Wiki Posts
Search

Connection Question [Train to Yeovil from London airports]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Connection Question [Train to Yeovil from London airports]

I am flying Edinburgh to London with BA next Saturday but I'm not sure whether to choose Heathrow or Gatwick for a train connection to Yeovil.

Any experts help me out please?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If it's on the First Great Western mainline I'd get the RailAir bus from Heathrow to Reading and change there. Heathrow Express to Paddington is good but likely to be expensive compared to the alternative and not necessarily a time saving because you're going back on yourself.

I suspect the optimal answer will mostly depend on the timing of the particular flight however.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks Cymro that sounds perfect!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:19 am

Yeovil Junction is served on SouthWest trains that leave from Waterloo and travel via Woking

You can get a National Express bus from LHR direct to Woking station for about £15 and takes under 30 mins usually
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
Yeovil has 2 stations. From Gatwick it's an easy journey to Clapham Junction for the Waterloo to Exeter train. Check national rail.co.uk for alternatives i.e. Woking or Reading(which will involve a change of trains)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yup, there are two stations: Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction. The former (more central) is mostly served by Weymouth-Bristol trains, whereas the latter (slightly out of town) is served by the Exeter-London Waterloo trains.

So yes, take the Waterloo train (https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/) to Woking then the bus from there to Heathrow, or to Clapham Junction and the train from there to Gatwick.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies, I will check out which works best for my timings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.