Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me? [Who thinks London hotel prices are increasing]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Is it just me? [Who thinks London hotel prices are increasing]

I was monitoring hotel prices (for some time) for an imminent trip to the London & UK and got the impression that hotel rates have risen quite substantially in the last 6-12 months. Not only for chains like Hilton & (particularly) Starwood, but also more modest ones like IHG. And not only in London, but elsewhere in the UK as well.

Am I right or not? If yes, are the hotels raising rates to compensate for the decline in the £?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
(for example) £100 is still the same as £100.

the fact that the $-£ rate used to be X and is now Y is neither here nor there. The hotel still wants / needs it's £100.

Room rates are also a function of demand. It's quite possible there a big events that are distorting pricing more than the exchange rate.

And actually with the lower exchange rates it's visitors to the UK that are getting the better deal. My hotel costs for a recent visit to the US were more expensive for me because of a change in the rate.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The weaker pound gives hotels with a large proportion of foreign guests the opportunity to raise their rates with less risk of losing business. I don't know whether they're actually doing so, of course.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
(for example) £100 is still the same as £100.

the fact that the $-£ rate used to be X and is now Y is neither here nor there. The hotel still wants / needs it's £100.

Room rates are also a function of demand. It's quite possible there a big events that are distorting pricing more than the exchange rate.

And actually with the lower exchange rates it's visitors to the UK that are getting the better deal. My hotel costs for a recent visit to the US were more expensive for me because of a change in the rate.
Exchange rates have nothing to do with my question - which is that the same hotel appears (to me) charging much more than they used to - without any extrinsic factor (like peak demand).
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by golmaale
Exchange rates have nothing to do with my question - which is that the same hotel appears (to me) charging much more than they used to - without any extrinsic factor (like peak demand).
You raised exchange rates ...

Am I right or not? If yes, are the hotels raising rates to compensate for the decline in the £?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:27 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's as others have said. The weaker pound is a factor. If it's cheaper for tourists to come and stay, prices will rise, either because the market will stand it, or through increased occupancy (or both).

On the other side, operating costs have increased - partly due to the cost of imports going up.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:51 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:25 pm

It has been talked about a fair bit, mostly in relation to Brexit Britain. The fall in the Pound has made the UK more appealing both to foreign tourists as well as domestic who now find that their holidays abroad are more expensive. This has worked well for British tourism who have capitalised on this by raising their prices. As long as they don't raise them too much, they'll still sell their rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.