All Day
Downtown London

Overnight
Print Wikipost

The consolidated "I've got x hours at Heathrow, what can I do?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You might find some ideas in these threads started by people with a similar question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...r-what-do.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...r-layover.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...rs-london.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...over-kids.html (specialized)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-disabled.html (specialized)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...to-london.html

As for the terminal: depends on the airlines more than the destinations. The real issue is whether you'll be able to check your luggage through to South Africa.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Arrive Terminal 2 at 11am on Air Canada and depart Terminal 1 at 9pm on SAA. Can check luggage through except for carry on. So, need some ideas about what to do with carry on. Looking to sight see mostly the big sights. Not really museums. Need suggestions for best ways to get into the city and which station to go directly to. Then, we are happy to do a walking tour (self guided?) or hop on hop off. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Lots of suggestions in the threads that Efrem linked for you. Have a read of those and post any specific questions in them and you'll likely get a better response.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Best check what terminal SAA use as T1 no longer exists!

Please read the threads linked to - they have all the info you need to answer your very commonly asked question.

There is a kept luggage facility in each terminal. you should allow additional time to retrieve your bag before your SAA departure in case of queues.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Safti
Arrive Terminal 2 at 11am on Air Canada and depart Terminal 1 at 9pm on SAA. Can check luggage through except for carry on. So, need some ideas about what to do with carry on. Looking to sight see mostly the big sights. Not really museums. Need suggestions for best ways to get into the city and which station to go directly to. Then, we are happy to do a walking tour (self guided?) or hop on hop off. Thanks in advance.
You'll be leaving from Terminal 2 on SAA. Leave your bags at the left luggage on the arrivals level and continue downstairs to the trains or tube that will take you to London.

Bear in mind travel time back. Terminal 2 is pretty efficient but pretty long, so security will be fairly fast but you could have a long walk to the gate.

Read all the threads above, then get back to us with any more questions.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Just saw this referenced in another thread so wanted to give an update...

After Tons of research and reading on here we decided to go to windsor.

It was a great choice. I semi prebooked a car. Meaning I spoke to one of the car companies and they said all I needed to do was call when we landed and they would have someone come pick us up. They did and even had a car seat waiting. They met us at the exit with sign.

We proceeded to Windsor where the driver gave us a quick tour of the grounds in the car and then dropped us off. we had a lot of carry ons (3) and the driver held them for us for the 3 hours that we were in Windsor.

We ended up not going into the castle as they didnt allow strollers and neither of us were awake enough to carry our baby for the whole time. So instead we walked around all the shops grabbed lunch and then called for pick up.

Our luggage was waiting for us in the car and we headed back to the airport with time to spare.

Great time and thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:08 pm

I think we will take your advice and leave the carryon. If we have a 10 hour layover then I think we're safe to head into London and spend 5-6 hours on a walking tour (Londonwalks.com) or something similar. I just needed to know the best way to get into London and which tube stop to get off at. Most appreciated.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:26 pm

Unfortunately, some of the threads are old (2009) so I'm still not clear about best way to head into London and which station to go to to be in central London.
Westminster, Big Ben, etc. I figure if we have a 10 hour layover that we will actually have about 6 hours to spend in London. Likely it will probably be between noon and 5pm. Enough time for a tour of central London. If you have any other suggestions like transportation or tours then that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Unfortunately, some of the threads are old (2009) so I'm still not clear about best way to head into London and which station to go to to be in central London.
Westminster, Big Ben, etc. I figure if we have a 10 hour layover that we will actually have about 6 hours to spend in London. Likely it will probably be between noon and 5pm. Enough time for a tour of central London. If you have any other suggestions like transportation or tours then that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Why is this so hard?
There's so much good information explaining Tube vs Heathrow Express etc in those threads and there are myriad others using the same search parameters.
Take the Piccadilly Line to Piccadilly Circus. Get off. Get on a tour bus. Take a tour. Get off at the sights you want to see. Get back on the bus. Get back on the Tube.
Have you done any looking yourself? Have you looked at a Tube Map?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:26 pm

Wow. Sorry I asked. Not that hard but I'm not familiar with London at all. Don't know the transportation system there and threads have made a variety of recommendations. Thought I would start my research on Flyertalk but guess I'll look some other sites.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:40 am

I would not recommend the bus tour. Two reasons
(1) You specifically suggested walking, and a good walk is an excellent restorative between flights
(2) London traffic varies between bad and diabolical, and has become much worse in the last year. On a tour bus, there's a danger you'll find yourself stuck in traffic, away from a tube stop, just when you should be starting your trip back to the airport.
For a "big hit" of sights, take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith - do a cross platform connection to the District line and get off at Westminster. You'll emerge into daylight alongside the Thames and beneath Big Ben. Loads of walking options from there - along the Thames, or up to Buckingham Palace, or loads more.
Assuming this is a weekday, you'll be returning to LHR in the rush hour. Don't push your luck on timing.
A one day "travelcard" costs £12.10. (There can be fractionally cheaper options via oyster / contactless - but for a visitor the paper ticket is simpler).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you want to go to Westminster/Big Ben first then head to Westminster tube.

Use the tfl.gov.uk website. It gives you a step by step guide, with maps etc.
Enter 'Heathrow Airport Terminals 1-3' as From.
Enter 'Westminster' as To. You can even enter Big Ben or other landmarks.
Set the time as appropriate.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
I would not recommend the bus tour. Two reasons
(1) You specifically suggested walking, and a good walk is an excellent restorative between flights
(2) London traffic varies between bad and diabolical, and has become much worse in the last year. On a tour bus, there's a danger you'll find yourself stuck in traffic, away from a tube stop, just when you should be starting your trip back to the airport.
For a "big hit" of sights, take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith - do a cross platform connection to the District line and get off at Westminster. You'll emerge into daylight alongside the Thames and beneath Big Ben. Loads of walking options from there - along the Thames, or up to Buckingham Palace, or loads more.
Assuming this is a weekday, you'll be returning to LHR in the rush hour. Don't push your luck on timing.
A one day "travelcard" costs £12.10. (There can be fractionally cheaper options via oyster / contactless - but for a visitor the paper ticket is simpler).
Thanks for your helpful post... and nux too. Appreciate your direction.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For Tube vs Heathrow Express, it's a case of where you want to be and how much you want to spend. The Tube is direct to the centre, cheap, every 5 minutes, and takes about 45-60 minutes. It gets crowded after Hammersmith, and the seating is no more than bearable.

The Heathrow Express is faster, more comfortable, but expensive, and takes you to Paddington, which is not quite the centre (and also has one of the Tube lines not stopping there).

Personally, for a short visit, I'd head to the river - specifically the area between Tower and Westminster bridges. Heathrow to Westminster by Tube is easy - a cross-platform transfer at Hammersmith or Barons Court (NOT Earls Court) for the District Line. If you have a contactless credit card, you can pay by simply touching the card on to the barriers - no need to buy tickets.

There's a great walkway on the south side of the river - you can take in parliament, the London Eye, Tate Modern, St Paul's, Borough Market and Tower Bridge along here. You can get the river boat back from Tower Bridge to Embankment (or just rejoin the Tube at Tower Hill). Then it's the same journey in reverse (note that you cannot take a Wimbledon train on the District Line).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:33 pm

Thanks so much. What is a contactless credit card? Is that one that you just tap? Has a PIN embedded? If so, then that's what I've got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.