Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to clear customs at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stc
It would help if you were familiar with LHR and T3. If you don't get a Fast Track Invitation, I would say No Way. I went through LHR last week and I'd estimate the non-UK Passport line was at least an hour if not two. July 3rd is likely to be as bad if not worse. (I have UK Registered Traveler so I as through in less time than it took me to type this.)
I guess it all depends on the luck of the draw. 3 weeks ago, I went through T3 non Fast Track immigration (I'm an American citizen) at around 09:00 and the wait was maybe 10 minutes. One just can't depend on such expediency. T3 is easy and has excellent signage so if the OP wants to take the HEX, he'll descend that ramp in the arrivals area immediately after walking through customs and it's a quick walk.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by stc
Given you are in J, IF YOU GET A FAST TRACK INVITATION, AND THE FLIGHT IS ON TIME, I think this is possible. But, that is a lot of IFs and ANDs. It would help if you were familiar with LHR and T3. If you don't get a Fast Track Invitation, I would say No Way. I went through LHR last week and I'd estimate the non-UK Passport line was at least an hour if not two. July 3rd is likely to be as bad if not worse. (I have UK Registered Traveler so I as through in less time than it took me to type this.)
Thanks, I'm pretty familiar with the LHR-London routes (lived there for 1 year about 5 years), but I'm sure immigration has changed significantly since then. It looks like I'll have to be more conservative (too bad, as it will cost me 40K more points for the ticket).

Do you happen to know the rate of getting Fast Track with a US passport in J?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:05 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Story time

I once met someone who was, like the OP here, intending to rush to a wedding in London about 2 or 3 hours after landing from the US. Her flight was delayed and she became rather flustered.

Combined with the fact that her body clock was set to 3am, when she got to immigration and was asked her reasons for travelling to the UK, instead of saying she was late to her friend's wedding, she somehow said she was late for her own wedding.

It all went downhill from there and owing to her general naïvety (at the time) regarding immigration outside the US, she was returned to the US and unfortunately missed the wedding.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

A bit OT but it's not just immigration outside the US but rather that many countries do not allow those on visitor visas to enter specifically for the purpose of getting married. There are specific visa categories for that even in the US (and definitely in the UK) and saying that you are coming so you can get hitched is grounds for denial of entry and removal.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have a timing question for LHR...flying UA next week, so will be arriving in T2 at 6:20 AM (scheduled time) on a Wednesday morning. My plan is to fast walk/jog to the customs line. Do folks think that I can:

-clear customs
-take the Piccadilly line to Covent Garden
-check in to The Savoy, shower quickly
-get out to Canary Wharf

...by 9-9:30 AM?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have a timing question for LHR...flying UA next week, so will be arriving in T2 at 6:20 AM (scheduled time) on a Wednesday morning. My plan is to fast walk/jog to the customs line.
You won't be allowed to jog straight from the plane to customs, you'll have to queue up and go through immigration first! No real issue with jogging from there through baggage claim and out through customs, normally without stopping (unless you caught their eye). Order will be arrivals corridors, immigration (potentially long lines as lots of long hauls arrive into T2 around then), baggage claim area, customs (normally walk through without stopping). Names and procedures differ from the USA, so it's best to get the terminology right otherwise you may get confused, and may get the wrong end of the stick searching for things online...

Otherwise, in terms of your plan, I fear you may struggle. It'll be about an hour to the Savoy, with waits and walks likely about 90 minutes from T2 to your hotel room. It'll be around 40 minutes from the hotel to Canary Wharf - looks like bus + tube is best bet, or so TFL say. Add in queues at T2 immigration, especially if you don't have an EU passport or don't have Registered Traveller, and I think you're out of time...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would suggest jogging through Customs would attract their attention and then they would stop you. A normal walk is the best way if you don't want to get stopped.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SBR249
A bit OT but it's not just immigration outside the US but rather that many countries do not allow those on visitor visas to enter specifically for the purpose of getting married. There are specific visa categories for that even in the US (and definitely in the UK) and saying that you are coming so you can get hitched is grounds for denial of entry and removal.
She/He's coming to visit a wedding, not his/her own (I presume)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
She/He's coming to visit a wedding, not his/her own (I presume)
I had read that, but if you screw up and say the wrong thing, it'll make border force officers pretty suspicious.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would suggest jogging through Customs would attract their attention and then they would stop you. A normal walk is the best way if you don't want to get stopped.
Or get one of those golf cart things that have nearly mowed me down on several occasions.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Calchas
OP is taking the Heathrow Express
Implicit in my answer, is that I don't recommend this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
You won't be allowed to jog straight from the plane to customs, you'll have to queue up and go through immigration first! No real issue with jogging from there through baggage claim and out through customs, normally without stopping (unless you caught their eye). Order will be arrivals corridors, immigration (potentially long lines as lots of long hauls arrive into T2 around then), baggage claim area, customs (normally walk through without stopping). Names and procedures differ from the USA, so it's best to get the terminology right otherwise you may get confused, and may get the wrong end of the stick searching for things online...

