Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connections/tough decsions in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Tight connections/tough decsions in LHR

I have a post holiday travel situation I'm stuck in with two not so great options and at a loss on what to choose.

The situation:

• landing at LHR at 5:35am on Jan 10th and need to get to PVR for work asap (i.e. same day)

• the only viable plan I see is the AF/AM flights CDG-MEX-PVR departing at 11am and arriving at 8:39pm

The rub is getting from LHR to CDG is a little tight and I'm not sure which of my two choices is the lesser evil:
  1. 7:20-9:35am BA flight gives me about an hour and a half on either end but both transfers require a terminal change and going from Terminal 4 to 5 in LHR seems an ominous hurdle.

2. 6:40-9am AF flight puts my whole (2nd) trip on one itin with acceptable connections IF I can make it to that 6:40 flight, which is a crazy tight connection but they are both in Terminal 4 in LHR

I know LHR and CDG pretty darn well and pass through both all the time and I still don't know which plan to go (a.k.a hope) for.

Please, FlyerTalkers, help!

(admin: I couldn't really figure the best place to post this so please move as you see fit )
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, David, I think you are a bit stuffed.

I'm not sure where you are coming from at 0535 (suspect Far East), but these won't land any earlier, even if they can, and you then have the problem of immigration and luggage, I suspect (if you are hand baggage only you can do an airside transfer). 65 minutes even within T4 is extremely tight, as you have a maximum of 40 minutes to get to the gate before it closes. If you are on a big bird you may have 15 minutes before you even get off the plane. What if it is late? Then your whole trip to PVR is canx. Not a nice prospect.

The other option is no better (and probably worse). You might just make the CDG flight, but same comment as above about bags applies, just now you need to make the terminal transfer which can take a long time.

Is there anything you can do to move your inbound flight up a day?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Spot on, LondonElite.

I'm coming in from KUL. Looking into pushing up my KUL-LHR, but it's a bit complicated.

As to the 15 min for getting off the plane, do you mean taxi time or slow people time? Flying biz, so that helps if you meant the latter, but still not feeling optimistic about the plan.

Assuming, biz & no checked bags, if you had to pick one option which would it be?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:19 am
Suspended

OK, so no bags and business class certainly helps. If I had to choose I'd stay within T4. Get off and go through flight connections (BP for CDG flight already in hand.) As long as you present yourself for that flight, the rest is protected (not the case with the other option where you may fail in CDG.) I'd still be a bit nervous but it can be done if your inbound is on time (otherwise forget it!) My 15 min comment was wheels down to stepping in the terminal so maybe cut that down a bit since you'll be off quickly. Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
You didn't mention why you have to go through London, though I assume that is a given. I only say that, since going in the opposite direction from KUL through SIN, NRT, SYD, etc and on to SFO, IAH, DFW would solve all of your problems, as there are quite a few options.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:47 pm
Suspended

My guess is that KUL-LHR is a J redemption tix which cannot easily be amended.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is concerning a connection in LHR, we'll move this thread to the UK forum for those with further insight.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Why not skip kul - lhr and fly to pvr from kul, then back to london (where I assume you live).

Not cheap, by the way. I find it for 6k euros in J class.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just thinking outside the box...

Are there any charters you could take to PVR? Thomson only fly on the 11th but there may be other options available from London.

Or otherwise I see you can book the LHR-CDG-MEX-PVR route on an AM code. If you had a sufficiently flexible ticket, if you missed the connection there's another AM flight LHR-MEX-PVR that evening you could switch to, arriving at 8am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.