Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Urgent passport nightmare (supposed to flying to US on Wednesday - on BA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Arriving back in the UK today, I had my passport "confiscated" by a border official due to a) chip not working, and b) a very minor peel in the corner of the laminate on the photo page. Nothing serious, I've used this passport in identical condition to pass through 5 countries in the last week (including the UK, none of whom mentioned the chip or peel issues) with no problems. Unfortunately whilst examining the passport, the border agent managed to peel the laminate on the photo page back entirely, completely exposing the photograph, so at that point it did become unusable.

They gave me a form ("UK Immigration Service passport receipt form") and said I would need to take the form to Newport (I live in Devon) tomorrow and get a same day passport replacement as I told them I was flying to the US in 2 days time.

Now, HM Passport Office are telling me I can't get a same day replacement without the old physical passport and UK Border Force at the airport are saying they won't give it back to me (but they will be sending it back to the Peterborough passport office).

I've tried speaking to both repeatedly on the phone only to be given the same information as above (it seems they won't talk to each other! )

Does anyone have any possible suggestions, or am I totally screwed for the trip this week?! I am half tempted to drive to Newport tomorrow regardless and try my luck (or even Peterborough, although that would be a hike).

ESTA might be another issue (as well as the GE interview I am booked to have whilst in the US) but one step at a time, I will just settle for having a passport initially!

I'm flying BA to the US (ex-DUB naturally!) so mods would appreciate if you would let this stay here where the collective wisdom is greatest. In fact my trip returning today was ex-CDG on QR too, so hopefully I am ticking all the right FT boxes!!! Thanks...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No passport = no travel.

It's in airlines T&Cs that having the right documentation is down to the passenger so airlines will be within their rights to cancel your tickets etc if you no show.

You do have a complaint against the UKBF though which you should pursue. Use your MP if necessary.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
In the interests of time, you could get replacement for a lost passport and bear the cost. Unfortunately, the 1 day option is not available for lost passports so it would take a week.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
There may be a reason why you can't do this, but I would have thought you could use the same day premium passport service to simply apply for a new passport, not to replace the existing one? https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...ur-appointment You should also report your current passport as being lost or stolen - which I guess technically it has been.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No passport = no travel.

It's in airlines T&Cs that having the right documentation is down to the passenger so airlines will be within their rights to cancel your tickets etc if you no show.

You do have a complaint against the UKBF though which you should pursue. Use your MP if necessary.
Yeh sorry, to clarify I am not expecting anything of BA here (or AA as it's actually their ticket but BA metal...) I certainly would not expect them to let me travel without a passport, and not to the US of all places!

I have already submitted a complaint to UKBF but they "promise to reply within 20 days" !

I think my best bet is to book an appointment at Newport anyway tomorrow (£128 non-refundable though) and plead my case, but thought I would see if anyone here had any better advice.

If it turns out I can't travel on Wednesday then I will certainly cancel the ticket to at least get any taxes back and will also see what my travel insurer says.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjai
In the interests of time, you could get replacement for a lost passport and bear the cost. Unfortunately, the 1 day option is not available for lost passports so it would take a week.
Thanks - that's basically what HM Passport Office are saying, but won't help me travel in 2 days time. Also my passport is not technically lost as it is sitting in an office at my local airport!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA : BA
I know this won't help today, but I think in future, with your level of travel I would have a second passport
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
They can bend the rules solely at their discretion and do a same day replacement without having the old one, if they are happy to do so.
I had a lost one replaced using the 4hr service, so I do speak from direct experience.

Book an in-person one week appointment (which is the shortest they offer for a 'lost' passport, but may require a slight porkie on the phone) and when there plead your case.
The fact that it has been damaged and then retained by a border agent and neither of which are your doing, really works in your favour here, and taking proof of your imminent travel will add further weight to your case.

You will need a new ESTA, but that should come through quickly.

Last edited by leaveamessage; Feb 27, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Use your MP if necessary.
This is good advice. It is a bit of a long shot but the OP's MP's office will have a special phone number for HM Passport Office. If you get the right member of staff, they may be able to sort this out...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:01 am

There was a recent money saving expert post where someone had his passport stolen on the way to Heathrow. They were successful in getting a replacement http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5603504
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Definitely go in person and confidentely say that it was received by a government official and here is the official receipt. I suspect they will contact that office to verify the receipt is genuine, then send you on your way the same day with new passport in hand.

Lost/stolen passports have more scrutiny because you could have 'lost' it by giving it to a friend to use or alter.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, has given me some hope! The Moneysaving one is definitely promising as very recent, clearly the staff at the centres (as opposed to on the phone) do have some disrection...

I have booked an early appointment for Newport tomorrow and will try my luck. Nothing to lose anyway (apart from £128!)

If that doesn't work I will try the MP route, although can't see that yielding fruit in 2 days.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Good luck!

And keep us updated.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Unfortunately the UK government website clearly states the 1 day service is not available to "Replace a lost, stolen or damaged adult passport", which is ultimately what they are claiming about yours, but I think your plan of turning up and hoping for discretion might be the best plan.

Your position with any travel insurance is possibly very confused as well, they often don't cover for losses due to 'confiscated' documents, but often do for loss or damage. A confusing state of affairs!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I had my passport stolen in a bulglary 10 days before travel. Was a nightmare. Same day appointment told it would be issued in a week meant I would be able to collect it 2 days prior to departure. At the interview asked if I wanted to pay another £40 for 4 hour service. Walked home 5 hours later with new passport. Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.