Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carlisle to London (train)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Carlisle to London (train)

We are planing on the last day of our vacation there to take a full day trip (private tour) of The Lake District. I found that the Caledonian sleeper train leaves at 01:42 (Saturday) and arrives London at 06:49, which gives us time to get to LGW for our flight at 10:55 (do-able, yes?). Is there a place in the train station for us to just relax until it's time for us to leave? Our tour will be over around 19:00.

A few other questions....are there lockers to store luggage at the train station (Euston, as well)? Or if we took this sleeper train to London what would you recommend doing until it's time to leave? How early do they let us board the train?

I appreciate any insight or suggestions on planning this trip back to London.

Thank you for any help and insight!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:58 am

I know nowt about Carlisle but I suspect there's not much in the station at that time - you'd be best to find a pub nearby (but pick wisely on a Friday night!).

There's left luggage in Euston but I wouldn't suggest hanging around there. You could instead wander over to St Pancras (short walk) and have some breakfast there e.g. at the Booking Office before taking the Thameslink to Gatwick. But I'd probably just head straight to Gatwick and give myself time to relax airside before the flight - suggest buying access to No. 1 Lounge if you don't have it from status/class of travel.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Carlisle is pretty wild at the weekend!
There used to be an agreement for sleeper passengers to use the facilities at the (adjacent) Hallmark Hotel. I don't know if that is still the case with the new franchise, perhaps it would be best to ask them directly. (Or directly contact the hotel)

The train is not timetabled to be in Carlisle for more than about 5 minutes, so you won't be able board it early. (It may actually arrive something like 20 minutes earlier, but that doesn't help much)

There are no luggage storage facilities at Carlisle. I would, again, suggest talking to the Hallmark Hotel.

Last edited by big_mac; Nov 29, 2016 at 10:26 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:26 am

I'd probably get the 19:49 from Carlisle instead which arrives in London 23:39, there are trains throughout the night from St Pancras or you could get some decent sleep in a hotel. Booked ahead it's probably as cheap as the Sleeper without the need to hang around a cold station (it's a law that all stations are cold) in the small hours
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
I'd probably get the 19:49 from Carlisle instead which arrives in London 23:39, there are trains throughout the night from St Pancras or you could get some decent sleep in a hotel. Booked ahead it's probably as cheap as the Sleeper without the need to hang around a cold station (it's a law that all stations are cold) in the small hours
That was another option we were considering. Once we get back to London how hard is it to get to Gatwick that time of night? Or should we stay in Victoria for the night and take the Gatwick Express in the morning?

Thank you to everyone who is giving help and input!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
That was another option we were considering. Once we get back to London how hard is it to get to Gatwick that time of night? Or should we stay in Victoria for the night and take the Gatwick Express in the morning?

Thank you to everyone who is giving help and input!
Pretty easy, you arrive at Euston Station and take the tube one stop to St Pancras from where there are trains throughout the night at 24 and 54 mins past the hour.

You could even walk from Euston to St Pancras, its only 5 minutes along a major road and there will be plenty of people about at that time of night still.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Pretty easy, you arrive at Euston Station and take the tube one stop to St Pancras from where there are trains throughout the night at 24 and 54 mins past the hour.

You could even walk from Euston to St Pancras, its only 5 minutes along a major road and there will be plenty of people about at that time of night still.
Add on that we'll be wheeling luggage with us. Carry-on suitcase and backpack, each. Would you recommend this, still?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Bizarrely, Bar Solo, by the station, does left luggage. Check with them to be sure.

Carlisle is a very pleasant little city, worth a quick look round, at least to see the castle, diminutive cathedral and market.

It suffers from market town syndrome on a weekend night - lots of people from lots of small towns and villages as well as the city itself, living for the weekend. Expect terrifying alcohol consumption, and the associated behaviour, both fun and fighty!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Is the Ibis Hotel (Carlisle) a safe place on a Friday night for two women? We were told there are pubs nearby. That doesn't bother us unless it's not safe.

And....are trains pretty timely and on schedule usually? Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:26 pm

The Caledonian Sleeper has the worst timekeeping of any train service in the UK. (Actually, with the nonsense at GoVia/Southern, I suspect they may soon lose that title). This is not to throw mud at CS. They run a very complicated operation, where trains join/split at various points. There are an awful lot of interfaces that can pick up delay.
Your appetite for risk might be different to mine, but there is no way I would use the sleeper to get to a morning flight from Gatwick. Get the "normal" Virgin train, then transfer to St Pancras (which is a short walk) for the train to Gatwick. Don't take the tube for this leg - you'll walk longer getting to/from tube platforms than just walking it.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
The Caledonian Sleeper has the worst timekeeping of any train service in the UK. (Actually, with the nonsense at GoVia/Southern, I suspect they may soon lose that title). This is not to throw mud at CS. They run a very complicated operation, where trains join/split at various points. There are an awful lot of interfaces that can pick up delay.
Your appetite for risk might be different to mine, but there is no way I would use the sleeper to get to a morning flight from Gatwick. Get the "normal" Virgin train, then transfer to St Pancras (which is a short walk) for the train to Gatwick. Don't take the tube for this leg - you'll walk longer getting to/from tube platforms than just walking it.
We plan on taking the CS from Euston to Edinburgh Waverly. We aren't on a set schedule so we figure if there are delays it won't cause problems other than shortening our sightseeing time in Edinburgh.

For returning to London and heading to LGW....if we head to LGW immediately after our return from Carlisle is it feasible to sit and wait at the airport for our flight later that morning? If we get a hotel we'll only be there for 4-5 hours tops.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:40 pm

The "landside" parts of Gatwick are open all night. The seats won't be especially comfortable, but you can certainly wait there. You won't be alone.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
+1

One of the sleeper services (the one from Fort William) passes by my house every night. As a diesel, you notice it. I often notice it not passing by when it should...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'd also suggest that you put aside any romantic notions of the sleeper; there are new trains on the way, but they're not here yet. Much like on a plane, I find the only way I sleep is after a skinful.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I'd also suggest that you put aside any romantic notions of the sleeper; there are new trains on the way, but they're not here yet. Much like on a plane, I find the only way I sleep is after a skinful.
Do you know when the new trains will be there? We're going to be traveling the end of August next year. We are guessing we won't get much sleep.....but at least we're moving on while getting down time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.