Search

No.1 lounge at BHX - a quick review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
No.1 lounge at BHX - a quick review

I was heading away with my wife, our three kids and my parents from Birmingham last week. It was just a short hop so booking anything other than Y was going to be hard to justify.

However, security queues at BHX can be lengthy and although you can buy fast track for a few pounds each, the No. 1 lounge offers this as a free bonus if you book in advance.

I was able to get a decent discount via a newspaper subscription, but the cost for the seven of us still ran to over £100. Vouchers were e-mailed out and these included both the lounge invite and barcodes for fast track security access.

So roll forward to departure day. Having checked in online there was no need to drop by the desk so we were straight up to security and right to the front of the line - a dedicated scanner was waiting for us and we were quickly through. That saved 15 mins or so in a queue so a great investment.

Next up was the lounge. On arrival we were checked in and advised by the agent that they had reserved a corner seating area for us. Wow. Now that's a marked change from the hassle of travelling in a large group and struggling to find seats together in the lounge.

Food was as described on the lounge website. https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...nge/birmingham
Portions are on the small side but tasted good - between the 7 of us I think we ordered every item on the menu. Only one barman on duty so at times there was a bit of a queue for service but I was able to time it well. Some very decent micro-brews on offer, as well as mid-range spirits. Wine looked uninspiring.

The place wasn't busy when we arrived just before midday but by 1pm it was certainly filling up. The upper mezzanine wasn't opened during our visit.

Anyway, on balance we got fast track security and lunch, but the real wow factor for me was the lounge proactively reserving us a decent sized seating area. If you're travelling in a group, I would certainly recommend this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Sounds like you had a good experience and I wonder if that had anything to do with booking direct. Using the Priority Pass card, it's a different story.

I've used (or tried to) the one in Heathrow and out of 4 occasions I only got in once. That time I did pay the £5 g'teed entrance fee, but they didn't ask me for it. Every other time I've been turned away saying they were too busy. The Servisair alternative is not worth wasting time or money on.

However when I did get in, I found it quite nice. Much better than the Maharaba lounges in Dubai which are only a couple of steps above the ServiceAir one, but the Premium Plaza lounge in Hong Kong rates as my current favorite.

I'm flying out of Gatwick in December. Hopefully I'll get in there somewhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.