Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not quite Carlisle but something northern and sweet is the Eccles cake - very nice and unlikely to be found in the US.

More generally, UK chocolate is universally better than US chocolate. Even the same brands (Cadbury, Kit Kat etc) taste better here - so fill yer boots! British biscuits like digestives/hobnobs are great too.

On the other hand cake mix is less of a thing in these parts and nothing springs to mind on that front, but the supermarkets will I'm sure have some brownie mix or whatever.

Also remember we don't call it 'candy' - it's sweets (non-chocolatey) or chocolate.
... and in "UK English" biscuits are what you call "cookies". US biscuits are closer to what we call "scones", but of a savoury type.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...erican-biscuit
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
... and in "UK English" biscuits are what you call "cookies". US biscuits are closer to what we call "scones", but of a savoury type.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...erican-biscuit
Except that American cookies tend to be soft and chewy whereas English biscuits are crispy - unless they are stale in which case they become soft and chewy.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Except that American cookies tend to be soft and chewy whereas English biscuits are crispy - unless they are stale in which case they become soft and chewy.
Lets no go into things tasting of rubber either, that will just confuse folks

... although these might make a nice souvenir:
Tool Pencils with Rubbers
https://www.dotcomgiftshop.com/set-tool-pencils-rubbers
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:49 pm
glg

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But oddly the closest thing you'll find to a digestive biscuit in the US are graham crackers, but graham crackers are generally drier than digestive biscuits.

Another thing I've enjoyed as an American are all the interesting flavors of crisps (US - potato chips).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

I am loving ALL of the comments of this post! Keep them coming!! Thank you!

Curious....we have a private tour scheduled with someone in the Lake District. What is a good gift we could bring her from America that would be interesting or unique? Flavored crisps? (I found that interesting.....are those not the usual in UK?)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:33 pm
glg

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Flavored crisps? (I found that interesting.....are those not the usual in UK?)
nono, quite the opposite. I'm an American and the variety of flavors available in the UK is quite different from the US.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
I am loving ALL of the comments of this post! Keep them coming!! Thank you!

Curious....we have a private tour scheduled with someone in the Lake District. What is a good gift we could bring her from America that would be interesting or unique? Flavored crisps? (I found that interesting.....are those not the usual in UK?)
Firstly don't bring Hershey's Kisses - they're awful.

I also wouldn't do crisps as they're unlikely to be of particular interest.

How about a pack of graham crackers and marshmallows (and maybe some ok chocolate) so she can make s'mores on a cold sodden Lakes night.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How about a nice bottle of bourbon that is not available in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.