Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

All London black cabs now take cards – experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All London black cabs now take cards – experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
I've been in a few black cabs lately that had the stickers for credit cards but a little-handwritten sign that you only see once you get in that says "CASH ONLY".
At least you can now report them for doing so. I also took one cab driver to task who had a sign up to the effect of "We are now forced to take cards, which is more expensive for us. Please consider this when tipping your driver." My tip was that he remembered the increased fares when the card rule came in, and so he got nothing from me...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Morland
At least you can now report them for doing so. I also took one cab driver to task who had a sign up to the effect of "We are now forced to take cards, which is more expensive for us. Please consider this when tipping your driver." My tip was that he remembered the increased fares when the card rule came in, and so he got nothing from me...
I thought about it but, assuming it's TFL, my prior experiences make me think I'll just end up spending my time getting run-around with no result.

There are also multiple payment systems in use. One of them is just a tap and go. Brilliant!

There are at least 2 that lead you through a series of menus which imply you must leave a tip to get to the next menu. I don't mind leaving a tip, but why make it looks like a requirement?

On the whole, using the cards (especially contactless) is a great improvement.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I was told (do not know whether it is true or not but it sounds convincing) that a lot of the reluctance to take cards came from drivers who were renting other peoples' cabs and paying a percentage. Cash is easier to forget to report

As to the advantage of black cabs over cab services one people not living in London may forget is that only black cabs have access to (most of the) bus lanes. This makes a huge difference at busy times. For example I live near King's Cross. It would drive me mad not to be able to use the bus lanes in the Euston Road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.