Search

Walk to Hilton from MAN?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Walk to Hilton from MAN?

Flying BA LHR-MAN on 5/20. A quick look at the map looks like it's only a 1/2 mile from the terminal. Is it possible to walk without getting run over? I don't know how pedestrian friendly it is or not.

Thanks

ETA is there a local market I can walk to and purchase a few cold pints?
Old May 2, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you look at the hotel website?
it's pretty straightforward.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You've two options for walking, really. There is a shared footpath/cyclepath from near T3 that goes past the hotel. It's a bit tricky to find the start of it, though - you have to head through the multi-storey car park and out to the surface car park at the back of it. It then takes you across the road, and along beside the dual-carriageway (under a flyover), over the railway and to the hotel. If you look on Google Maps satellite view, you can see it as the surface is red.

Alternatively, you can take the skywalk over via T1 to the railway/tram station, head downstairs and outside, head left over the railway bridge and the cross the dual-carriageway (no official crossing, but it's easy enough) to the hotel. This is easier if you don't know the airport.

In terms of shops, there's not that much... The terminals have a Spar convenience store in arrivals, and there's a pub in T1 (adjacent to T3). Otherwise, you'd have to head on the tram to Wythenshawe which, how would I say, isn't the most tourist-friendly part of the city.

You can, of course, easily head into the city centre from the Hilton - the station is just over the road, and it's an easy 15-minute train journey. (Do be aware there are some current drug-related problems around Piccadilly Gardens, but don't let that put you off visiting the city.)
Old May 3, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Did you look at the hotel website?
it's pretty straightforward.
Yes I did. It said "call the hotel". That's why I posted here to hopefully get an answer without having to call.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
You've two options for walking, really. There is a shared footpath/cyclepath from near T3 that goes past the hotel. It's a bit tricky to find the start of it, though - you have to head through the multi-storey car park and out to the surface car park at the back of it. It then takes you across the road, and along beside the dual-carriageway (under a flyover), over the railway and to the hotel. If you look on Google Maps satellite view, you can see it as the surface is red.

Alternatively, you can take the skywalk over via T1 to the railway/tram station, head downstairs and outside, head left over the railway bridge and the cross the dual-carriageway (no official crossing, but it's easy enough) to the hotel. This is easier if you don't know the airport.

In terms of shops, there's not that much... The terminals have a Spar convenience store in arrivals, and there's a pub in T1 (adjacent to T3). Otherwise, you'd have to head on the tram to Wythenshawe which, how would I say, isn't the most tourist-friendly part of the city.

You can, of course, easily head into the city centre from the Hilton - the station is just over the road, and it's an easy 15-minute train journey. (Do be aware there are some current drug-related problems around Piccadilly Gardens, but don't let that put you off visiting the city.)
Thanks-

Yes I looked at google maps and it looked frustratingly crazy to find a proper foot path lol
Old May 3, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You could always catch a train to Deansgate station (20 minutes ride, one every 30 minutes or so, or go to Piccadilly station and transfer to the trams.. ). There's a much nicer Hilton a couple of hundred yards up the road from the Deansgate station: and that'll put you in the centre of Manchester. Whoopee! 😁
Old May 4, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes I did. It said "call the hotel". That's why I posted here to hopefully get an answer without having to call.
Fairly detailed walking directions have also been provided in posts in the thread for this hotel in the Hilton forum.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the help everyone.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The Airport Pub is a short walk from the Hilton. It has a beer garden right next to the departure point for one of the runways (depending on wind direction).

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/pub...ub/a-e/airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.