Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coastal Towns near London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Coastal Towns near London

Are there any interesting coastal towns near London for a daytrip?

Brighton?
Dover?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Bournemouth, Eastbourne, Brighton, Margate, southend

all could be done as day trip

Dover is more of a ferry port than a coastal town.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Brighton is the obvious large town (actually a city - Brighton & Hove) and is a good choice for sure, but there are also loads of smaller towns within a very easy day trip from London, such as Hastings. I wouldn't put Dover high up the list.

If you have a car, a lesser known town which is an easy drive east of London is Maldon - very pleasant for a few hours on a sunny afternoon and good for bird watching.

On the other side of the estuary, Whitstable is excellent, famous for its oysters, and can be combined with a jaunt to Canterbury.

I could go on...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Maldon, of course, is also famous for its salt.

I would add Aldeburgh and Southwold to the list.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Are any of these easily accessible via train from London?
I wont have a car.

Tks!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:08 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I wont have a car.

Tks!
Yes. See: www.nationalrail.co.uk
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I wont have a car.

Tks!
Most of them! Take a look at the "London and South East" rail map at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...East_Dec16.pdf to see which ones are easy to get to and from where in London. Then use national rail enquiries to look up times, changes, costs etc.

Most of the coastal towns mentioned are too "near" to have advanced purchase tickets available, so there's generally no cost penalty to buying on the day. You'll want a railcard if you're leaving after 10am or on a weekend, that'll save a bit
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

Dover has an impressive castle, but the town itself is rather careworn. On the other hand, if you want to see the busiest ferry terminal in the world.... Dover station isn't actually that near the water.
I'd add Portsmouth to your list. Huge naval history, and standing on the sea wall by the (busy) harbour entrance - you can almost touch the vessels passing through.
What do you want to do on your day out? Walk? Funfair? Just sit with an ice cream? That'll help us tailor the suggestions.
The rail system sometimes does engineering works at the weekend, so check for your date before setting out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Rye is worth visiting as well.

Also, and not a town, but a train to Eastbourne or Seaford, and then a bus (it may be possible to get a joint ticket covering both bus and train) takes you to Seven Sisters country park, which is one of my favourite places in the world.

Last edited by AlwaysonBA663; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reason: clarity
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you can also get to seven sisters from brighton using the 'plus bus' ticket. More trains to/from London from Brighton than Eastbourne.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a "vacation type" seaside town.
Seems like there are quite a few near London!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:10 am

Ah, but what sort of vacation? If your vacation requires:
A funfair and fish and chips. Southend or Southsea(Portsmouth)
A pier and real sand. Clacton.
A slightly bohemeian air. Brighton.
Genteel relaxation with no sign of a funfair. Eastbourne or Frinton.
Do check weekend trains - lots of engineering closures affect Essex routes this year.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
West Wittering? Slightly more complicated by train, but reasonably nice.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I personally dislike Brighton (and I've been there a lot), the combination of London hipster money and locals who clearly can't afford to live a decent life there is depressing. However if you do go, a day trip by train consisting of walking round the Laines shopping area (narrow streets, small shops), a walk on the beach and perhaps a visit to the pier, and eating in a local seafood restaurant is a reasonable way to make a decent go of it. You can definitely do this in a day.

Dover is a place best travelled through; it suffers greatly from being a small seaside town with a giant road/ferry link in it.

Portsmouth is further away, but a lot less irritating to me.

Probably in your situation I would either take the above day trip to Brighton, or go to Portsmouth.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wont have a car.

Tks!
SE rail should take you all the way to Deal. That is a pretty town. All the seafront towns in Kent are nice although as someone said Dover is a ferry city and has dodgy council flats on the seafront (why those haven't been cleared for development I don't know).

My mother grew up in Cliftonville and my sister lives in Walmer near Deal. nice places to visit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.