Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Issued Contactless Card Does Not Work on London Underground

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mizter T

...is what to look for on the card itself.

An example...

If you don't have a contactless card, could you still use the card at the turnstiles if you put it on your iPhone so it's accessible via apple wallet? So essentially, if you tap your iPhone to the pad, will the turnstiles open?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
If you don't have a contactless card, could you still use the card at the turnstiles if you put it on your iPhone so it's accessible via apple wallet? So essentially, if you tap your iPhone to the pad, will the turnstiles open?
If it's an American card, yes--but with huge caveats. It'll likely only work consistently with Mastercard and not so much with the rest.

Other countries? Should work fine regardless of the card AFAIK.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
My SPG Amex card has worked on many trips to the UK when using the Tube.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:47 am

Took my US American Express platinum contactless to London this past weekend. Previous trips with previous issues of the card worked fine on the tube. This time, got "card not accepted" when I tried to use it. Worked fine as contactless everywhere else in London.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Complain to London Transport and Amex - if they receive enough complaints, perhaps they will do something about it.

Originally Posted by manda99
Took my US American Express platinum contactless to London this past weekend. Previous trips with previous issues of the card worked fine on the tube. This time, got "card not accepted" when I tried to use it. Worked fine as contactless everywhere else in London.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Temporary issue? I don't think anything changed with contactless on the cards recently.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Is it the same card number as last time?

Last time, did you check that you were charged the expected amounts for your travel? What happens if you try to view your travel history on the TfL website now?

If you don't touch in or out properly several times (which may not be your fault), or TfL tries to take a payment and it is refused by the bank, then the card eventually will be blocked for further travel. If it's the same card number that has previously worked on TfL and now doesn't, and works everywhere else, some problem with the charges is the most likely culprit.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Is it the same card number as last time?

Last time, did you check that you were charged the expected amounts for your travel? What happens if you try to view your travel history on the TfL website now?

If you don't touch in or out properly several times (which may not be your fault), or TfL tries to take a payment and it is refused by the bank, then the card eventually will be blocked for further travel. If it's the same card number that has previously worked on TfL and now doesn't, and works everywhere else, some problem with the charges is the most likely culprit.
Thanks to fraud, I get new new numbers fairly often, so I'm certain it's not the same number I had last time I used it (over a year ago). I tried it at two different stations and got the same message. I've never attempted to look at travel history by credit card number.

It's the only contactless card I have though and I special request the contactless version just for when I'm over there. So that's annoying. I could've used Apple Pay I suppose, but I start panicking that I'm screwing up the whole line.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Ditto - my US Amex Plat (new metal issue) has mysteriously stopped working for TfL fare payments. The card works at other contactless terminals in the London area.

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My platinum card worked fine last summer but also stopped working this year. I complained to AmEx and asked them to investigate.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
My UK-issued Amex contactless has stopped working at retail outlets randomly dotted across the UK (Asda, I'm looking at you for one) so I wonder if it's more than just an international problem.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stut
My UK-issued Amex contactless has stopped working at retail outlets randomly dotted across the UK (Asda, I'm looking at you for one) so I wonder if it's more than just an international problem.
Has it *stopped* working or just never worked at those places?

Some ASDAs as well as other stores just don't take Amex contactless even though chip&PIN Amex works fine.

I got stuck behind a tourist trying to use Canadian card(s) on a bus yesterday, which didn't work. I would have offered to let him use one of my cards, but the last time I did that, I got verbally abused because the recipient of my favour paid me £2 in cash and when I didn't have 50p in change, demanded the £2 coin back (I refused).
sarahluv likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:30 pm

Has anyone figured out the cause of the technology incompatibility between contactless with US cards and TfL?

I was really looking forward to using Android Pay (loaded with my US based Delta AmEx) on the tube. I registered for an online Oyster account and was able to add my Delta Amex to the Oyster account. I was expecting to use Android Paybut repeatedly got "Card not Accepted" message when I attempted to. I am able to use the Amex under Android Pay for all other contactless merchants just as I am in the US but not for the tube. I will go ahead and request a physical contactless card from American Express when back in the States but it seems people with the US contactless cards are still having the same issues.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:41 pm

My card did not work last time, but Apple Pay tied to the same card worked fine, worth a try!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Funny i just found this thread. I attempted to use apple pay with my US based citi card at the tube in May--no dice-- and tried many times. What a waste. Ended up buying a pricy single at the window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.