All Day
Downtown London

Overnight
Print Wikipost

The consolidated "I've got x hours at Heathrow, what can I do?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
If I were feeling particularly lazy I'd possibly even look at the feasibility of taking a day room at one of the hotels near the airport. At least you could have a proper shower or bath and decent nap - I don't sleep particularly well on planes so I would probably be a bit of a zombie coming off that MIA and not sure if I would be wanting to roam about a strange city without my wits about me.

But if nicely rested, washed and shaved in the arrivals lounge, plus a good breakfast under my belt, I'd head into town (don't know the logistics of getting to Windsor from LHR - coach?) and wander around the west end or get off at somewhere like Hammersmith and visit a river-side pub for lunch if the weather is good. @:-) The National Army museum has just re-opened so that might be an idea if you're into that sort of thing (short walk from Sloane Square tube) and opens at 10.00 am on a Sunday.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you get to London with a plan of walking outside and the weather is bad, change plan to one of the major museums and stay indoors. They all have somewhere to have lunch, are mostly on or near the Piccadilly Line, and are mostly free. For a single museum to go to with a wide variety of things to see, I recommend the British Museum.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
The UK & Ireland forum has plenty of suggestions on what to do.

At LHR, enter the UK through T3 and use the AA arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast. You won't be able to use the BA arrivals lounge in T5, and the AA lounge in T3 is quite satisfactory.

Then proceed into the Heathrow Express (if you want to spend money and go to Paddington, an area of London largely devoid of interest) or the Tube (if you want to go to the rest of London). Do what you wish to do, then return to LHR T5 at 15:30 (unless you like rushing) and go through (First Wing) security to the lounge, then onto Cairo.
Thankyou for confirming (though in a negative not allowed in BA T5 Arrivals Lounge) that arrivals needs be T3 AA Lounge based on arrival L-Haul being AA metal not BA-Metal

I was rather hoping the first hilited (hilite mine) below of Arrivals t+c applied as I arrive Business AA L-Haul MIA-LHR, fly out Business BA LHR-CAI
(LHR-CAI is a Club-World ticket... from my acct MMB on BA.COM for CAI-LHR .... 0 stops, 04 hrs 40 mins, Club World, Confirmed )

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rivals-lounges

The Galleries Arrivals Lounge in London Heathrow Terminal 5 is available for passengers who are:
o flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First or Club World
o a Gold Member of the British Airways Executive Club arriving on a British Airways long haul flight

Last edited by scubaccr; May 21, 2017 at 1:55 am
Old May 21, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you get to London with a plan of walking outside and the weather is bad, change plan to one of the major museums and stay indoors. They all have somewhere to have lunch, are mostly on or near the Piccadilly Line, and are mostly free. For a single museum to go to with a wide variety of things to see, I recommend the British Museum.
Or go to South Kensington where you have the choice of 3 major museums within a few yards giving you the best part of another hour in London compared to the BM.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
Or go to South Kensington where you have the choice of 3 major museums within a few yards giving you the best part of another hour in London compared to the BM.
I'll second this, although if it's a nice day a trip to the Thames to have lunch and a few pints by the river is also worth doing.

The T5 arrivals lounge is nothing to shout about. It's great if you need to freshen up before going to work and as someone who lives in London I sometimes use it to grab some breakfast before taking a cab home. Other than that it's a small soulless room with no windows and average food. I can't imagine the T3 lounge is much better but again, it's worth it to get some food and freshen up.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
New Premier Inn at T4 has promotional pricing (at least as of a few days ago) of 30 pounds and up.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The consolidated "I've got x hours at Heathrow, what can I do?" thread

This question comes up time and time again. I'm going to merge some threads in here, and create a wikipost with some standard Q & A. Please edit the Wikipost to share your knowledge on this topic, and use the thread to discuss or ask new questions. Thanks!

stut
UK & Ireland
Old May 25, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Well I flew to London, stayed 2 nights and flew back to Canada for a night and back to London for 1 night. Did both LHR/LGW.

LGW is a dump but immigration took no time at all, compared to LHR which premium even took 30 minutes and regular line looked over an hour long. Tried both Southern and Gatwick express, both are quite awful if you have one heavy luggage. Was hard to find any space and we were travelling on non peak time hours... Heathrow Express was a bit nicer, not as busy during non peak time.

For the 24 hour layover, what is recommended here is probably best. 24 hours isn't much time at all due to London traffic and the time it takes to train and clear immigrations and grab luggage. Walking from where the London Eye is and crossing the river to Big Ben and to Buckingham Palace but taking an Uber to Tower Bridge is more recommended as it's a long walk from the palace. I noticed the cabs are unhelpful(no help with luggage) and also very uncomfortable. I'd just suggest taking Uber Exec/Lux where you get a 5/7 Series BMW or E/S Class Mercedes for slightly more than a taxi. Much friendlier services and helpful drivers.

Pretty cool city, lots of history! Extremely expensive for what you get, especially hotels and drinks at the "trendy" spots. I guess I've been too spoiled at the value/service/luxury you get in Asia/Middle East! Even the US LOL. I think what really killed it for me was the train experience with luggage and the fact that renting a car or car hire is useless as traffic literally doesn't move in London... and I thought driving in NY/LA/Seoul was bad lol!
Old May 28, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Any advice for:

Arriving LHR T3 from FCO on Club World in the evening around 8:40 p.m.

Connecting flight doesn't leave until next morning out of T5 (LHR-SFO on BA F if it matters).

I'm pretty familiar with London but it's been years. I know Concorde Room has those little cabanas, but it's not open 24 hours, correct? I really don't want to get a hotel for several hours of fitful sleep. And heading into London - it's a Monday night and from what I remember everything shuts down after midnight/2 a.m. Any other options in T5? Or other suggestions?
Old May 28, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I wouldn't go into London and just get an airport hotel near T5, or the Sofitel T5 which is landside.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have a layover on a return leg at LHR in a few weeks:

DEL-LHR: arrive 06:30
LHR-AUS: depart 12:00

I've been to Windsor Castle before, but it was about 10 years ago. I wouldn't mind going again, however it doesn't open until 0930. Is there anything else in Windsor or that is a similar distance from LHR that would be worth doing?

I will have lounge access as a oneworld sapphire, so could certainly shower after the long flight and relax/eat and just stay at LHR.

I had an 8-9 hour layover at LHR 2 years ago, which was plenty of time to go into town, have some lunch, do a little exploring, and still get back to LHR in plenty of time to visit the lounge before my flight. But I'm not sure about 5.5 hours, especially at that early time of day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.