Otherwise, in terms of your plan, I fear you may struggle. It'll be about an hour to the Savoy, with waits and walks likely about 90 minutes from T2 to your hotel room. It'll be around 40 minutes from the hotel to Canary Wharf - looks like bus + tube is best bet, or so TFL say. Add in queues at T2 immigration, especially if you don't have an EU passport or don't have Registered Traveller, and I think you're out of time...
Yes, got my lingo wrong. I have flown to LHR via T2 previously, so I'm well aware of how it's set up. I am largely concerned about the immigration line - I have previously flown to LHR and arrived a little later and not had too bad of an experience at the immigration line. I did mention the fast walking because the terminal feels interminably large...

That said, I may be better off showering up at the Priority Pass lounge and going straight to the office from LHR, as much as I would rather not do that. Getting the shower in is more important than checking in.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
That said, I may be better off showering up at the Priority Pass lounge and going straight to the office from LHR, as much as I would rather not do that. Getting the shower in is more important than checking in.
Generally taking the Heathrow Express is an expensive and unhelpful option, but in this case I think it'll work well. It's just under an hour from the Heathrow station for T2/T3 to Canary Wharf via the HEX, trains every 15 minutes. Take the HEX to Paddington, near the front if possible. Head straight on and slightly left to the Bakerloo Line underground entrance. Bakerloo Line (brown) for 3 stops, cross platform change to Jubilee Line (silver) all the way to the wharf. You should be fine to get stuck in a small queue at immigration, small queue in the lounge for showers, and still get to the office at your desired time
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a timing question for LHR...flying UA next week, so will be arriving in T2 at 6:20 AM (scheduled time) on a Wednesday morning. My plan is to fast walk/jog to the customs line. Do folks think that I can:

-clear customs
-take the Piccadilly line to Covent Garden
-check in to The Savoy, shower quickly
-get out to Canary Wharf

...by 9-9:30 AM?
0620: Wheels down
0630: At gate
0635: Doors open
0645: Get off aircraft
0655: Arrive at Border Control queue
0720: Clear Border Control
0730: Get luggage
0745: Board Piccadilly line
0830: Arrive Covent Garden
0845: Get to Savoy
0915: Finish shower and leave Savoy
0940: Get to Canary Wharf

This is best case scenario really. I doubt the Savoy will let you check in that early unless you have made prior arrangements. There is significant pressure on the PP arrivals lounge in T2 for showers at this time. I would expect to wait at least 30 minutes.

In short, I doubt you'll be at Canary Wharf much before 1000.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
0620: Wheels down
0630: At gate
0635: Doors open
0645: Get off aircraft
0655: Arrive at Border Control queue
0720: Clear Border Control
0730: Get luggage
0745: Board Piccadilly line
0830: Arrive Covent Garden
0845: Get to Savoy
0915: Finish shower and leave Savoy
0940: Get to Canary Wharf

This is best case scenario really. I doubt the Savoy will let you check in that early unless you have made prior arrangements. There is significant pressure on the PP arrivals lounge in T2 for showers at this time. I would expect to wait at least 30 minutes.

In short, I doubt you'll be at Canary Wharf much before 1000.
I am assuming that 6:20 is gate arrival (UA is pretty conservative on blocking out time). I am traveling without checked bags and will have already checked into hotel room (have it from the night before). That said, I do agree that if it takes me an hour to get to the Tube, I'm in trouble. I am hoping to get there in 30-45 minutes...hoping to outwalk the rest of the jetlagged travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.