Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

5 star hotels in London, so many options?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott

Hi All,

There is a long time to go before i actually take this trip, but i was looking at some 5 star hotels in London and realized there are way too many (not necessarily bad)!

Hoping some locals can tell me what is considered some of the best 5 star hotels in London? Bulgari Hotel has my attention right now - but im not really sure I see the full value in paying $1000 per night unless its a magical experience or something I've wanted to do for some time (which Bulgari may not be).

Having said that - what are some good options?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
There are indeed a lot of 5 star hotels in London but that hides a wide spectrum of options. I would break them down into some rough categories (generalisation alert!):

• Boutique / small hotels - Like the Bvlgari
  • Traditional established hotels - Claridges, Savoy, Dorchester, Lanesborough, Ritz etc. note this doesn't mean stuffy and old fashioned
  • Modern and contemporary - Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Mondrian, St. Martins Lane etc.

There are clearly many I haven't mentioned.

Have a think what style and size of hotel you'd like and what sort of facilities are important to you and we can guide you better.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My hotel decisions in London regardless of stars are based on location and planned activities. I've stayed in many different areas and they all have something to offer.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might find this thread to be helpful in your search:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Definitely choose one convenient for what you will be doing. After that go for your preferred style.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84
There are indeed a lot of 5 star hotels in London but that hides a wide spectrum of options. I would break them down into some rough categories (generalisation alert!):

• Boutique / small hotels - Like the Bvlgari
  • Traditional established hotels - Claridges, Savoy, Dorchester, Lanesborough, Ritz etc. note this doesn't mean stuffy and old fashioned
  • Modern and contemporary - Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Mondrian, St. Martins Lane etc.

There are clearly many I haven't mentioned.

Have a think what style and size of hotel you'd like and what sort of facilities are important to you and we can guide you better.
That is a very interesting point. I think my likes would be more modern hotels and boutique hotels. The traditional styled hotels don't appeal as much to me, even though I may dabble in them occasionally (mostly the furniture which while new, is off putting at times).

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You might find this thread to be helpful in your search:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Good pick

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My hotel decisions in London regardless of stars are based on location and planned activities. I've stayed in many different areas and they all have something to offer.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Definitely choose one convenient for what you will be doing. After that go for your preferred style.
What if the the thing I've come to do in London would be to stay in good hotels? :P

I'm only half joking, the location as long as it's central-ish is fine, since I never know what i'm going to do in a city till closer to the date, it's kinda of weird to explain I supose.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jubbing
What if the the thing I've come to do in London would be to stay in good hotels? :P
Then avoid the shiny new baubles and stay at one of the historic 5 star hotels in London. The Ritz, Claridges, Connaught, Savoy, Dorchester to name the best known ones. Most likely I'd choose the Ritz because of location and proximity to a tube station.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:59 am

Then avoid the shiny new baubles and stay at one of the historic 5 star hotels in London. The Ritz, Claridges, Connaught, Savoy, Dorchester to name the best known ones. Most likely I'd choose the Ritz because of location and proximity to a tube station.
Do make sure you investigate The Ritz if you are thinking of staying there. It has a very particular style which isn't to everyone's taste. Modern and contemporary it's not.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:55 am
Suspended

Do make sure you investigate The Ritz if you are thinking of staying there. It has a very particular style which isn't to everyone's taste. Modern and contemporary it's not.
This is true. For example:

CLIENT RESPONSIBILITIES

Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel’s architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans are not permitted) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers or sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:25 am

This is true. For example:
It's good that you can go to the bar without a tie now. I've worn some rather strange looking things given by the cloakroom attendant in the past.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Okay - let me pose it this way - if Bulgari is a no, what are some SIMILAR hotels to Bulgari in terms of modern?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don't have an awful lot of experience, but I will say that I very much enjoyed my stay at the Savoy a couple months back. Good central location, absolutely phenomenal bars (both the American and Beaufort are excellent), and very nice rooms with updated modern amenities that retain a very classic, elegant feel to them.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Some good suggestions in the FT Luxury Hotels Forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ury-hotel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...s-langham.html
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't have an awful lot of experience, but I will say that I very much enjoyed my stay at the Savoy a couple months back. Good central location, absolutely phenomenal bars (both the American and Beaufort are excellent), and very nice rooms with updated modern amenities that retain a very classic, elegant feel to them.
I hated the Savoy and will never go back. The whole hotel seems dated, with an overly snotty staff who clearly regarded themselves as superior to the hotel guests. Dinner in the fish restaurant was awful. At least 90% of the rooms have absolutely no view, with the majority overlooking other rooms in a dated interior courtyard.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue
It's good that you can go to the bar without a tie now. I've worn some rather strange looking things given by the cloakroom attendant in the past.
Some time ago (?15 years!!!) a friend was staying at the Connaught, and we met up and went out for dinner. We were both dressed "smart casual" a la turn of the century (jackets and shirts, no ties -- would be "smart" these days). Walking back through the hotel and were chatting in the lobby for about 5 minutes, before saying goodbye. The general manager approaches and asks if we would like to don ties if we were going to stand in the lobby for much longer!

These times have long gone, which is mostly a shame.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.