If it is being done, you have the reason yourself - the proceeds of crime can be confiscated here.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
If it is being done, you have the reason yourself - the proceeds of crime can be confiscated here.
The UK is soooo different than the US.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:58 am

A slightly odd topic for this forum I think. Perhaps more suited to OMNI....

Are you asking because you have been, or you know someone who has been, working illegally?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
A slightly odd topic for this forum I think. Perhaps more suited to OMNI....

Are you asking because you have been, or you know someone who has been, working illegally?
hypothetically, if it's the latter, what does that someone do?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
hypothetically, if it's the latter, what does that someone do?
Not work illegally (which, incidentally, will also mean that person pays his/her share of tax).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not work illegally (which, incidentally, will also mean that person pays his/her share of tax).
hopefully, this person will not raise a red flag, as he/she was only in the UK for 2 weeks and made no more than appx USD$3780 on plumbing jobs.

is this something they routinely check at LHR?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The UK is soooo different than the US.
you never heard of 'civil forfeiture'. Rampant in certain parts of th US.

Even those totally innocent of any crime have had cash and goods confiscated just because law enforcements thinks - without evidence - that its the proceeds of crime.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
The recent ITV documentary on Heathrow had an incident of this happening, with a voluntary departure. So I guess it still happens.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Skatering
The recent ITV documentary on Heathrow had an incident of this happening, with a voluntary departure. So I guess it still happens.
Yep, I saw that and exactly what went through my mind also. Be good for the op to pull that episode up if they want to see how it went down at the airport.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
hopefully, this person will not raise a red flag, as he/she was only in the UK for 2 weeks and made no more than appx USD$3780 on plumbing jobs.

It's very rare. I am very certain that most of those who have worked or are working without sufficient legal work authorization are not commonly stripped of cash when leaving the U.K. It's very rare, and most of the money ends up sent by more modern banking and other channels than hand carry attempts at airports.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What made him become an illegal immigrant in the first place? Pretty good earnings for replacing ballcocks.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Under the Immigration Act of 2016 the Home Office will advise banks of lists of illegal immigrants. Banks will be required to match their customers against this list, identify matches, freeze funds and ultimately transfer such funds seized to the Government.

This will come into full effect in Q1 2018. This will obviously only impact UK held bank accounts (albeit some UK banks may extend this matching to their global account base and force closure of accounts outside UK jurisdiction even if they cannot seize the funds).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

Unlikely though it is, I hope it is something they check, frankly - you must understand that UK wages are considerably lower than US ones, in general, and few people here have a gross annual wage of the £75,000 this equates to.

If someone working legally had earned that money and declared it, the Government would have taken around £1,000 in tax and National Insurance revenue. The figures you think are tiny are not to be sniffed at in UK terms, and if this fraud is discovered your friend should expect punitive action - recovery of the money, deportation and a long ban on re-entry is what I'd expect. They'd hardly be in a position to complain either because they can only have done it knowingly - you simply do not earn that amount of money merely for helping someone out for a few hours.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:21 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
(albeit some UK banks may extend this matching to their global account base and force closure of accounts outside UK jurisdiction even if they cannot seize the funds).
This is interesting and worrying. HSBC is (for now) a UK bank and from what I hear they are very keen on this data matching thing. Would they really close the HSBC US accounts of American citizens (who may have returned to the US) on the basis that they had overstayed their UK visas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.